cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why the buyers have 30 days to return an item?

Hi,

i sell only used items.most of the time, when i have a return request, the buyer has 0 feedback or maximum 5.

They start the return after 2-3 weeks sometimes even a month.So they need weeks to realize that an item is defective..once i received the item, ofcourse is working just fine.Meantime resell the item to another buyer and everything is ok.

Conclusion, i pay the label two times, they keep the item for 3-4 weeks then another month for return.In 2 months i can sell that item 2-3 times to serious customers.

I have two return request right now.

One is claims that he did not receive the product, even the tracking number said delivered.After few messages, he apologized and said he received the product but got confused 🙂 I asked him 2 times to close the request, nothing.Of course the buyer has 0 feeedback, EBAY  ?

Second one is a buyer who claims that the product does not work.I told him many times to charge the watch.Today i received the feedback "After I made certain the watch was 100 percent charged it worked exactly as it should. I was wishing Garmin still produced the Forerunner 405."

🙂

the return request is still open, i paid for the label too, ask him twice to close the case.Buyer has 3 feedbacks, one is from ME, so 2 feedbacks.

AGAIN, why does ebay accept this crap? do you need weeks to realize that a product doesn't work? or did you play with it, got bored and now you return it? Not to mention that many times they return me something else, or with a defective battery even though I gave a good battery, etc. Again, on ebay they don't care, you pay for the return labels, give the money to the buyer and stay with the damage.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: why the buyers have 30 days to return an item?

@cellphonesmuseum  wrote:

"do you need weeks to realize that a product doesn't work?"

30 day returns is an industry standard.  Buyers can and will take up to 30 days to open a return. 

Buyers don't check eBay and all messages through eBay.

The open return request will time out after 3 weeks or so and close automatically unless the buyer decides to use the return label and return the product.

If you have an Item Not Received case that is open, make sure to check that the carrier tracking number is in the INR case.

Most ALL of us deal with the same type of issues. Hang in there. You have sold 477 items in the last 90 days and should expect a certain percentage of return requests, etc.

Posting ID
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

It's Ebays Rule. Not sure where you are getting its an Industry Standard. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@slyders_finds 

I sell on AMZ as well and it is 30 days. Etsy is 30 days. Temu is 90 days. 

You must like Mecari. Too bad they don't have many buyers.

What is your industry standard for a venue that uses a payment processor?

Posting ID
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Never sold on Mercari. So you mentioned two websites. Two websites does not a standard make. Lol. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@slyders_finds wrote:

Never sold on Mercari. So you mentioned two websites. Two websites does not a standard make. Lol. 

Lol, louder....

"What is your industry standard for a venue that uses a payment processor?"   

Ball is in your court, @slyders_finds. Which venues set your standards if returns are not 30 days?

Temu, AMZ, eBay, Etsy, Walmart are all at least 30 days.

You have anything or just trolling?

Posting ID
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Industry standard you mention... all that applies is what the marketplace you accepted all the rules for has in place when you registered. Don't like it? Don't use it. You are quite free to sell anyplace. Businesses are seller centric & are generous for a reason. They want money.

What you describe is not unreasonable behavior that normal businesses all have & do encounter. It's called cost of doing business. Just get over it & move on.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Why attack someone who tried to help?

If you know of other options that don’t have a 30 day policy, well… you know what you’ve got to do. Stop posting here and start moving your stuff to the other option(s).

Even with eBay’s short 30 day window, those that pay with credit card, and in some instances, PayPal, have 180 days to file a dispute. At this time, PP and CCCompanies don’t even suggest the item be returned to the seller. 

Clearing those 30 days with eBay is just the first hurdle. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply