cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sigh... another buyer claims 900$ package is empty...

there's so much fraud on ebay its crazy..

global shipping buyer (from mexico) claims the box he received (shipped through DHL) was filled with "garbage" - he posts pictures of cheap phone cases and say that's all he received and not the 940$ phone I sent.  

1 more fraudulent defect rating for me, yay,  ebay will collect extra fees from me because of my high defect rate from fraudulent buyers.

2 months ago when a similar situation happened, (buyer claimed box was empty) they just made me refund the buyer even though global shipping program employees packed and shipped the item.  I called to appeal and said that GSP employees wouldn't ship a package if it was empty and they denied the claim.

I really don't know what to do, they're likely going to accept the buyers claim again.

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: sigh... another buyer claims 900$ package is empty...

so sorry to hear that, but to make sure the buyer not fraudulent I'm always take a pic on my scale so I I know the weigh is and send with USPS better than others I think. I hope this help.
Message 31 of 42
latest reply

This is way more simple than made out to be. Ebay says we want you to sell globally. So much so we are going to open up a U.S based shipping center to handle all the packaging prior to leaving the states. This affords more protections than normal since we recieve the packages and check them before sending them on. If contents are checked in this case a simple digital record by the checker like "1 black iphone" should be noted after label scanning. Then sent on. Once buyer says something else showed up other than 1 black iphone then it should be between buyer and ebay and no one else. Seller should be covered. If gsp handler says phone cases showed up the package should be sent back to seller and buyer covered. Otherwise what was the point in in ebay opening this place to handle?

Message 32 of 42
latest reply

i definitely understand about listing anything on ebay over a certain value.  i have learned to not list anything i can't afford to lose.  i do not think i have anything over about a $150 value listed, and few of those.  returns are just a game i do not want to play and get very few in my niche.  i may not make as much profit, but the reduction of headaches is worth the trade-off.  

as i've seen some others say, go into your ebay account settings for returns and at the very bottom of the section there is a check-box for RMA.  check it.  if someone starts a return this will keep ebay from auto-accepting it and issuing a return label.  giving you time to contact the buyer via ebay msg and maybe catch him in lies, before issuing the RMA.

also go into shipping section of settings and set the areas you do not ship to (this will help by reducing sales to high-return areas.

Message 33 of 42
latest reply

Maybe Global Shipping and the Using the So Called Shippers is Your Problem 😎 If it was Me 😎 Its Called a Road Trip 😎 

Message 34 of 42
latest reply

This is why I try to sell most of my higher dollar items locally on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist.  Of course if your business model is all high dollar items, that is hard to do.  I just hope your overall profit margin covers these crooks scamming you.

Message 35 of 42
latest reply

Otherwise what was the point in in ebay opening this place to handle?

Historically speaking, many sellers simply refused to ship internationally due to the lack of "online visible to anyone" delivery confirmation to many destinations needed to protect oneself from "item not received claims".  That was just one reason, but you get the idea. 

Many international buyers wanted the "goods" offered yet were shut out, thus the popularity of the 'reshipper'.  These reshipper business, after initial problems were resolved, likely were doing a great business.  eBay wanted part of that, so started their own...the Global Shipping Program.  

Buyers often are not very fond of the GSP.  For small lightweight items it is too  expensive, they do not get to know what part is 'shipping' and what part is "duties or Vat".

Fast forward to today....the saga continues.

Message 36 of 42
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

@cellit wrote:

there's so much fraud on ebay its crazy..

global shipping buyer (from mexico) claims the box he received (shipped through DHL) was filled with "garbage" - he posts pictures of cheap phone cases and say that's all he received and not the 940$ phone I sent.  

1 more fraudulent defect rating for me, yay,  ebay will collect extra fees from me because of my high defect rate from fraudulent buyers.

2 months ago when a similar situation happened, (buyer claimed box was empty) they just made me refund the buyer even though global shipping program employees packed and shipped the item.  I called to appeal and said that GSP employees wouldn't ship a package if it was empty and they denied the claim.

I really don't know what to do, they're likely going to accept the buyers claim again.

brian@ebay Since these items are shipped via GSP why is the seller having to process a refund and/or not being made whole?  My understanding is that by using your GSP program the seller should be PROTECTED when this type of claim is made. Please give the OP clear concise instructions on how to correctly navigate and receive the protection that eBay and PB claim is in place.

Hi @dtexley3 , when a buyer receives a completely different item then we would not hold the seller at fault and instead would be able to ensure that the third party shipper is responsible for a refund. Sellers can contact customer support to have the case reviewed, or they can ask us to step in within the return.

@cellit , I've gone ahead and sent this return over for review. You should receive further information today, so keep an eye on your eBay Messages. Thanks!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 37 of 42
latest reply

When you called, did you ask whether they were US based on in Asia?

The US based customer service has more knowledge and possibly discretion in understanding and fixing issues.

If I were you, I'd keep calling back until you get US based customer service.

Message 38 of 42
latest reply

thanks 🙂
i have received a 940$ refund from ebay and the seller got all their money returned and got to keep the garbage inside *cough iphone xs max*

its still a bit concerning thinking i may not have won the dispute if a forum mod didn't help, but I'm glad it all worked out. last time this happened, even after appeals, they refused to return my money when the buyer claimed they received an empty box.

ebay claims this transaction wont affect my seller level however with enough fraud against my account, ebay will ban it if they are losing too much money. they have already refunded thousands of dollars to fraudulent buying from me before.
Message 39 of 42
latest reply

Maybe this is a good reminder for yourself since you've lost thousands to stop selling to places where the odds are very great of a scam. Personally I would never in a million years sell outside the U.S., a cell phone which has the highest scam rate of all items sold over the internet.

Message 40 of 42
latest reply

First thing I would do is NOT SELL HIGH SCAM ITEMS.

Message 41 of 42
latest reply

I once had the GSP department switch my item with someone else's item. It wasn't an expensive item but the buyer did receive a completely different item than the one I sent. I called ebay and a case was opened with GSP. GSP ended up refunding my customer, and according to them, they also refunded the other person who's item was mixed up with mine. It is possible that they could have simply swapped the label with someone else. That can be determined by their investigation.
Message 42 of 42
latest reply