cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combined shipping

I bought four items from a seller and asked for combined shipping.  They said they would not combine or lower shipping costs and argued I should have read the description more closely.  Ok, I'm fine with that but when the items arrived they were all shipped in one box.  I paid over 25.00 for shipping and seller paid under 10.00 to ship.  I think if a seller won't combine or refund excess shipping then I think the items should be shipped separately since I paid for each item to be shipped separately.  Am I wrong?  This seller pocketed over 17.00 of my money.  I want to leave negative feedback because I believe this is wrong and a shipping scam.  Any feedback is appreciated. 

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Combined shipping

It seems you only asked if they would combine after committing to buy, I would have thought that after almost 1.800 transactions, almost half of which as a seller, you would have learned combined shipping should never be taken for granted.

Even after 17 years and close to 7.000 purchases I still ask, the only exception being if I've bought from the same seller before

Had you asked in advance there would have been a back button right there for you

Message 2 of 50
latest reply

Combined shipping

I understand all that. I don't have a problem with them not combing shipping. The problem is them shipping all the items together and keeping the excess shipping. If I paid shipping for each item separately then I think they should be shipped separately in their own box.
Message 3 of 50
latest reply

Combined shipping

Some sellers are "cleaner" than others?

Message 4 of 50
latest reply

Combined shipping

Feedback is your only option. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 5 of 50
latest reply

Combined shipping

The problem is - you have made up a sequence of events which, I'm sorry to say, exist only in your mind.
Really, I'm not trying to give you a hard time.
The seller would not combine shipping COSTS, but did combine shipping PACKAGE.

I understand you want to get your dollar's worth.
From one point of view you do not know how much lee-way seller built into shipping to cover supplies. You also don't know if seller tweaked the price down and added it to shipping to try and move a stale item(s).

Would your situation and the items actually have been better in some significant way if shipped in all separate packages? I can see that it was a rather big chunk of difference in cost and I'd be annoyed if it was me - but I would remind myself I'd agreed to the shipping (not assumed) as I purchased items.  Please don't leave your seller neg or neu as you were a party... well, to the party.

@climbing-ivy wrote:

I bought four items from a seller and asked for combined shipping.  They said they would not combine or lower shipping costs and argued I should have read the description more closely.  Ok, I'm fine with that but when the items arrived they were all shipped in one box.  I paid over 25.00 for shipping and seller paid under 10.00 to ship.  I think if a seller won't combine or refund excess shipping then I think the items should be shipped separately since I paid for each item to be shipped separately.  Am I wrong?  This seller pocketed over 17.00 of my money.  I want to leave negative feedback because I believe this is wrong and a shipping scam.  Any feedback is appreciated. 

Message 6 of 50
latest reply

Combined shipping

silky_silken
you stated in your reply "you have made up a sequence of events which, I'm sorry to say, exist only in your mind" and also that the seller my have tweaked the price". Excuse me!! But I have not made up anything in my mind and everything I wrote was the truth. Some ebay sellers have got rediculous when it comes to shipping. They will sell a buy it now item for 5.00 and charge 35.00 for shipping just because they are trying to escape paying ebay fees. They only get charged Ebay fees on the 5.00 and really get the price of the item by jacking up the shipping costs. Too bad Ebay doesn't do something about that as in my opinion is being deceitful and a round about way of stealing. Also, seller did not tweak the price as it was an auction. I understand she did not want to combine shipping but she had no right to combine packaging and keep the money difference. I suppose I'm just old school and believe in doing things honest and right. I do not steal. I do sell myself and would never charge separate shipping and then ship in one package just to keep the difference and rip off my buyer. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night and look at myself in the mirror. It's just a dirty business I suppose and as the other replier stated "some
sellers are cleaner than others." I say some sellers are dirtier than others.
Message 7 of 50
latest reply

Combined shipping

I am not totally positive but sellers do pay a fee for shipping. Never ever assume anything when buying on the internet. Always, always ask before hitting the buy it key.  Negative feedback could be a little harsh if this is your first encounter of this type of business procedure(which I do not believe is proper) but if you use this experience in a positive way you will have learned to look toward the bottom of the listing where it says" Ask Seller a Question" . Once again never never assume. There are a lot of listings that are not proper for the promoting of great sales for ebay. Hopefullu someday ebay will punish this type of behavior to the sellers. 

Just my thought and I would also be angry but after thinking about it I would mostly be angry with me. 

Dennis

As Grandpa always said. If you want to open a small business, just open a large one and wait awhile!!!!
Message 8 of 50
latest reply

Combined shipping

@climbing-ivy

Sorry, but you're incorrect. Sellers pay fees on the TOTAL amount. That includes any shipping. In your example, the seller would pay fees on $40 and not just the $5 for the item. The change was made quite a while ago. As a seller, I'm surprised you never noticed this.

Message 9 of 50
latest reply

Combined shipping

As the last person stated.  The seller paid the fees on the full cost you paid including the shipping 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 10 of 50
latest reply

Combined shipping

"They said they would not combine or lower shipping costs

I paid shipping for each item separately then I think they should be shipped separately in their own box"

As soon as your seller says they will not lower shipping costs for combined shipping, you need to make four separate payments to be shipped to four separate addresses.

Otherwise, if there's a problem with even just one of the items, you may have to return all four of the items.

Message 11 of 50
latest reply

Combined shipping

CLIMBING...I agree with you.  What this   seller did was  dishonest.  HOWEVER,  he has not    not officially   broken any  Ebay  rules----so  he  is  going to   get  away  with this.  Smiley Surprised

Too bad.    If you  can  leave a  a  Negative----I for one,  would do  so. Smiley Mad

Message 12 of 50
latest reply

Combined shipping

While I agree that it is wise to ask about combined shipping costs before committing to purchase, I think combining shipments without combining shipping costs and giving buyer some kind of discount (when there is one to be had) is extremely unwise for a seller to do.  Even more so when a buyer asks before shipping! 

If I pulled this stunt with one of my buyers, I would be surprised if I didn't get negged.  I'd be expecting it as a matter of fact. 

Message 13 of 50
latest reply

Combined shipping

No seller on eBay Has to combine shipping, I don't and never have. Should seller place all your Items in just one box to ship, I see no broken eBay policy, and seller has every right to do this, Buyers need to ask Questions before they buy, not after.  To ding this seller with a red donut on this matter only proves my belief that there are bad buyers. Good Luck to you.

Message 14 of 50
latest reply

Combined shipping

OP I wouldn't think of you as a bad buyer if you negged your seller.  As a matter of fact, if I saw that you left a seller a neg for that reason, my first thought would be "well, that was a stupid seller".  

Message 15 of 50
latest reply