cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When did eBay stop taking FVF's immediately from orders

Back in October I was checking my sold items and realized eBay had not been taking FVF's out of the orders as they are bought. My last 5 sold items since Oct 19 have been this way. I contacted eBay and the CS rep said I could be on a special no fees promotion and not to worry as I wouldn't be charged for them.

Today I received a notice that my account on file was to be charged for $xx.xx. When I went to see what the charge was for since I hadn't sold anything the last week, it was for 2 of the items I sold in October that they hadn't taken the fees out of.

Has this happened to anyone else lately. I have 3 more sales that I know the fees were not deducted from. I guess I will be getting another invoice for them soon.

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: When did eBay stop taking FVF's immediately from orders

I have one sale like this.  No idea what is up.  On another account, I wasn't charged for the shipping label until a week after I bought it.

Just a thought, but this seems to have started the same time as ebay  started playing Paypal again.

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

Can you explain ". . . eBay started playing PayPal again."?

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

They are doing that "spend your sales money here on ebay" thing.  I think it's called ePay.

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

Got hit with this today.  Two large charges to my credit card for FVF's I didn't even realize I owed.  Just thought they had been taken out at the time of sale, like they have always been since I joined ebay payments.

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

We were charged over $2,000 in final value fees this morning for hundreds of items eBay did not collect FVF for. We had contacted eBay and they said it was a special promotion which is why we weren't being charged.

This is really annoying and feels like a bait and switch, we were expecting a much bigger payout this week.

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

@sofancy wrote:

We were charged over $2,000 in final value fees this morning for hundreds of items eBay did not collect FVF for. We had contacted eBay and they said it was a special promotion which is why we weren't being charged.

This is really annoying and feels like a bait and switch, we were expecting a much bigger payout this week.

@sofancy  - did they tell you what the promotion was for? can you go back and look at an order that didn't have fees taken out and see if there is a memo about a promotion?

Reading this thread reminded me that around this same time last year there was a big snafu with eBay applying a no FVF promo that was meant just for personalized items to a bunch of non-personalized items in error - and they later came back and recharged those fees.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Items-selling-without-final-value-fees-Personalization/td-p/32...

Wondering if something similar is happening here?

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

The rep we chatted with did not say what the promotion was for - just that eBay runs promotions from time to time which is why we weren't being charged FVFs.

We had initially contacted eBay because we weren't being refunded the FVFs on returns. Turns out we weren't paying any FVFs which is why eBay wasn't returning that portion when we were processing refunds.

I understand in the end the net sum is the same, however eBay really handled this terribly and led us to believe we weren't going to be charged these fees.

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

@sofancy wrote:

The rep we chatted with did not say what the promotion was for - just that eBay runs promotions from time to time which is why we weren't being charged FVFs.

We had initially contacted eBay because we weren't being refunded the FVFs on returns. Turns out we weren't paying any FVFs which is why eBay wasn't returning that portion when we were processing refunds.

I understand in the end the net sum is the same, however eBay really handled this terribly and led us to believe we weren't going to be charged these fees.

@sofancy yeah, even if the net works out the same, I can see how this could be a major cash flow inconvenience and with it being the height of holiday shopping season, it's a terrible time for that to happen for some sellers.

And now that you have been charged, I wonder if they returned the portion for the refunds - but I suppose it would be a pain to go back through every transaction to confirm that.

What a mess! I agree eBay definitely should have handled it better.

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

devon@ebay  elizabeth@ebay  can you look into this issue please?

Last year there was a similar issue that happened with a promotion for personalized items that ended up being applied incorrectly - when it was discovered, a notice was posted here in the community and sent to affected sellers explaining what happened and that the fees would be recouped.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Items-selling-without-final-value-fees-Personalization/m-p/324... 

If something similar is happening here, I think it would also be appropriate to post a notice in the community and communicate directly with sellers.

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

Anyone else who is impacted by this - are the individual fees being retroactively charged all $0.30 or were they varying amounts?

I'm wondering if the promotion was supposed to be no payment processing fees, only pay the variable percentage FVF and that was possibly applied in error, so now they are coming back to collect the $0.30/transaction?

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

I didn't realize it until November 23rd. When I looked back, they didn't take any final value fee's from October 1st thru November 20th or so. So in the past week or so I've essentially "lost"(not really) a little over $1000. This whole time I thought they were taking them out immediately as they said, so obviously I didn't think anything of it.  This morning I just paid another $440 in fee's that came thru in the last 12 hours. Thankfully, I think it's all caught up now but it's really messed up my cash flow. Had I would have known this, I would've just set the money aside like I used to when we paid monthly.

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

Same here. Messed up my cash flow and even more important my sourcing for next week.

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

I feel your pain.  Same thing has happened to us. i.e. cashflow.

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

devon@ebay  elizabeth@ebay  can you look into this issue please?

Last year there was a similar issue that happened with a promotion for personalized items that ended up being applied incorrectly - when it was discovered, a notice was posted here in the community and sent to affected sellers explaining what happened and that the fees would be recouped.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Items-selling-without-final-value-fees-Personalization/m-p/324... 

If something similar is happening here, I think it would also be appropriate to post a notice in the community and communicate directly with sellers.

Hey @valueaddedresource! This is a known sitewide issue that has a ticket open for it to be resolved. If there are any sellers that are running into final value fees not be charged on items they have sold they can reach out to customer support here and let them know that you are running into ALERT14305. 

Devon,
eBay
Message 15 of 34
latest reply