cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not on every listing, but some

note the "show more" and the lighter line at the bottom  (not enough coffee to figure out what to call it)

this is on a pc, not mobile........  What now? 

Screenshot (360).png

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

@dhbookds wrote:

Should have done a screen shot, sorry........ my monitor is 18" long....anymore I don't know if that is small or not...lol

Screenshot (361).png

Do you get a scroll bar within the description sandbox of that listing when you hover over it? Not talking about the main page scroll bar on the right.

With all the changes to search view, listing view, profile view, etc I would not be surprised to hear this is a phased rollout and not just a test.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 16 of 37
latest reply

I do not see the shaded line and I have yet to see a listing with the "show more" button.

I usually use firefox,  just tried chrome....no difference? 27" standard resolution monitor, Win10 Home Edition.

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

What happens with the see more link - does it expand the description within the listing or does it result in a pop up? If the result is a pop up I would one thousand percent prefer a scroll option instead of a see more button.

@dhbookds @fern*wood @valueaddedresource 

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 18 of 37
latest reply

I'm seeing it too.

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

I suspect this is a test applied to some buyer accounts. When I view my three example listings (and other seller's listing) in Firefox :

1. First listing has HTML and a long description, so there is a button to show more.

2. Second listing has HTML, but it fits within the vertical window, so not button and only a bit of fading at the end of the description.

3. Text only listing is three lines, but third line shows shading, even when no button is needed.

shipscript_0-1678255799968.png

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 20 of 37
latest reply

Hey @shipscript - would you mind testing something? Add 2 line breaks to the end of your description on that third listing to see if it prevents the last line of text from fading out?

GLORIOUS!

Message 21 of 37
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

What happens with the see more link - does it expand the description within the listing or does it result in a pop up? If the result is a pop up I would one thousand percent prefer a scroll option instead of a see more button.

@dhbookds @fern*wood @valueaddedresource 

@wastingtime101 thankfully no pop up - it does just expand the description within the listing.

Message 22 of 37
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Just  below the faded line is  a 'show more ' button that expands to show the rest of my description.  

Message 23 of 37
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

@dhbookds  I agree, it's probably a test of some sort. Not everyone is seeing the same thing when they look at the same listing. 

Maybe ebay is afraid a lengthy description might distract the buyer from the important stuff, like the gazillion Promoted Listings....

devon@ebay   Can you get us some information on this?

Hey @my-cottage-books-and-antiques! I have reached out to a few different teams and there are some tests that are being ran on how listings are viewed.  

Devon,
eBay
Message 24 of 37
latest reply

Thanks devon@ebay  that's good to know.

Message 25 of 37
latest reply

I just started seeing this today on Windows 10 Pro (desktop computer) using chrome. When I refreshed the page, the same listing displayed as it used to with the full description, so I came to the conclusion this is a test.

Can I say this is a terrible idea! I remember when https was introduced, and it was necessary to click on a link to view the description. I understand the reasons behind that, but this decision is extremely unhelpful to both seller and buyer. The description is often VERY important. Sellers go to a lot of time and trouble to ensure they are informative. If a buyer doesn't click on it (whether they missed it, or couldn't be bothered with additional clicks), it will only lead to a lot of problems. I'm amazed eBay would even test the idea of reducing descriptions to a lost looking, and not particularly obvious 'show more' button. Initially I thought my browser simply hadn't loaded the page correctly before I even noticed it!

Message 26 of 37
latest reply

I guess I'm going to start changing up how I write my descriptions.  I usually put the condition toward the end after other details.  Now I'll start putting the condition right below the first line and hope that doesn't get blurred.

Message 27 of 37
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

The window opens larger. In my view, there is still an interior scrollbar and a "show less" button.  The scroll was about one character height. But when I changed the zoom to make the font smaller, the interior scrollbar was eliminated.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223271911350

shipscript_0-1678293522670.png

I could not get the shading to show on this listing, but there is an internal scrollbar. Internal scrollbars are usually due to slow loading content, where a refresh after the page has loaded will cause the description window to open fully. Not so in this case. The scrollbar remains and there is no fading either before or after scrolling.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394437457769

image.png

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Hey @shipscript - would you mind testing something? Add 2 line breaks to the end of your description on that third listing to see if it prevents the last line of text from fading out?

I had thought the test disappeared on my accounts, but it seems if I refresh the page, it may appear again (in most cases). I know what you are asking. If there are two more empty lines, the fading will occur on those empty lines and not on the actual text above it. However, I don't know if I would then be able to conclude I was seeing the test version.  So I took a different listing that first showed one line dimmed. Then I added two more text lines and a couple of line breaks. However, to be able to tell It was still in the test, I revised again and added a row of  dots a few lines down which are very faint, indicating I am still seeing the test version.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385240978522

image.png

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 28 of 37
latest reply

I'm seeing either SHOW MORE or last lines fade on every listing I view. That includes single line descriptions:

adoptagrey_0-1678310089145.png

For now I will add garbage lines underneath my descriptions so they fade and not the information lines that buyers need.

Message 29 of 37
latest reply

@shipscript wrote:

@wastingtime101 wrote:

I had thought the test disappeared on my accounts, but it seems if I refresh the page, it may appear again (in most cases). I know what you are asking. If there are two more empty lines, the fading will occur on those empty lines and not on the actual text above it. However, I don't know if I would then be able to conclude I was seeing the test version.  So I took a different listing that first showed one line dimmed. Then I added two more text lines and a couple of line breaks. However, to be able to tell It was still in the test, I revised again and added a row of  dots a few lines down which are very faint, indicating I am still seeing the test version.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385240978522

image.png

Yes, exactly. If the description is short enough it is fading out text with no scroll bar so it looks like the only solution (if eBay makes that version of the test permanent down the line) is to add extra line breaks at the end.

The scroll bar and see more links are extra work but at least the info is there. The fade with no scroll is flat out obscuring text.

Thanks for testing that.

GLORIOUS!

Message 30 of 37
latest reply