cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After 19 Years of Selling on eBay I Can No Longer Accept Returns

Thanks to eBay's new streamlined return policy making fraud as easy as clicking a button, I'm done with returns because buyers changed their mind or decided they didn't need the item they purchased.  

I've been selling used auto parts for Land Rovers for years on eBay, starting way back in the spring of 1999.  I've been a top rated seller since the program was started.  My feedback hasn't ever been below 99.6 (typically it's between 99.8 and 100%) with almost 20,000 transactions under my belt.  But, sadly, I have been plagued lately with buyers who have fraudulently returned items.   To put it bluntly, they've taken the parts I shipped them, installed those working parts, opened up a return request (ranging from "changed my mind" to "defective") and sent back their broken parts.  Sometimes, they don't even bother to safely package the parts!

One example that is particularly egregious was an item that had been painted with an identifying mark before it was shipped in an effort to insure that, should there be a return, I would be able to confirm that the part was, in fact mine.  The buyer claimed the part was defective and sent it back.  The part did not have the paint marking that had been put on it before I shipped it.  Essentially, the buyer installed my part and returned their broken part for a full refund included shipping both ways.

Another was where the buyer purchased a part, the kind of part that, if it's broken, your vehicle is not running.  They got the part and within a few days opened a request for a return because they had "changed their mind."  I find it curious, if your truck isn't running and you order a part to fix it, why, after receiving the part would you suddenly "change your mind."  Well, I test all the electrical parts I ship out right before I put them in the box.  This particular part was a solenoid so it was really easy to test with 12 volts.  

On Monday I got back a box that had a part banging around in it like a child's rattle.  It was the part the buyer had changed their mind over.  No packing, no protection, even the box was closed using silver duct tape!  Are you at all surprised that the part didn't have my usual enamel marking on it.  Would you be surprised to learn the part failed the simple 12 volt test.  Would it be reasonable to suspect that the buyer took my working part, installed it on his vehicle, got it running and used it to bring his broken part in the box with no packing to the post office to return for a full refund?

The third return involved another electrical part that is essential for a vehicle to run.  The buyer bought it and before he even received it requested a return claiming they "no longer needed it."  The part was a genuine Bosch part with Bosch markings all over it.  What did I get back in the return?  It was a cheap knock off from China with no markings on it at all.  I'd never even seen one so poorly made before.  Do you think the buyer might have thought he was saving a ton of money by purchasing a cheap Chinese part (probably for less than the cost of shipping my genuine Bosch part) only to find that those parts have a high failure rate.  So, to solve his problem he bought the genuine part from me, installed it, got his vehicle running and drove it to the post office where he mailed off the Chinese knock off for a full refund.

In just three transactions I've lost my Top Rated Seller Discount for two months.  Does eBay care? Of course they don't.  They would rather believe a buyer who's been on the site for six months with a dozen feedbacks (all positive because a seller can't even hint at malfeasace when leaving feedback) than a seller for 19 years with almost 20,000 positive feedback ratings.

The treatment sellers receive on this site gets more and more insulting every day.  So from here on out, no more easy returns for this seller.  I'm done being the welcome mat for every perpetrator of fraud eBay seems to court on their "platform."

Message 1 of 131
latest reply
130 REPLIES 130

Re: After 19 Years of Selling on eBay I Can No Longer Accept Returns

I agree there needs to be a class action lawsuit. Meanwhile, those of us in the Bay Area can fight back by filing a case with the Small Claims Court in San Jose. They will have to send someone to show up and defend the case. 

Message 76 of 131
latest reply

I find it astounding Ebay is changing their policy from 14 day to mandatory 30 day or 60 day returns - or No Returns at all. I guess their system will automatically kick in come August 1 to update all sellers' return policies. Gee, how nice of them! LOL Then to add insult to injury, we "should" offer FREE RETURNS as well!!?? And they give us some foolish nonsense about how this change will increase our sales and profits! Ha ha! Give me a break! Nope, not doing it. One thing I learned years ago is business is business. Plain and simple. Whatever a business thinks they need to do to keep the competitive edge, they will, no matter what harm it brings to others.
Message 77 of 131
latest reply

You are absolutely correct. Ebay's policy trumps ours. Ebay cares less about thieves or the almighty honest person for that matter, as long as the money keeps rolling in for them.
Message 78 of 131
latest reply

Here is my recent story of a scammer buyer and eBay allowing it, I'll try to keep it short. I sold a $230 item to a buyer ( 20 feedback, my feedback is over 1300 at 100% ) within my country of Canada. They bought it wedbWedne and expected it by Friday because of their "sons" bday. Item was going from West to far east and I told them that's not possible. They said okay so long as it gets here.. ok.. So I shipped it out and it arrived Tuesday. Shipped full insurance plus signature confirmation. They then open a return case without contacting me first. I messaged why what is wrong and they said "are you kidding me right now? The box is empty"..

