cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay/Fedex is practically a criminal organization!

Just got charged $26 extra on a simple 32"x3"x3" package sent from PA to FL. through ebay labels/fedex.

After several phone calls just got a message from ebay- Fedex charged additional handling because of the package even though all dimensions and weight were identical to the estimated cost of $11.34!    Sorry but there is nothing we can do- The packaging was a mailing tube that i bought at the local FEDEX store!!!- industry standard shipping container- except ONLY on EBAY- Fedex does not accept any packaging other the square and rectangular boxes- no tubes..... only on EBAY- you can ship it through any other platform without the service charge that is hidden in 15 pages of fine print.

This is just ridiculous- all they do is ship.... They are a  SHIPPING COMPANY-   Record profits in the billions the last few years- now i know why- crooked deals and unethical business practices... a perfect fit for ebay

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Ebay/Fedex is practically a criminal organization!

You are blaming Ebay for something that is NOT their fault.  Ebay does not control what a carrier charges no matter how you try to twist that.  What you describe has been a problem many sellers have posted over the years on the threads.  Mostly about Fedex, but some about UPS too.  Your problem is Fedex.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 39
latest reply

Totally agree with you. I NEVER use eBay to purchase shipping labels especially UPS or FedEx since they are only estimates and both UPS and FedEx are infamous for unilateral surcharges. I use Pirate Ship to purchase all my labels USPS and UPS but they don't offer FedEx. Pirate ship has shipper protection from unilateral charges as long as the dims and weights were correct when you purchased the label. 

The unilateral charges are not always about the dim and/or weight. 

https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fedex/us-united-states/services/FXE_FXG_Surcharges_and_Fees_2024.p... 

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

Ebay is only quoting the base price based on weight and size. It wouldn't surprise me if Fedex had a surcharge like "non-rectangular" buried deep in there somewhere which ebay can't know you're ultimately know you're using. Ebay is getting the FVF based on that final weight but it's not a scheme to trick you out of that. I have found that it's best to use PS or Shippo if I have to use UPS or Fedex, they are much more in-depth up-front about the details. Good luck~

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

@mam98031 

You are blissfully misinformed.  Ebay purchases labels from fedex and UPS at negotiated reduced rates from the huge volume of business they provide. They pas on SOME of that rate reduction to sellers but NOT all of it. Ebay makes revenue on each and every label they sell to us as sellers.  That means tha tI am buying the label from or through ebay. I am ebay's customer.   Have you ever tried to call fedex or ups about an issue with an ebay label?- they will not talk to you because you did not buy it- ebay did. Thats the scam- neither company will take responsibility for problems- they send you to the other and back again while BOTH companies are making a nifty profit. 

Nobody else allows ridiculous addition after the fact charges like ebay does- its a " ebay will look the other way" kinda set up with fedex and ups. Unethical.   I buy from ebay . I am ebays customer. I want ebay customer service to address my issues when they come up.

Do you think Pirateship or any other other shipping resellers are all not for profit organizations?  No they are making money on the labels just like ebay is.

Since ebay has announce a different way of handling the ups and fedex billing this month- I hope that they have addressed this issue that is plaguing sellers for too many years.

Just so you know- ebay will continue to pay Fedex and UPS on "terms" like a normal business so they will be collecting our money for the labels up front and holding it until they are billed.  This not a favor to us but a way to hold our money in interest bearing accounts to have another revenue stream for ebay.

I do not have a problem with this but i do expect that they will handle all these issues and back-charges themselves without charging sellers after fact.      

If you think this is unreasonable then ebay should make a way for sellers to back charge buyers after the sale.......... of course that will not happen- its unethical.... but thats my point - why is it ok for ebay to do it to us?

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

Don't get rude or condescending with me.  "  You are blissfully misinformed."  

All providers of carrier fees / postage / carrier charges get a portion of that money to keep.  How else would Pirate ship, stamps.com, etc. etc. stay in business.  It is a logical thing.  So YES Ebay, Amazon, Etsy, Mercari, Poshmark, Offerup, etc. also make money off of shipping from the various carriers.

Besides I've never said that Ebay doesn't make money off of shipping labels.  So I'm unsure as to why you think you need to school me.  I have no idea what percentages they get so I have no knowledge if what they get is a "nifty profit".  But since you seem to know, what is it that they make off of the labels?

Ebay has NOT looked the other way on Fedex and UPS doing these after charge, they just simply don't have the power to stop them at the time.  To my knowledge these fees from the carriers charged at a later time was not subject to Ebay FVFs.  I could be wrong, but I've never heard a seller say it was.  I could have missed it however.

I think the new format is intended to decrease or get rid of this problem we have had for years as it sure hasn't been fair to sellers.

