cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is hazardous about Noma lights???

Can anyone tell me what is hazardous about noma christmas lights. Ebay removed my list as hazardous!!!! Why???? There are tons listed by other sellers... crazy.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: What is hazardous about Noma lights???

From what i have learned through my inquiries, it has to do with the liquid in the bubble light glass tubes. it is a chemical agent known as methylene chloride, which is what creates the bubbles when it is warmed to its boiling point.  as long as the liquid is completely contained in the glass tube, with no leaks, it is totally harmless, as it can produce no toxic fumes or vapors. however, methylene chloride, if not tightly secured in a safe container, (such as a bubble light tube) is highly poisonous and potentially lethal if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through skin contact. I have collected, handled, and used bubbling christmas lights for many years without a single tragic incident.  i have even broken a couple and the liquid escaped. but i was very careful not to breath the fumes or allow it to touch my skin before i safely and immediately cleaned up the accident.  no harm at all.

All i can figure is that something bad must have happened, (within the past couple of years) such as a serious incident with the lights, triggering a lawsuit, perhaps, which prompted eBay to disallow the lights to be listed on its platform.

I hope this can help with a possible explanation and answer to your question

I hope this helps explain

View Best Answer in original post

Message 34 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

house fires and dead people

Noma | CPSC.gov

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

Those other sellers haven't been caught yet, however you have been. It's like when you're driving and see everyone else speed, so you speed and get pulled over and are issued a ticket. You just happened to be caught breaking the rules. Not everyone will be caught.

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

Water with coloring is not hazardous!!! People maybe?? 

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

In other words you dont know either! Thanks

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

I suppose plenty of the older electrical items listed could be potentially hazardous, but I’ve never heard of them being removed.

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

@shantynassaid  There are tons listed by other sellers... crazy.

Just because other sellers have not been caught for violating policy does not mean that you won't be caught!!! Obey eBay's rules.

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

There are many things on eBay that prohibited like some prescription drugs. eBay removes them but others keep on popping up. It’s like a game whack a moe. 

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

@shantynas wrote:

Water with coloring is not hazardous!!! People maybe?? 

Are you talking about Bubble Lights?  That isn't water.  Bubble Lights don't get hot enough to boil water and make it bubble.  Methylene chloride used in all the old Bubble Lights and is still used by some manufacturers of them.  Methylene chloride is poisonous if inhaled, swallowed, or if it gets on your skin.

If you don't believe me, read this:

https://www.poison.org/articles/bubble-lights-the-hazards-of-nostalgia

or this:

https://www.ehow.com/info_7881325_dangers-bubble-christmas-lights.html

or dozens more like those two.

Do I think they should be banned?  Frankly, no.  The world cannot be made risk-free.  But I can imagine that eBay would ban them, nevertheless.

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

..."Rules For Thee But Not For Me"...

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

Touché

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

@bbravo65 wrote:

..."Rules For Thee But Not For Me"...

Isn't that the mantra of everybody who is out for the extra buck?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 12 of 37
latest reply

The bots just keyed off the name Noma and some other words and flagged it.  There is no explaining it to the reps either as they are clueless. They just go be a list of words.  Don't ever relist them. You can be banned from selling for life if you do.   eBay keeps those pulled listing as part of your "record".

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

According to poision.org, bubble lights contain methylene chloride that can cause poisoning if inhaled or spilled on the skin. Kids are known for breaking ornaments, so this can be an extremely dangerous decoration to keep in households with children.

Since kids can see the light moving inside the lights, they typically become curious and try to touch them. Not only can they be poisonous, but they also a fire hazard. Christmas tree fires do happen, and Christmas tree lights are often the cause of them. To prevent your lights from overheating, simply turn them off each night.

I know you might be thinking, “I had these growing up. Kids are just delicate these days.” Yeah, well hopefully these lights stay out of reach. You wouldn’t want kids or pets being harmed by Vintage Noma lites.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 14 of 37
latest reply

I'm glad I checked this thread, I wasn't aware of these lights. I wouldn't want to buy or sell them.

Message 15 of 37
latest reply