cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is with uploading my driver's license?

What is with uploading my driver's license? I have been selling on ebay since 2001 and never had to do that before.  Is that something new?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

@fancycolors 

Yes, it's fairly new.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Seems they redo verification every so often.

Had any returns? had any failed delivery's, any canceled sales,   had any items removed by eBay or VERO?

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

here's a discussion.......next to last post may have the reason.....

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Anyone-else-getting-these-messages-from-ebay/m-p/33318630#M210...

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

I had to do it a few weeks ago.

I had to upload both sides of my license

I think it had to do with MP or something

its not a big deal to me since it went smoothly. once and done and no waiting on anything

@fancycolors 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

eBay is required by law to:

KYC means Know Your Customer and sometimes Know Your Client.

KYC or KYC check is the mandatory process of identifying and verifying the client's identity when opening an account and periodically over time.

In other words, ebay must make sure that their clients are genuinely who they claim to be.

Online platforms that process funds may refuse to open an account or halt a business relationship if the client fails to meet minimum KYC requirements.

KYC process includes ID card verification, face verification, document verification such as utility bills as proof of address, and biometric verification.

Facilitators must comply with KYC regulations and anti-money laundering regulations to limit fraud. KYC compliance responsibility rests with the platform. 

In case of failure to comply, heavy penalties can be applied.

In the U.S., Europe, the Middle East, and the Asia Pacific, a cumulated USD26 billion in fines have been levied for non-compliance with AML, KYC, and sanctions-fines the past ten years (2008-2018) - let alone the reputational damage done and not measured.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

I think this has something to do with those 80K IRS agents they are adding to keep track of every person and every penny we spend and earn.. This is fine till someone hacks their information now they have our ss# and a picture of us so anyone can make an ID with this information.. Pay Pal has been hacked a few times over the years and this really doesn't sit well with me..

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

What possible connection are you drawing between the IRS and sending your driver's license to eBay?

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Big brother watching for cheaters. But who watches big brother?

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Nobody watches Big Brother.  It's a complete mystery why CBS hasn't cancelled that turkey yet.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

The all seeing eye watches us all.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@fancycolors wrote:

What is with uploading my driver's license? I have been selling on ebay since 2001 and never had to do that before.  Is that something new?

eBay must be verifying the masses. Got me on the DL verification a few months ago.  Been selling since 2000.

I entered both sides of my DL. The next day they sent a message asking for the same.  I ignored that one.  Have not heard from them since.

Posting ID
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@lakefor94 wrote:

@fancycolors wrote:

eBay must be verifying the masses. Got me on the DL verification a few months ago.  Been selling since 2000.

I entered both sides of my DL. The next day they sent a message asking for the same.  I ignored that one.  Have not heard from them since.

I got that too... I uploaded it at 7:45 am this morning, and at 7:47 am they sent me another message. I went to the link to try and do it again (thinking something went wrong) but it told me verification was in process.

I think they're done with me, the red banner on my payments screen is gone. After I uploaded my ID it said this would disappear once approved.

I don't have a problem giving my ID, but I don't like being asked to do things under the threat of losing my selling privileges without knowing what's going on. Someone in another thread explained it, so I think it's OK.

C.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

My thoughts exactly!  Hackers will have my information and my picture to do with whatever they want!  Do you think ebay is going to do everything (anything) to protect us sellers?  Not.  😞

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

I just got that yesterday as well. PayPal used to do that to me every November when my sales started picking up for the holidays. "We've noticed an increase in activity on your account, please upload documentation to verify your identity" they used to say. I guess eBay is following suit.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply