cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When customers check out incorrectly, or buy multiple items in multiple transactions...

... do you combine shipping, pack the items together, and give them a refund for the excess shipping?

I used to all the time, no matter what, even if i already packaged their orders and printed out shipping labels,

I would re-pack, void the shipping label(s) and start over.

Lately  (as I get grouchier in my old age) I'll only do it if I catch it beforehand.  But If I've already packaged one of the items or printed out one of the shipping labels, I just say "screw it" and ship them separately.

Just wondering how everyone else does it.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: When customers check out incorrectly, or buy multiple items in multiple transactions...

Yep! All of the above.

Sometimes, I'm like if they are dumb enough to buy and PAY for things separately well then ....

Sometimes, I'm like okay I can package them together and save them money, refunding....

Sometimes, I package together and don't refund, see item #1.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Re: When customers check out incorrectly, or buy multiple items in multiple transactions...

@inhawaii wrote:

... do you combine shipping, pack the items together, and give them a refund for the excess shipping?

I used to all the time, no matter what, even if i already packaged their orders and printed out shipping labels,

Lately  (as I get grouchier in my old age) I'll only do it if I catch it beforehand.  But If I've already packaged one of the items or printed out one of the shipping labels, I just say "screw it" and ship them separately.

@inhawaiiI combine and refund even if I've missed a multiple order - I've had a couple of my regular and very intelligent, reliable buyers tell me that they can't always get the shopping cart to work, and I know that has been a problem.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

On my main account, I have free shipping.  If I get some one that bought multiple items, I combine.  On my smaller account, I charge for shipping, but I don't combine.  I do this, because of smart people (scammers/people wanting things for free) claiming that they only received 1 item, and not the other...

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

If you were to combine  orders, they would both share the same tracking number.

There would be a record of a "shipping discount" refund to the buyer.

How could that hurt you in a INR claim?

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@inhawaiiI combine and refund even if I've missed a multiple order - I've had a couple of my regular and very intelligent, reliable buyers tell me that they can't always get the shopping cart to work, and I know that has been a problem.

My most recent one (yesterday) was a buyer that bought one item, then about 4 minutes later bought another of the same item.   They could have just entered a quantity of "2" instead of "1" when they bought the first one.  No blaming the shopping cart on that one.   😉

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Yes to the above. More times than not buyers don't even ASK me for a refund of shipping charges. Good thing I'm honest. Just had a person buy 6 items, pay $27.00 in shipping when in reality it only cost $4.50. 

They didn't use the cart. I get a lot of app buyers and the cart doesn't work so I am well versed at refunding over payment of shipping charges. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@inhawaii Just like you, I "used" to do it like that. Repackage items and void additional labels. No longer, but I have alternative ways. I sell many dolls and accessories, so I actually often run into this scenario. Here are some of my options. 

If it's someone who has purchased from me before, I will throw in comparable extra items. Usually an extra outfit. A pair of doll shoes is typically $7.00 so by adding in just one pair I have more than made up for additional shipping. 

If it's a new buyer to me, I will throw in additional accessories such as dress stands or clothes hangers. 

I use the opportunity to get rid of smaller items that don't sell well anyways and none of these items have much of a cost to me, but they all have value to buyers. 

Not once have I had any issues with someone not being happy to get extra items, but again this is because these are collectible items. 

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

ugh, know the feeling, if it gets pack I'm not repacking. Its clearly stated to put in cart yet I still get several buy pay and buy pay. Sundays if I have ton to pack I may not see they bought a couple things, OOPs their bad. Only get mad when they have bought several times, I've refunded them and they still pay separate.

But diffidently don't refund ebay's extra fees.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Yes, if the items are heavy enough that I'm charging for Shipping (which for me is 1 pound or higher). If they're listed with Free Shipping (under 1 pound and with a domestic destination), I just combine and ship as-is.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

All of the above....

Most of the time I give them a partial refund (not all of it) and a friendly note on how to 'get maximum, and automatic, savings on future orders by using the cart'.  (WHY OH WHY does the BUY IT NOW button even exist anymore?! But I digress....)

And yes, if I've already packed one order and THEN notice there are two to the same person..... I have to admit just saying screw it and shipping them two packages, since hey, they paid for two packages....

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

If they purchase at the same time I combine shipping and issue a refund.   If they make another purchase after I have already printed the label for the first item and they ask to ship together I tell them sorry but the first order has been shipped, which it has even though I have not dropped it off at the PO.   Once the label has been printed I consider it shipped. 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I combine, print a label with no value shown and ship.

If they complain then I'll refund the difference.  

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

My most recent one (yesterday) was a buyer that bought one item, then about 4 minutes later bought another of the same item.   They could have just entered a quantity of "2" instead of "1" when they bought the first one.  No blaming the shopping cart on that one.   😉

I don't sell multi-quantity so haven't run into that behaviour.  I still would treat it the same - combine and just refund a bit of shipping (I subtract my own fees from that).  My feeling is that dealing in such a way pays off down the line.  Also, all kinds of people go tromping through this site and I treat everyone the same.  I see the other POV, but that's how I do things.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Ooops, I have done that.

I am a bit of a softy though (and a seller) and once I realised I wanted the extra item as well I waited till the first one was shipped, then purchased the other one. The shipping cost was not high and the prices were really good so win win. Sellers need a win here and there LOL

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 15 of 16
latest reply