Not sure why you have such an attitude about Ebay getting paid for the service of providing shipping labels and paying the appropriate carriers, when it is the way it is done by every other similar site as well as those that only exist to sell shipping to people.

"If you think this is unreasonable then ebay should make a way for sellers to back charge buyers after the sale.......... of course that will not happen- its unethical.... but thats my point - why is it ok for ebay to do it to us?"  There is the problem.  You are blaming the wrong company.  Ebay did not create this problem.

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

@siamjane8 wrote:

@mam98031 

You are blissfully misinformed.     

There is a surcharge because of the size of the package. Sorry you where misinformed.

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

Why I don't buy fedex or UPS labels on eBay.

You can get surprise surcharges.

I just do UPS on pirateship and skip fedex.

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

You have better luck disputing charges you don't agree with when you have your own account. It isn't worth having your own account unless you ship a lot of packages, but that account comes with a real person rep who can address problems and negotiate prices. If you ship a large enough number of a certain size-weight package, the rep can get you to parity or better than eBay price. 

If you have your own account or use a 3rd party like Pirateship, you can pay with a credit card and get rewards points or cashback. You get rewards on your shipping while depriving eBay of whatever kickback cut they are grifting off your shipping.

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

@coolections are you saying the oversize surcharge was not included in the ebay/fedex calculator? i had the dimension correct when purchasing label.  What is the point of a shipping calculator if it does not calculate the cost?!  Come on collections- you post as if you sell here.....

the actual addition fee was because it was in a shipping tube- "a non regular package"- that is complete **bleep**. but that is what fedex said- it was not an oversize charge.

Between our several accounts we ship over 600 packages a month through ebay- we have an understanding of how it works

@mam98031 i have stated regularly that i have NO issue with ebay getting a profit from the labels- they would be inept if they did not- I have a problem with them ignoring an issue when they come up. If they are profiting- they are the seller and i am the customer- I should be able to get a simple overcharge handled within minutes on the phone not ignored.   I am simply stating that i would expect ebay to as a courtesy handle the overcharge out of the millions of dollars they have built into the shipping program profit margins.   If they do that they are more likely to negotiate a better contract in the future- other companies do not have such an open ended way of charging for labels after the fact- it was designed to intentionally give them the opportunity to sneak in charges like this.

If you get a new part installed at a dealership- they mark up  that part and make a profit.... if that part fails after 2 days- do you go back to the dealer who installed it for you? YES of course you. Do they say sorry- we did not make the part so you have to go to Ford Motor company to get a new one? No of course not.

Message 10 of 39
latest reply

It is  your ASSUMPTION they were ignoring the issue.  I don't know what was going on behind the scenes between Ebay, Fedex and UPS, and I doubt you did or do either.   

Are you of the belief that you are the only seller that has experienced this with Fedex or UPS?  I don't really think you believe that to be true.  So how many sellers should Ebay offer this "courtesy" refund to?  What would be the terms / rules to get this?

Hopefully the new program Ebay recently announced will help this problem.  Only time will tell.

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

You are blaming Ebay for something that is NOT their fault.  Ebay does not control what a carrier charges no matter how you try to twist that.  What you describe has been a problem many sellers have posted over the years on the threads.  Mostly about Fedex, but some about UPS too.  Your problem is Fedex.

I thought eBay makes a profit, why would they have no responsibility. They absolutely have a responsibility to protect seller members interests. If there are issues, they should pin them (FedX etc.) against the wall and have the issue fixed. 

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

@collectfest wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

I thought eBay makes a profit, why would they have no responsibility. They absolutely have a responsibility to protect seller members interests. If there are issues, they should pin them (FedX etc.) against the wall and have the issue fixed. 

I agree that this practice by Fedex and UPS just shouldn't happen at the level it currently does.  USPS does it too, but on a much smaller scale.  

IMHO Ebay is not at fault nor play a part in these additional fees that Fedex and UPS have inflicted on some sellers.  I have no issue that we don't agree.

Ebay has and should make a profit on the shipping process when Ebay is used as the place to purchase the services of a Carrier.  Just as any other provider also profits off of offering their services.  Which is every site in which these services are offered.

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

Hi everyone,

This discussion has gotten a bit heated. Please remember that, while it is fine to disagree with others, discussion should always remain friendly and respectful as required by the Community Guidelines.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

If it was a 2 pound package when I plug the numbers into Pirate Ship you could have shipped the 32" x 3" x 3" tube UPS ground for $8.31 and Pirate Ship protects shippers from surcharges. I never use eBay to purchase labels. I pay for my label purchase on Pirate Ship using a cash back credit card so I am earning a small amount back from the shipping. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1694568776084.png

dbfolks166mt_1-1694568789279.png

Message 15 of 39
latest reply