So I said that I have proof that it was .797kg / 1.75 pounds when shipped and Canadapost would label it as empty or tampered if the weight dropped like that. 

They said no label or tampering on package. So I opened a claim with Canadapost and gave them their information. They said they don't want to deal with all that and just want their item or their money back.. well Canadapost tried to contact this buyer 2 times and left messages both times. So that claim got put on hold.

eBay told the buyer to get a police report and they did.. that found them in favor right away when they got the false police report.

So I called eBay and said **bleep**.. ( eBay also lied to me and said that a police report wouldn't find them in favor right away and they would investigate it first ) lies.. and eBay said they have proof, and I said a false police report is proof?? I told them I have proof with the weight on my shipping receipt and that no such labels were on the package when the buyer got it saying weight dropped. 

I told them why didn't they let the Canadapost insurance claim play out first.. I was so mad. They then said ya that's true and offered to compensate me out of their pocket. I said fine but now your the one getting scammed.. 

They told me I had to print out these forms and sign them then take a picture and send that back to them first before I would get my compensation back. I looked at this form and where my signature was supposed to go it said "I declare that the parcel was empty" .. yaaaaa so I called them back and said **bleep** is this beep* , trying to get me to acknowledge that the package was empty?? I do not acknowledge that as it was not empty. They said oh sorry sorry that was the wrong forum.. yaaaaa so they tried to get me to sign something that would totally ruin my case. 

They then just sent me my compensation after of the full amount. And that was it. The scammer got their money and free item in the end, and eBay paid me back.

What a joke. This buyer didn't cooperate at all with the insurance, was very demanding and had no proof at all. Also looking at the buyers feedback a seller with over 18000 feedback left the buyer "bad positive" feedback calling the buyer a lier and abusing the buyer protection program. I messaged that seller and they told me all about their horror story with this buyer ( and that was a year ago and they still remembered the buyer very well ). 

eBay didn't care about the proof I had or my feedback or that the buyer was low feedback or that the buyer had a bad experience with a top seller or anything. eBay lied to me twice during the claim and the buyer lied many times and I cought the buyer a few times in lies as well. 

The buyer used the same sop story about their son with me as they did with this other seller a year ago.. like **bleep**.

In the end I got my money but it took 2 weeks and hours and hours on the phone. Terrible experience and it's a shame their policy is like this towards their sellers..

Message 79 of 131
latest reply

To add to my comment, most times yes the transaction goes smoothly but it would only take some small tweaks to make eBay go just that more smoothly on the sellers end. 

These changes would be better for not only sellers but also eBay as well,

#1 for items not as described or damaged items, make the buyer send proof pictures of such issues.

#2 if insurance was purchased/used make the buyer go through that first cooperating with the seller.

#3 for returns, if nothing was wrong with the item and the seller has no returns selected then that should be honored. 

#4 user feedback should be taken into account. If a seller has 5000 feedback at 99.9-100% and a buyer has 0-5-10 feedback and is claiming things without proof then side with your seller. Don't let new buyers buy expensive items and don't let new sellers sell expensive items. 

I'm sure there is lots more things eBay could do to make things more fair for all but those came to mind first. 

Message 80 of 131
latest reply

I stopped offering returns a year or so ago when someone wanted to return a CD box set because "found a better price elsewhere." I emailed him and pointed out that this is not Amazon. I am a single individual selling items from his collection and not a business, and it has always been my understanding that a purchase via eBay constitutes a binding contract. The buyer replied that he understood and would keep my CDs. My listings now specify that I do not accept returns, though obviously if an item were not as described, damaged, etc. I would be happy to issue a refund. eBay needs to stop taking sellers for granted when it imposes these policies.

Message 81 of 131
latest reply

Unfortunately...

On the other side of the fence you have sellers who CALL buyers BEFORE shipping out the part (and you may feel this as a 'reasonable' precaution) to "make sure it's for the right car" when in reality they're attempting to vet their buyers however this isn't really the issue...

The issue is that when said seller can not reach a buyer *OR* the buyer does not answer any one of their "three questions" to their satisfaction the seller then cancels for reason "buyer asked."

You see, I don't want to get deeper into it but it always goes both ways.

I would suspect what you're experiencing and the way some of these sellers are acting, once we boil it all down to the most basic things it's all just action-reaction.

Message 82 of 131
latest reply

@raven_nightmyst wrote:
I hope you reported him. Call CS and have them read his messages to you. I quit selling on eBay in 2014, as I could see how it was heading, but unless things have REALLY changed, they don't allow blackmail.

