cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Promoted Funkoween Presale Violations

tyler@ebay  brian@ebay brittanie@ebay 

Why is eBay actively promoting a Funko Pop Funkoween event where most listings are in violation of eBay's Presale Policies?

These are just a few examples but many of the 400+ listings eBay has included here don't follow the rules.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/presale-listings-policy?id=4252 

https://www.ebay.com/e/artscollectibles/funkoween-2021 

funko.jpg

funkoweenpage1-1.jpg

funkoween3-1.jpg

funkoween1-1.jpg

Message 1 of 92
latest reply
91 REPLIES 91

Re: eBay Promoted Funkoween Presale Violations

@luckythewinner  - thank you, but that doesn't really address the FTC 30 Day Mailing rule issue.

Message 46 of 92
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

I hate to burst @a_c_green 's bubble here, but eBay certainly does not appear to be in any great hurry to clear this issue up.

Heh... yeah, no worries, my bubble is fine. 😊 brittanie@ebay , we know that the company can't comment on individual cases, but obviously either the listings are still there or they're not, and apparently these are still there, at least until they end. It would help if the company would at least explain why an exception is being carved out for these sellers, since of course it's doing a disservice to other sellers who are trying to play by the rules.

If you'll be in the Weekly Chat this coming Wednesday, please rattle some cages today, and update us on Wednesday with whatever you can learn.

Message 47 of 92
latest reply

It's now been 3 weeks since this was first reported to eBay and they still have not taken action to end these listings.

Despite the answers being given by eBay staff in the chats, it's pretty obvious at this point that eBay has simply made an intentional choice to allow sellers of these items to continue violating both eBay policy and FTC 30 Day Mailing requirements.

I know I won't get an actual answer, but like @a_c_green said it would be nice to at least be told why eBay has decided to make an exception for these sellers and/or these items.  It does a disservice to the sellers who are following the rules and it sets up the possibility for a terrible buyer experience as well.

Buyers who get burned and don't receive their items will not be covered by the money back guarantee and the odds of them ever buying anything on eBay again after that kind of experience are pretty much 0.

I know the new FTC chair has her hands full with Amazon right now, but maybe when she's done there she can look into eBay's handling of presale listings - there are many, many examples beyond just this one presale event, especially in the trading card and comics categories.

Message 48 of 92
latest reply

I just posted the other day about how eBay needs to do a better job enforcing the presale policy. Too many buyers come here out of luck when their orders aren't filled and they're past deadlines to file claims. I hadn't seen this discussion before- or the last few chats- and have to say that I'm not surprised these presale listings are still up. They bring a lot of traffic to the site and those buyers buy other Funko Pops while they're here. eBay's in no rush to turn that off and be the one venue that's not equipped to handle months ahead presales on such hot items.

We've seen over and over that eBay doesn't bother with these blatant policy violations. One time Trinton told us (grossly paraphrasing here) that it may seem like eBay's doing nothing, but that's only because their manpower has to give priority to more serious listing violations like human trafficking and they'll get around to the other policy violations eventually. Clearly the team handling this isn't big enough. They expect bots to do most of the work- which is why we see so many bogus takedowns- then they have to commit manpower to all the sellers appealing takedowns that were never policy violations to begin with. If they're going to rely on bots then they need a lot more refinement. I'd like to believe the bots do an overall decent job of getting rid of a lot of the garbage- but I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out they do more harm than good. eBay certainly needs a much better way to deal with presales because to date it seems that little to no attention is placed on enforcing this policy- probably because of the manpower required.

Message 49 of 92
latest reply

error, pardon, please

Message 50 of 92
latest reply

Maybe it's time to escalate? 

@Anonymous 

would you please review this thread and help us understand why this kind of thing doesn't seem to be on the front burner somewhere? 

Message 51 of 92
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Maybe it's time to escalate? 

@Anonymous 

would you please review this thread and help us understand why this kind of thing doesn't seem to be on the front burner somewhere? 

Thanks @dhbookds!

Message 52 of 92
latest reply

"Thanks @itsjustasprain  it was already on my weekend to do list and I will definitely report the results....I'm just not sure if I should do one big report or 445 individual ones? "

Personally, I think 445 individual ones would be much more effective.  Time consuming, but more effective.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 53 of 92
latest reply

I'm also just catching up on this thread. Wow.

It's clear that multiple ebay employees have completely been ignoring everything in this thread for weeks now. Completely inexcusable.

Maybe Brian, Tyler, Brittanie etc are taking lessons from the overseas CSRs and "just telling you what you want to hear" in hopes you'll go away?

Glad that nobody here is just going away though. Outrageous and ridiculous that this has been allowed to go on for 3+ weeks now.

Message 54 of 92
latest reply

I think the newer lack of attention and participation in the forums is due to the 'new forum' that is being instituted.  I think perhaps someone caught heat from posting something they maybe shouldn't have so now they aren't suppose to respond to threads - just to the individual, maybe.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 55 of 92
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

"Thanks @itsjustasprain  it was already on my weekend to do list and I will definitely report the results....I'm just not sure if I should do one big report or 445 individual ones? "

Personally, I think 445 individual ones would be much more effective.  Time consuming, but more effective.

@gracieallen01  I don't have quite that much time, but when I do take the time to report a few listings to eBay, it's not too much extra effort to have the FTC report page open in another tab to send the info to them too. 😉

Message 56 of 92
latest reply

😁  I have a friend that I keep telling, 'just open another window'.  (sigh) Never listens to me.  😀

Message 57 of 92
latest reply

tyler@ebay  brian@ebay brittanie@ebay 

Why is eBay actively promoting a Funko Pop Funkoween event where most listings are in violation of eBay's Presale Policies?

These are just a few examples but many of the 400+ listings eBay has included here don't follow the rules.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/presale-listings-policy?id=4252 

https://www.ebay.com/e/artscollectibles/funkoween-2021 

funko.jpg

Perhaps FEEbay is following those politicians or celebrities telling people to do this or that, and they themselves don't abide by the rules they spew????

ZZZZ_41.jpg

Message 58 of 92
latest reply

Not only does this seller violate the pre-sale policies, but their descriptions also direct buyers off eBay to the seller's Instagram and website. 😲  

brittanie@ebay 

desc6-23.jpg

Message 59 of 92
latest reply

Not only does this seller violate the pre-sale policies, but their descriptions also direct buyers off eBay to the seller's Instagram and website. 😲  

brittanie@ebay 

desc6-23.jpg

@valueaddedresource If you haven't already, please use the report item link on that listing so this goes to the correct team. The Community Team is not able to take action on any listing violations, nor speak to reports made on items. We absolutely want to see appropriate action taken, which is why we would want this to get to the correct team for review.

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 60 of 92
latest reply