cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer threatening to open a resolution center case

I sold 2 Galaxy S8's to a buyer and messaged him right after he made the payment that the phones were financed and I will only ship if he is ok with them being financed for first few weeks after which I will pay them off fully. He aggreed and I shipped the phones next day because I was offering same day handling. 

A week has passed and he messages me that he does not like the edge screen and hes not comfortable with the phone's typing and location of finger print sensor, I replied by saying that's the phone, all the galaxy s8's are desined similarly and that he should have known about it. He also told me he was having problems with his T-Mobile Jump account (which I have nothing to do with) and that he would not be able to keep the phones since he cant get out of his TMO jump commitment. Now he's threatening to go to resolution center for a refund by saying that I did not specify that phones were financed in the listing (I told him before I shipped the phones and asked him if hes ok with it, if hes not I can cancel the transaction). He said if you pay it off by July 12 he will be ok with it, its June 25 today and now he gave me 48 hrs to pay it off or he goes to ebay.

Now I have never dealt with returns before so I have no idea what to expect and mind you this was a NO RETURNS listing and I asked him if he was ok with that at the time of the sale, to which he responded he's ok with it as long as they are paid off by 12th of July. So my question is what should I do?

Should I accept his return? He says he barely touched the phone but what if he sctrached it or something? I do not think I can charge him a restocking fee since my item was NO RETURNS... Please help me out here, I stand to lose a lot of money if he has damaged the phones and ship them back to me and I cant  do anything about it.

IF I decide to accept his return and he sends back the items and they are damaged then what can I do? Can I withhold the refund or charge him some kind of fee or something?

HELP!!!

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Buyer threatening to open a resolution center case

He hasnt opened a case yet.
Message 16 of 31
latest reply

Well if he is adamant about returning the phone, I would just tell him to open a return if he wants to return and leave it at that. 

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

Yep thats what I did. I am scared out of my mind though... I told him I am waiving my 5% restocking fee and just send the items back but incase there are scratches the refund issued will be 5% less. I hope it works out.... Thanks to all of you who came to my rescue, you are like the friends I never had back in high school gym class when punks would beat me up lol.

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

I would not mention any of the sort to your buyer..at this point, you just want your phones back..a little scratch here and there..I wouldn't say a thing..you can't do any 5 percent fee..it won't work..

and I did chuckle at your gym class comment..

And in the future..don't sell anything you're still not the legal owner of..on the other hand, if this transaction goes south, would you be able to block his phone?..

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

Not sure. They were brand new, no security apps installed, maybe T-Mobile can help with the block but I'd have to check. Thanks for the reminder, I had almost forgotten about that in all of this caos and self pity lol. 

And thank you, self deprecating humor is how I get by. 🙂

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

Thanks for the reminder, I had almost forgotten about that in all of this caos and self pity lol. 

Maybe that's why the buyer is pushing for a July 12 date? Tomorrow check and see with the carrier/finance company if you'll be able to place a block on the phones..just in case..

and you got to have humour on this planet to survive..and colourful language while driving on the roads..

Keep us posted how this turns out..I think it'll be fine..

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

When you get the tracking number, and please ask the buyer to send the item back with a tracking number. You call your P.O. and tell them to hold that package for you to pick up, not let them deliver it directly to you. You ask the postal clerk to witness the package with you. The postal clerk can sign off on the package arriving empty, and can attest to what was returned. You can submit evidence of this to Ebay's trust and safety dept. I am not sure how they handle these , but it would be worth doing. If you cannot get help from Ebay you can on your own file mail fruad charges if you receive an empty package or wrong item. You can also start small claims court proceedings. This is tricky and you might need a lawyer. Read up on filing charges for internet fraud.There is a site called IC3.9 the federal internet fraud division of the FBI. I hope you do not have to do this. Hope you just have an unhappy buyer who just wants to return the item.

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

If the buyer does not send back the item with a tracking number. Hold all your mail for a few weeks and pick it all up at the p.o.

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

Good idea with the block on the phone. Then they have a useless piece of plastic.

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

When you get the tracking number, and please ask the buyer to send the item back with a tracking number. You call your P.O. and tell them to hold that package for you to pick up, not let them deliver it directly to you. You ask the postal clerk to witness the package with you. The postal clerk can sign off on the package arriving empty, and can attest to what was returned. You can submit evidence of this to Ebay's trust and safety dept. I am not sure how they handle these , but it would be worth doing. If you cannot get help from Ebay you can on your own file mail fruad charges if you receive an empty package or wrong item. You can also start small claims court proceedings. This is tricky and you might need a lawyer. Read up on filing charges for internet fraud.There is a site called IC3.9 the federal internet fraud division of the FBI. I hope you do not have to do this. Hope you just have an unhappy buyer who just wants to return the item.

You cannot submit video evidence to trust and safety. This have never worked and some POs would not allow their employees to act as your witness and allow you to film inside their premises like this. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 25 of 31
latest reply

If they open a SNAD case they will get all their money back plus you will be paying for them to ship it back to you.

By the way the 2 listings you have up now are in violation of eBay policy.

You have to physically send them the code or whatever, you cannot just email it to them.

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

OK--if you cant submit it to trust and safety, then you submit it to whoever you are going to submit it to. Never heard that a postal worker could not sign off for you that your package is EMPTY. EMPTY IS WELL empty. Our P.O. has no problem with that at all.

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

Not talking at all about a videO camera or photo being taken here. Just an affidavit of sorts saying E-M-P-T-Y.

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

You made a very big mistake not putting that they were not paid off in the original listing. It does not matter that you mentioned it after the sale. According to eBay that is considered a "deceptive" SNAD listing. That right there is enough for him to force a return. That was a big part of the description and you failed to include it. However, he keeps changing his reasons for wanting to return showing clear buyer's remorse. What you need to do now is call eBay on the phone. Did not escalate through the automatic system, you need to call eBay and explain to them what's going on. Then have them look at all of the messages. I would not bring up that you didn't describe the item accurately in the first place. It will really be 50/50 at this point if they side with you or not. He is wrong for lying about the return reason, but so are you bc you failed to accurately describe it

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

@thebrandcache wrote:

Not sure. They were brand new, no security apps installed, maybe T-Mobile can help with the block but I'd have to check. 

Google: "EIP block"

If you never pay off the phones, they will be blocked. And only you can pay; your buyer can't offer instead.

Message 30 of 31
latest reply