cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I distinguish which threads I've already read?

The titles used to be darker/thicker on threads I had not yet read.  Now I see no difference.  

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: How can I distinguish which threads I've already read?

Often, if I notice that none of the threads on a page have bold titles, that is an indication that my credentials are stale and I need to sign in again. That seems to happen more often for me on non-US discussion boards.

There may also be an issue with multi-page threads; in order for a thread to be marked as read, you may need to touch all the pages, not just the latest one.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

sheila@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi all!

Is this is still an issue? 

We had some wonkiness in the Community (multiple headers, slowness, ect) and pushed out an update a couple of weeks ago and I think it might've solved this problem, indirectly. Khoros and I tested several posts and it didn't show any that were unread.

The Developer was speculating that some of the posts, before the update, that are unread are on the 2nd page or higher and that's why the post shows unread at the forum level. She asked me what does the Community prefer? 

Sheila
Community Manager
eBay
Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Yes, this is still an issue. We would prefer that it operates as expected: If we have opened a thread, is shows as "read" until a new post is added.

On the Selling board, I can't even get posts to show as read if I have read them or if I choose to mark them all as read. Also, posts show bold (unread) even when I am the most recent poster. The bold/unbold is completely dysfunctional. It has nothing to do with any unread posts on a second page of posts.

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 5.18.30 PM.png

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

sheila@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

This is what I plan on implementing. 

• If the user clicks on a thread, it should be marked as read – whether or not they read all the replies and went through all the pages;

• If there’s a new reply / new replies on that thread, it should be again marked as unread;

• If the user again clicks on the thread, it should be again marked as read – whether or not they read all the new replies.

This is pending an evaluation on performance.

If a user posts in a thread and then goes back to the forum level, then the thread shouldn't be bold. I'm waiting to hear back on whether we can do this or not.

Sheila
Community Manager
eBay
Message 19 of 25
latest reply

sheila@ebay 

The unbolding of read thread titles seems to work but sometimes there's a delay in the function.

Currently; when we have read a thread and a new post is made, it does bold the title again and when we click on it, we jump to the new post automatically. I like this feature a lot and I hope it doesn't get lost in the upgrading. It's a time saver and helps us not get lost when we are looking to read the new posts. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

@pikabo-icu wrote:

sheila@ebay 

The unbolding of read thread titles seems to work but sometimes there's a delay in the function.

Currently; when we have read a thread and a new post is made, it does bold the title again and when we click on it, we jump to the new post automatically. I like this feature a lot and I hope it doesn't get lost in the upgrading. It's a time saver and helps us not get lost when we are looking to read the new posts. 

Gosh, no, I'll make sure it won't get lost!

Right now I'm just working on fixing bugs and not implementing upgrades other than dark mode. 

Sheila
Community Manager
eBay
Message 21 of 25
latest reply

sheila@ebay wrote:

• If the user clicks on a thread, it should be marked as read – whether or not they read all the replies and went through all the pages;

sheila@ebay- I strongly disagree with this course of action. Discussion threads frequently become pretty long and I can't read them all in one sitting. I'll read a page, maybe two, then go about my business. I'll come back later or the next day to read more. I expect the system to jump to my first unread post when I do that. If the entire thread is marked as read just because I clicked on it, that would be very disruptive to forum function and following discussions.

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

sheila@ebay wrote:

sheila@ebay- I strongly disagree with this course of action. Discussion threads frequently become pretty long and I can't read them all in one sitting. I'll read a page, maybe two, then go about my business. I'll come back later or the next day to read more. I expect the system to jump to my first unread post when I do that. If the entire thread is marked as read just because I clicked on it, that would be very disruptive to forum function and following discussions.

@coffeebean832 when you do come back to a post, that you've already opened, it takes you to where you left off last. Does this not work for you?

Sheila
Community Manager
eBay
Message 23 of 25
latest reply

sheila@ebay- That's how it currently works and that's the way it I think should be. Please re-read my above post.

The part I was objecting to you is that you said you wanted to change it to marking a discussion as read "whether or not they read all the replies and went through all the pages"- that is different from how it currently works.

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

sheila@ebay- That's how it currently works and that's the way it I think should be. Please re-read my above post.

The part I was objecting to you is that you said you wanted to change it to marking a discussion as read "whether or not they read all the replies and went through all the pages"- that is different from how it currently works.

To the best of my recollection, that is how it has always worked: clicking on the thread will mark it as read by you (i.e. its title will change from Bold to Roman in future viewings of the main page), regardless of whether you made it all the way to the end. However, it will go back to Bold again if there are any new posts made to it in the meantime.

Message 25 of 25
latest reply