cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Open Recaps and Highlights (post them here)

Post any stand out points here after you attend each session. I'll start with what I thought were the top takeaways from the opening session.

Opening Keynote with CEO Jamie Iannone

- eBay will be rolling out an option for sellers to receive immediate payment on offers. They're developing what we've been suggesting for years on this forum- a way that prompts buyers to submit payment details at the time they make or accept an offer.

- eBay intends to add this immediate payment option to auctions next year in 2022- presumably, payment details will be entered at the time buyers place a bid. If they are the winning bidder then their payment source will be instantly charged.

- eBay will be adding a level of seller protection on negative feedback- when a buyer's remorse return is filed outside of the seller's set return policy timeframe, any negative feedback resulting from the return being declined will be removed.

- eBay will be rolling out more payout schedule options with Managed Payments.

- eBay will be providing more ways to spend your balance on eBay- making purchases and something to do with shipping labels that wasn't explained in any detail just yet.

- eBay is looking to add a flag on incoming offers to let you know if it's a repeat customer. This is both good and bad- the good is obvious. The bad is that it sounds like it will be exclusive to offers. We have been asking through this forum for years for eBay to flag repeat customers through Seller Hub. It would be nice if eBay could add that option at the same time they add it to incoming offers.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: eBay Open Recaps and Highlights (post them here)

The alcohol is waiting for the MP Problems drinking game.  I personally prefer espresso shots.  

I didn't even try to get into this thing.  Anything useful or really abusive was guaranteed to be all over the boards, and dealers in vintage merch were going to be kicked to the corner as usual.  Or just kicked. Why bother? 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 16 of 31
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

Got into the break out session on collectibles.  It was nothing but trading cards - I honestly thought I either clicked on the wrong thing or accidentally signed up wrong. 

tyler@ebay- Several posters are saying this. I think it was a missed opportunity by eBay to better clarify exactly which breakout session was relevant to their category.

At least some of these sellers likely belonged in the Home & Garden breakout which was explained as- Home & Garden, Collectibles, and all Hardline product. It was also described as "everything that doesn't plug in except for lamps since they're a decor item." The H&G session spent a lot of time discussing large items like furniture, preowned items including collectibles, and that this is a growth category eBay will be emphasizing. They're going to take a room-based approach to growing out these categories. First living room. Second kitchen & dining. The pie chart went by too fast for me to see the rest of the order.

So collectible toys, comics and such would have fallen under the Collectibles breakout and apparently learned about nothing other than trading cards. Those selling things like collectible decor (someone upthread mentioned figurines and plates) would have fallen under the H&G breakout.

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

@katzrul15 wrote:

Got into the break out session on collectibles.  It was nothing but trading cards - I honestly thought I either clicked on the wrong thing or accidentally signed up wrong. 

tyler@ebay- Several posters are saying this. I think it was a missed opportunity by eBay to better clarify exactly which breakout session was relevant to their category.

At least some of these sellers likely belonged in the Home & Garden breakout which was explained as- Home & Garden, Collectibles, and all Hardline product. It was also described as "everything that doesn't plug in except for lamps since they're a decor item." The H&G session spent a lot of time discussing large items like furniture, preowned items including collectibles, and that this is a growth category eBay will be emphasizing. They're going to take a room-based approach to growing out these categories. First living room. Second kitchen & dining. The pie chart went by too fast for me to see the rest of the order.

So collectible toys, comics and such would have fallen under the Collectibles breakout and apparently learned about nothing other than trading cards. Those selling things like collectible decor (someone upthread mentioned figurines and plates) would have fallen under the H&G breakout.

And trading card peeps likely did not sign up for collectibles.....

Thank you for the link to the keynote, I want to view that.  Are the other break out sessions also available so I could watch one other than trading cards?  lol

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 18 of 31
latest reply

Katz- I think right now only the CEO's keynote and Andrea Stairs' welcome are on YouTube. I haven't read anywhere about eBay making anything other than keynotes available for streaming. It would be nice if they did make other sessions available, though.

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

- eBay will be rolling out an option for sellers to receive immediate payment on offers. 

@coffeebean832 

I kind of like this one if it is implemented 
appropriately.  Mercari uses a feature like that.  A buyer makes me an offer and I accept, payment is provided instantly, and the shipping label is in my email.  If it actually works in that fashion, it will may put a "damper" on the eBay 'text me' scammer crowd.  Can't see now, how it could be implemented if you 'combine' shipping.  

Thank you so much for your report.  Your time and effort, as well as others that are reporting here is most appreciated! 

