cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sigh... another buyer claims 900$ package is empty...

there's so much fraud on ebay its crazy..

global shipping buyer (from mexico) claims the box he received (shipped through DHL) was filled with "garbage" - he posts pictures of cheap phone cases and say that's all he received and not the 940$ phone I sent.  

1 more fraudulent defect rating for me, yay,  ebay will collect extra fees from me because of my high defect rate from fraudulent buyers.

2 months ago when a similar situation happened, (buyer claimed box was empty) they just made me refund the buyer even though global shipping program employees packed and shipped the item.  I called to appeal and said that GSP employees wouldn't ship a package if it was empty and they denied the claim.

I really don't know what to do, they're likely going to accept the buyers claim again.

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Maybe it's time to stop selling expensive phones on eBay.
Message 2 of 42
latest reply

First of all I would stop using the GSP... bad news for sellers, bad news for buyers.  Unless of course you claim the package was empty.  If buyers from countries you don't ship to want to purchase, they can employ their own freight forwarding service.  This BTW, voids their MBG through eBay.

Message 3 of 42
latest reply

Selling expensive items to third world countries?  You've got tons more courage than I do ...

... because of eBay's theft loopholes, I wouldn't even sell something that expensive to a USA buyer.  My limit is about $300.  I sell more expensive stuff through other channels.

Message 4 of 42
latest reply

@cellit wrote:

global shipping buyer (from mexico) claims the box he received (shipped through DHL) was filled with "garbage" - he posts pictures of cheap phone cases and say that's all he received and not the 940$ phone I sent.  

1 more fraudulent defect rating for me, yay,  ebay will collect extra fees from me because of my high defect rate from fraudulent buyers.

2 months ago when a similar situation happened, (buyer claimed box was empty) they just made me refund the buyer even though global shipping program employees packed and shipped the item.  I called to appeal and said that GSP employees wouldn't ship a package if it was empty and they denied the claim.

I really don't know what to do, they're likely going to accept the buyers claim again.

brian@ebay Since these items are shipped via GSP why is the seller having to process a refund and/or not being made whole?  My understanding is that by using your GSP program the seller should be PROTECTED when this type of claim is made. Please give the OP clear concise instructions on how to correctly navigate and receive the protection that eBay and PB claim is in place.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 5 of 42
latest reply

@cellit   If on your international package labels you have the item listed, which eBay Labeling has, then you are basically saying "here I am, a smart phone, STEAL ME!"

In 2016 there were 33 people arrested in LA, postal workers, for stealing thousands and thousands of pieces of mail and packages ... a smaller group in the New England states was cited for the same thing ... carrier theft happens, it's real ...

In a situation like yours there are only three possibilities:

1. You shipped an empty box (doubtful since you are posting about it)

2. A carrier employee stole it

3. The Buyer is lying

mail .jpg

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 6 of 42
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

My understanding is that by using your GSP program the seller should be PROTECTED when this type of claim is made.

I didn't think a seller was protected from all SNADs ... off the top of my head, the only added protection I thought was granted through the GSP is (a) damaged shipments and (b) lost or not delivered shipments.

Message 7 of 42
latest reply

@jeannicho22 wrote:

First of all I would stop using the GSP... bad news for sellers, bad news for buyers.  Unless of course you claim the package was empty.  If buyers from countries you don't ship to want to purchase, they can employ their own freight forwarding service.  This BTW, voids their MBG through eBay.

This is absolutely the WORST advice I have seen in the eBay community today.  eBay GSP program has protections for sellers once the package arrives at the eBay USA distribution center.  Sellers responsibility ends once the GSP accepts the incoming package and also forwards it to its destination.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 8 of 42
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

@jeannicho22 wrote:

This is absolutely the WORST advice I have seen in the eBay community today.  eBay GSP program has protections for sellers once the package arrives at the eBay USA distribution center.  Sellers responsibility ends once the GSP accepts the incoming package and also forwards it to its estimation.

Good Luck Selling!

I don't think the text in red is correct.  I am under the impression that a seller can still be responsible if a SNAD claim is made ... correct me if I'm wrong.

