cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is with uploading my driver's license?

What is with uploading my driver's license? I have been selling on ebay since 2001 and never had to do that before.  Is that something new?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: What is with uploading my driver's license?

I've done it like three times now and it keeps coming back within an hour or 2.  

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

It's random...don't take it personally. I had to send a copy of my bank statement...and that's not easy as well.

If you don't have the new real ID driver's license yet which everyone needs to enter government buildings and fly on airplanes domestic by March....that's a big trip to the DMV only in person...You need 3 forms of ID to get that and the DMV will use a copy machine for those 3 forms in paper form to copy....anything on your iPhone does not count. I got mine but people in front of me in line did not.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@fancycolors wrote:

My thoughts exactly!  Hackers will have my information and my picture to do with whatever they want!  Do you think ebay is going to do everything (anything) to protect us sellers?  Not.  😞

If there ever were a massive eBay Data Breach and personal information got out I am sure eBay will do as other companies have done it the past and offer you one year of Free Credit Monitoring.

There was a data breach that affected 4.9 million during 2011.  A Hard Drive with all the information was stolen out of a parked car.  Big law suit that went no where other than Free Credit Monitoring for a year, if you chose to signed up for it. 

The judge wanted to see who had their Identity Stolen.  I believe it got down to that maybe one person may have been affected although their Identity Theft could have been from else where and not because of the 4.9 million data breach.

I do not know if that hard Drive has ever been recovered.  If not, I suppose one day the information could still be used for something.  The older the data becomes the less useful it is.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

@kphoto37 wrote:

I've done it like three times now and it keeps coming back within an hour or 2.  

I would guess there's something wrong with your photos, they don't meet the "high standards" eBay has for this project. Unfortunately since it's unwise to share that in a public forum, no one can tell you what's wrong with what you're submitting.

Can you use a scanner instead of a camera (could that be the issue?) At my work we have problems with people who submit photos as "evidence" because they are hard to read, but our threshold is very low because we know our customers are using poor quality cell phones to take pictures of their forms (as some have no other way to get their documents to us). For the  most part, we're not verifying identity, just gathering receipts and having forms filled out for benefits.

C.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Very uncomfortable with this; I did this one time submitted my license I got a call about a year later from a police detective asking to meet up with me at the station, he asked if I had a driver's license and wanted to see it, I showed him, he then showed me a folder and asked if I knew any of the people in the lineup, but I didn't. He asked if I had ever given someone a copy of my license I said one time only to a service online a year ago other than that it never sees the light of day. He then told me they had pulled one of the people over in the lineup he could not tell me which one but after meeting me it was obvious I was none of them and highly doubtful I was connected. Turned out my driver's license had been copied in detail and a different face was on it, the only reason the cop realized at the time was because he ran the driver's license. I guess it only takes one rogue employee to resell information. I asked Ebay about their protocol and got a reply months and months later simply saying we require a driver's license to ID. So at this point not sure I want to risk handing a full identity kit with SSN to an online service that is not part of the government. 

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Happens every time I use my Credit Card in Mexico within a few weeks my card is being used by someone else. Sometimes a few dollars to test the card, then other times thousands of dollars. 

I get instant notifications when card is used so I am able to report it very quickly.  

Message 21 of 21
latest reply