FWIW, I thank G-d every day that I'm no longer a seller on here. Seeing the BIG BLUE BUTTON in my Purchased Items changed over a year ago from "Leave Feedback", to "Return This Item", is enough for me to pity eBay sellers. In nearly 20 years on eBay, I've never returned an item or demanded anything from a seller, no matter how bad the experience. Now, eBay is literally encouraging buyers to return items, honestly or fraudulently. It's a racket. eBay always wins, the seller loses.

Don't want to disagree entirely but as things stand ebay is losing big right now, too.

Real big, most seller's sales are way down and I mean 50 to 80% and such...

Also ebay's stock just plunged to a 22-month low as a result of a dismal quarterly report. 

Message 83 of 131
latest reply

Very sad to read all of this. I sold a handful of things a few years ago, and now I'm back to try and get more serious with it, I've read so many horror stories about how bad it's gotten for sellers, I'm wary about putting too much time into it and trying to depend on it for regular income, which is what I really need.

I'll just have to be extra cautious, and probably explore some of the other sites out there with better policies.
Message 84 of 131
latest reply

I agree!! I have been having this happen several times this year. This is a really bad business practice for ebay. There are so many fraudulent buyers out there because of ebay's return policy.
Message 85 of 131
latest reply

You are right-on my friend!  Except for one thing whichw was commented on by another seller:  NO RETURNS simply  mea n s  you get NOTHING back but you still loose you item and loose your $$$$$$$.  It has happened to me more than once.  I have been  selling on ebay for 19 (1999)  years also and I am 84 years old.  It looks like it is about  time to retire!

Message 86 of 131
latest reply

I too have considered selling items on eBay for a few years now but, having read eBay's rules and the experiences of other sellers, I continue to decline to sell anything on eBay.  I've been an eBay buyer for over 10 years now and I have always tried to deal with online sellers honestly and, when the situation merits, to offer suggestions as to how they might improve their operations.  I have always loved to restore automobiles and eBay can be a good source for new and used parts for older vehicles.  Some months ago, I purchased a new 3rd party replacement tailgate for a 98 Chevy C-1500 pickup that never had a tailgate (I bought it used).  The tailgate was made in Taiwan and shipped by a seller in Illinois via FedEx.  It was black and of course I planned to paint it with the same color white paint as the rest of the pickup.  After unpacking the tailgate, I noticed two very small dents and a 1 inch surface scratch on the top of the tailgate; no doubt created by the end of one of the large staples used to seal the shipping container.  I took pictures of the dents and the scratch and sent them to the seller, along with a note in which I stated, multiple times, that I was really not unhappy with the less-than-perfect condition of the tailgate, as the dents would be no problem to remove prior to painting, finishing and installation.  I only suggested that the seller might want to raise the issue with FedEx since I assumed that the two small dents had most probably been caused by shipper mishandling.  Removing  such small dents, along with a small surface scratch, was of no concern to me (I had already left 5 star feedback for the seller) since I had already planned to refinish/repaint the tailgate anyway in order to match the pickup.  To my surprise, the seller sent me a very nice note and even refunded $25.00 to my Paypal account for my trouble (the original price, with shipping, was about $100.00); something that I hadn't even hinted was necessary or expected on my part.  I've always believed that good customers get good treatment and this is a case where that turned out to be true.  Unfortunately, there are far too many people who believe that they should get "something for nothing".  eBay's policies regarding sellers has, over the years, tended to hurt honest buyers in the long term as well as eBay itself. 

Message 87 of 131
latest reply

I just took photos of item packing for an unregistered user..serms like they are more problematic. But in reality, taking the photos means nothing. Ebay encourages fraud and extortion of sellers. It is a disgrace.
Message 88 of 131
latest reply

I think the divine intervention / solution is if ebay wants to be Amazon, they need to own the oroducts sold, feel the pain, become a single seller. By not doing as they wish, my sales are a joke, then I work on dumping inventory elsewhere where there is less risk of fraudulant returns and high costs associated with them. By default, those who do not play by the ever changing in desperation of extorting sellers because of inability to gain market share, that sellers that are not eqipped to handle the risk and cost of doing business leave and go elsewhere and then there are higher orices to pay for promoted listings and to cover ebay enabled buyer fraud..downgrading of subscriptions, less listings at prices that are not competitive, and some categories sellers will be okay..others, like mine, will be on other sites. I sell less than 2k vs 12-18k 1 year ago..wonder who is replacing the income I provided to ebay? I did give up, unfortunately needed 2 surgeries so now stuck selling on multiple sites for a few more months to make up for lost time. Oh well, I will be relieved when I no longer selling here and I warn Nyine thinking of selling to go on other sites, who woukd willingly subject themselves to this for so few sales except to dump inventory and leave?
Message 89 of 131
latest reply

Need another playform..prayers and patience does not work.
Message 90 of 131
latest reply