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

Katz- I think right now only the CEO's keynote and Andrea Stairs' welcome are on YouTube. I haven't read anywhere about eBay making anything other than keynotes available for streaming. It would be nice if they did make other sessions available, though.

Yes it would - if Tyler checks in with you on the other, would you be so kind as to ask?  TY in advance!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 21 of 31
latest reply

@coffeebean832 ebay has said most of the videos will be available on YouTube, but I don't think they will be available until next week....

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

They posted these links, not all the break outs I don't think........

Creating the perfect listing bit.ly/3ilKLAY

Starter: How I built my business: tips and tricks from successful sellers bit.ly/3ytCd0r

Next level: Getting paid on eBay bit.ly/3ykDSW5

Next level: New ecommerce behaviors, new opportunities, an a look at holiday 2021 bit.ly/3ioMiX2

•  

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

@coffeebean832  It looks like they have the key notes so far today up on YouTube already.

Pete Thompson - Product Experience  bit.ly/2VjX20c 

Tom Pinckney - Stores  bit.ly/3ju9Pou 

Alex Kazim - Ads  bit.ly/2VAH8Or

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

A number of changes coming to stores...my favorite is the social media change: if buyer comes to my item through a link I posted to social media (say, my Facebook business page), my FVF will be only 2.56% (plus the regular 30 cent transaction fee). No definite timeline for this to be released (I'm hoping in time to help with the Holiday Sale Season this year), and no details on how it will work. 

Years ago, ebay had what they called a store referral fee discount, and this is similar and something many of us have been asking for ever since they scrapped that...and now, with social media even bigger than back then, sellers who effectively use social media could save some real money here....

Hoping to see this go live in the near future.

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

Andrea Stairs / Bradford Shellhamer - Buyer Experience bit.ly/3Cn1Nq8

Bradford Shellhammer/Julie Ask - Evolution of ecommerce customer experience and expectations http://bit.ly/3lA9dAs 

Day 2 Morning Training Sessions:

Mastering your marketing strategy bit.ly/3xqhMjQ

Maximizing efficiency with eBay seller tools bit.ly/3xs1I0W

Elevating your brand with an eBay Store bit.ly/3lw5Jz2

How to build your brand and market your business bit.ly/3jv3329

Day 2 Afternoon Training Sessions:

Creating connections by providing exceptional customer service bit.ly/3jk8X60

Shipping best practices bit.ly/37p3Coh

Harnessing the power of eBay data to optimize your business bit.ly/3ioAkMP

Managing your business at scale with APIs bit.ly/37nCZ36

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

Catching up on the videos from today's sessions, I noticed it looks like they were uploaded to YouTube yesterday.  So the video parts of these sessions are pre-recorded and it's only the chat function and booths that are live? 

If that's the case, I have to wonder why they are structuring it like a live event with overlapping scheduled sessions? I think it would have been more user friendly just to have those videos as on demand content with a section where you can submit questions or feedback.

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

Catching up on the videos from today's sessions, I noticed it looks like they were uploaded to YouTube yesterday.  So the video parts of these sessions are pre-recorded and it's only the chat function and booths that are live? 

If that's the case, I have to wonder why they are structuring it like a live event with overlapping scheduled sessions? I think it would have been more user friendly just to have those videos as on demand content with a section where you can submit questions or feedback.

I need to catch up as best I can with the YouTube videos. I missed the last 2 days of open due to some pressing family matters.

From what I saw on day 1- some videos were live and some were prerecorded. The one category breakout session I watched was live. The category breakouts were all hosted simultaneously.

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote:

I need to catch up as best I can with the YouTube videos. I missed the last 2 days of open due to some pressing family matters.

From what I saw on day 1- some videos were live and some were prerecorded. The one category breakout session I watched was live. The category breakouts were all hosted simultaneously.

@coffeebean832  that was my sense of it too - the category breakouts did seem to be live from what I've heard, which may be why those didn't make it to YouTube.

I know on day three there was more transparency with most sessions I attended having at least one presenter from the video there saying it was pre-recorded so they could be in the chat sessions with attendees.

I'll admit it was still a little disappointing though because in the sessions I attended at least, if someone tried to ask the presenter a specific question in chat they were directed to ask it in the Q&A tab instead where it was answered by someone else on the team.

I know it's a little thing and hopefully people did at least still get answers to their questions, but it just seemed to be lacking a more personal "feel" for lack of a better way to describe it. 

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

I don’t have an issue with people not paying because I rarely allow offers. Also, I don’t remember the last time I had an auction winner not pay. I’ve had some slow pays which doesn’t bother me. 

Message 30 of 31
latest reply