cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay/Fedex is practically a criminal organization!

Just got charged $26 extra on a simple 32"x3"x3" package sent from PA to FL. through ebay labels/fedex.

After several phone calls just got a message from ebay- Fedex charged additional handling because of the package even though all dimensions and weight were identical to the estimated cost of $11.34!    Sorry but there is nothing we can do- The packaging was a mailing tube that i bought at the local FEDEX store!!!- industry standard shipping container- except ONLY on EBAY- Fedex does not accept any packaging other the square and rectangular boxes- no tubes..... only on EBAY- you can ship it through any other platform without the service charge that is hidden in 15 pages of fine print.

This is just ridiculous- all they do is ship.... They are a  SHIPPING COMPANY-   Record profits in the billions the last few years- now i know why- crooked deals and unethical business practices... a perfect fit for ebay

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Ebay/Fedex is practically a criminal organization!

@siamjane8 wrote:

@mam98031 

Nobody else allows ridiculous addition after the fact charges like ebay does- its a " ebay will look the other way" kinda set up with fedex and ups. Unethical.   

I have a UPS direct account and they absolutely will charge back, after the fact, surcharges, corrections, oversize, etc well after the package has been tendered.  

It is requisite on you, the shipper, to ensure that all the data entries are correct and your package does not trigger any accessorial charges.  This will also allow you to set up your listings knowing what the actual shipping charges will be so there are no surprises.  

Message 16 of 39
latest reply

@mam98031 

Don't get rude or condescending with me.  "  You are blissfully misinformed."  

Btw mam, I was not trying to be rude or condescending.... for many years you have stated here on the boards in various posts that eBay never gets money for shipping and that they are only passing on costs from shipping companies. This is what eBay reps would always say as well although we knew it to be untrue because from a financial and business point of view-that would be impossible especially from a company like eBay that will squeeze every last penny from a stone. 

If you have come to understand otherwise then I see why you would think I was being rude.  No offense intended, I was just surprised to see you change your mind.... But I do appreciate your willingness to come to a different conclusion.

Message 17 of 39
latest reply

I use UPS for about 50% of my shipments and have never had an upcharge. 

I hear about upcharges here on the boards with FedEx quite often. Some with UPS,  but mostly FedEx. 

So, was this upcharge due to the "irregular package" box not being checked? 

Posting ID
Message 18 of 39
latest reply

@lakefor94 

No - everything was input correctly on the shipping calculator.  Fedex now considers mailing tubes not acceptable which triggers their additional handling charge.  This is buried in their 15 page fine print explanations of charges document.  This is also specific to the contract with ebay and does not apply to other 3rd party shippers.  

Its just a way for fedex to take advantage of ebay sellers WITH ebays permission( we need ebay to act and negotion good terms of service for us).  The mailing tube was purchased at a fedex store and also if i ship from there or through "going postal" stores- there is no additional handling or back charges.   

I prefer to use ebay labels because of the convenience but unless they have addressed this with the "new" shipping update- I may have to buy my labels elsewhere.

I also got stung with a additional handling months ago when i shipped a tire wrapped in shrink wrap like we have been doing for years.  Now if its not in a carboard box, you get hit with the $20 fee.  This as well is specific to ebay labels/fedex.   I often drop off my tires at the fedex drop-off and it goes in a pile if tires that are not in any packaging- just the labels stuck to the tire like has been the industry standard.   Fedex employee had no idea what i was talking about and said all the tire companies ship "naked" tires.

Ebay seems to make "bad deals" in their contract negotiations to get better rates- but they are just passing that on to sellers behind the scenes with fake additional handing charges.

Message 19 of 39
latest reply

@siamjane8 wrote:

I also got stung with a additional handling months ago when i shipped a tire wrapped in shrink wrap like we have been doing for years.  Now if its not in a carboard box, you get hit with the $20 fee.  This as well is specific to ebay labels/fedex.   I often drop off my tires at the fedex drop-off and it goes in a pile if tires that are not in any packaging- just the labels stuck to the tire like has been the industry standard.   Fedex employee had no idea what i was talking about and said all the tire companies ship "naked" tires.

I remember the first time I got clipped by UPS for their "Not in cardboard box" fee.   Had no idea that was a thing.   I had shipped a customer order in the original US Government Wood shipping crate and thought that would have been the best way to do it.   UPS delivered it no problem, but 4 weeks later I see a $35 fee for that package on my statement.  Look at the details and its because it was not in a cardboard shipping container.    Ultimately it was my fault because I did not take the time to read all the fine print in the UPS charter which is a binding contract.  Granted, it stung a bit to lose that $35...but it is also a mistake that I never made again.  

Message 20 of 39
latest reply

@siamjane8 wrote:

@mam98031 

Don't get rude or condescending with me.  "  You are blissfully misinformed."  

Btw mam, I was not trying to be rude or condescending.... for many years you have stated here on the boards in various posts that eBay never gets money for shipping and that they are only passing on costs from shipping companies. This is what eBay reps would always say as well although we knew it to be untrue because from a financial and business point of view-that would be impossible especially from a company like eBay that will squeeze every last penny from a stone. 

If you have come to understand otherwise then I see why you would think I was being rude.  No offense intended, I was just surprised to see you change your mind.... But I do appreciate your willingness to come to a different conclusion.