Message 9 of 42
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

@jeannicho22 wrote:

This is absolutely the WORST advice I have seen in the eBay community today.  eBay GSP program has protections for sellers once the package arrives at the eBay USA distribution center.  Sellers responsibility ends once the GSP accepts the incoming package and also forwards it to its estimation.

Good Luck Selling!

Apparently not. 

I've shipped through reshippers with no issues ever.  Based on the number of posts where sellers lose when GSP is involved I would never use them.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 10 of 42
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

@jeannicho22 wrote:

This is absolutely the WORST advice I have seen in the eBay community today.  eBay GSP program has protections for sellers once the package arrives at the eBay USA distribution center.  Sellers responsibility ends once the GSP accepts the incoming package and also forwards it to its destination.

Good Luck Selling!

Many buyers don't like GSP due to the fees e-bay adds on to the package.

It gives the control over to ebay, and if they screw up, the seller needs to go head to head with ebay. We tried GSP for a short while, and very fast backed out. So much easier just shipping items direct to customers without giving ebay more fees.

Message 11 of 42
latest reply

@cellit wrote:

Logical & reality based, that GSP employees would take notice if a box was empty or that the box was filled with garbadge.

Outrageous that the seller would be forced to refund.

GSP shipping is certainly not inexpensive, bargain priced shipping.

Message 12 of 42
latest reply

Outrageous that the seller would be forced to refund.

GSP shipping is certainly not inexpensive, bargain priced shipping.

The GSP does not offer any protection for SNAD claims.  For example, if you send a pair of shoes through the GSP, and the buyer says they "don't match the description"  the seller is responsible for fronting the money for return shipping the same as if it were a domestic sale. 

Trinton, in a post the other day, said if the claim was made on eBay, to simply escalate the case (Ask eBay to step in and help),  Though as convincing as he sounded I would never advise anyone to do this, and I am not suggesting it as an option.  This is NOT a damaged in shipping claim nor an INR. 

The problem I see here is that the "empty box" claim is a SNAD claim.  Again, there is no protection for any SNAD claim with the GSP other than "damaged in shipping".   So eBay needs to clarify if these "empty box" claims are the responsibility of the GSP or the seller. 

Message 13 of 42
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

@jeannicho22 wrote:

Good Luck Selling!

The program is SUPPOSED to work that once the GSP accepts the incoming package, the seller's responsibility is over.  And yet, as you can see, those protections aren't working.  The seller ends up in a finger pointing contest and they are the one that comes up flipping the bill.  If a seller ships internationally via the GSP and the buyer claims INAD, the seller is the one who has to flip the bill for return shipping.  .

On the other hand, if the buyer utilizes their own freight forwarder, the seller actually only does have the responsibility to get tracking to the freight forwarder.  Once the item is accepted there, the seller's responsibility REALLY IS OVER.  The buyer loses all their eBay MBG once the item is forwarded.  They cannot open an INR and they cannot open an INAD in eBay.  If the buyer decides to open a PayPal INAD, the buyer has to flip the bill for return shipping from wherever the item was shipped to.

Can you please now tell me how my advice was the WORST advice you seen in the eBay community today?  The GSP is an utter nightmare.  Additionally, with all the fees that are added onto the purchase up front, I'm surprised anyone sells anything through the program.  Look also at the fact how many buyers end up dissatisfied because their items end up disappearing at the facility and US based sellers find their items being sold by other US based sellers who bought the items at auction here in the US.

Please do tell how wonderful the program is.

That's 5 sellers who seem to know what they're talking about on a regular basis.... and then 1 touting how wonderful it is.  Shrugs.

Message 14 of 42
latest reply

@jeannicho22 wrote:

The program is SUPPOSED to work that once the GSP accepts the incoming package, the seller's responsibility is over.

To a degree. The seller is no longer held responsible if an INR case is filed. Nor is the seller held responsible for transit damage.

Empty box is a SNAD claim, and the seller is always responsible for a SNAD claim.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 15 of 42
latest reply