Yes you were.  It is kind of like saying something like With all Due Respect, you can just about bet that what follows isn't all that respectful.  

I have NOT said that Ebay doesn't get paid for providing the SERVICE of shipping labels and for transferring the payments to the appropriate carrier.  That would certainly be a bad business move for them.  What I HAVE said is that IDK what that amount is.  IDK what Ebay makes from providing this service nor do I know what Amazon, Etsy, Pirate Ship, Stamps.com or any of the other online postage providers get paid by the carriers.

Ebay earns a FVF on whatever the seller charges for shipping whether it is rolled into the price of the product or it is stated separately on the listing.  Ebay also earns money from having a Shipping service, just like all the other similar sites that offer one.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 21 of 39
latest reply

Fedex accepts all sizes of tubes, they accept items in garbage bags such as blow molds , even hard shell luggage containers for heavy breakable items. AS long its got a label they will take anything. I have seen it and done it. But then they know me and respect my business. I think the person who did your dimensions and weight in the warehouse screwed up. Yes they do weigh again and dimensions also. It happened to me once by the P. O. Item weighed 3 lbs then told e-bay 23 lbs and charge me. I got my money back weeks later.

Message 22 of 39
latest reply

For all of ebays faults, this isn't one of them. That falls squarely on fedex. Fedex is as corrupt as an organization can get. They have theft rings inside some of their largest hubs, they are aware of it, and they won't do anything about it because it doesn't affect them. Packages that go lost (as in never delivered and verified as lost by fedex) they will deny claims on. 

Straight from a senior paralegals mouth at their corporate office (in writing) 'no one has jurisdiction over us, we are protected by the tarmac agreement and don't have to answer to anyone.'

Message 23 of 39
latest reply

I think FedEx Express is a good service.

I think where the issues are is with FedEx Ground, an operation created by buying RPS.

FedEx Ground is absolute garbage and I refuse to use it.

Message 24 of 39
latest reply

Just an update-  I always want to be fair and give credit where credit is due.

A member of the ebay shipping team did see this thread and reach out o me privately and was very helpful and resolved the over charge for me.  We had a very nice and enlightening conversation about some of the shipping issues and how ebay is attempting to make it a better experience for us.

My take-a-way was that the shipping team does monitor these boards in hopes of catching issues and  improving them and that the team is working hard to make it better, but like anything takes some time.

Thanks

Message 25 of 39
latest reply

@siamjane8 wrote:

@lakefor94 

No - everything was input correctly on the shipping calculator.  Fedex now considers mailing tubes not acceptable which triggers their additional handling charge.  This is buried in their 15 page fine print explanations of charges document.  This is also specific to the contract with ebay and does not apply to other 3rd party shippers.      

@siamjane8 

Let me see if I'm understanding correctly. 

You've now read the 15 page Fedex contract and it specifically states that "only for shipping labels purchased through ebay, there is an additional surcharge for mailing tubes." 

Am I understanding your post correctly? 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 26 of 39
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta 

Yes.    Fedex contracts differently with different 3rd party resellers of labels.   I have recently shipped mailing tubes through fedex on a couple other platforms or in store retail locations and that additional $20 handling fee is not charged.   ( they also assess a residential delivery charge and fuel surcharge on the fee so i was actually charge an additional $25.67 in total)

Furthermore the person i spoke with in the shipping dept. understands that this time, ebay has not provided a checkbox or any way for a seller to even let fedex know it is a tube when purchasing the label so there is no way for a seller to charge the buyer upfront for the "correct" postage.

They are aware and are looking into better solutions

Message 27 of 39
latest reply

Just to clarify,

I just dropped off my packages at the "going postal" fedex drop-off point an hour ago. They offer fedex dhl usps ups and a few others as well plus full boxing and shipping services. I asked the owner f they ever get back charges or additional handling fees from fedex or any of the other shippers.   He said no- its in our contract that was negotiated from the start. We do not get additional charges after the fact.  Its all done at the point of sale and he also put in the dimensions and addresses of the package i had sent and the price was within a couple dollars of what the ebay label was estimated at....with no additional handling charge for it being in a round mailing tube.      

Some of these issues are specific to ebay like i said.    I do understand why the provision was made to back-charge ebay customers because there is no checks and balance as to what the average person will enter for dimension and weight.    But in this case there is not a vast difference in package size- nobody "cheated" to get a lower rate.    The additional handling charge is just a "gotcha" from fedex that most people may miss when billed 2 weeks later- so they have a bonus revenue stream.

Message 28 of 39
latest reply

Surcharges can occur no matter where you buy your shipping for major carriers.

When I had surcharges from UPS and had my own UPS account with daily pickup, I had little trouble getting incorrect surcharges reversed. I also had ALL my damage claims paid.

When you buy on anyone else's UPS account, your complaints are ignored.

Message 29 of 39
latest reply

It is entirely likely that a B&M has a different contract than purchasing on the internet.

The B&M actually gets to see the package, take the weight and dimensions.  On the internet that is not true.  

Not sure why that isn't simply logical.  Two completely different things which is why it is handled two different ways.

It isn't as complicated as you want to make it, nor is it Ebay's fault.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 30 of 39
latest reply