cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is hazardous about Noma lights???

Can anyone tell me what is hazardous about noma christmas lights. Ebay removed my list as hazardous!!!! Why???? There are tons listed by other sellers... crazy.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: What is hazardous about Noma lights???

@larksplane wrote:

Mine just got pulled too, which stinks because I have two more lots that I was planning to list.  I had no idea they were hazardous.  Guess I’ll put them on Marketplace and see what happens. 

So you have been alerted to the fact that they are hazardous and should not be used, but rather than dispose of them properly, you are going to try to sell them on another site to someone who is clueless about them.  Very ethical of you.

Message 31 of 37
latest reply

I heard they have a Tendency to catch fire!

Message 32 of 37
latest reply

My listing too was blocked.  When I questioned this as I have seen others listed too, I was told there were NO complete sets of lights listed but there were plenty of cords with no lights and plenty of bulbs with no cords.  This seemed rather unfair as I assume the hazard is in the bulbs.  Why can they be sold separately and not be a hazard?

Message 33 of 37
latest reply

From what i have learned through my inquiries, it has to do with the liquid in the bubble light glass tubes. it is a chemical agent known as methylene chloride, which is what creates the bubbles when it is warmed to its boiling point.  as long as the liquid is completely contained in the glass tube, with no leaks, it is totally harmless, as it can produce no toxic fumes or vapors. however, methylene chloride, if not tightly secured in a safe container, (such as a bubble light tube) is highly poisonous and potentially lethal if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through skin contact. I have collected, handled, and used bubbling christmas lights for many years without a single tragic incident.  i have even broken a couple and the liquid escaped. but i was very careful not to breath the fumes or allow it to touch my skin before i safely and immediately cleaned up the accident.  no harm at all.

All i can figure is that something bad must have happened, (within the past couple of years) such as a serious incident with the lights, triggering a lawsuit, perhaps, which prompted eBay to disallow the lights to be listed on its platform.

I hope this can help with a possible explanation and answer to your question

I hope this helps explain

Message 34 of 37
latest reply

it is any kind of bubble light,  ebay is citing the usps hazardous material policy which does allow a bubble light to be shipped using ground service.  read the usps policy.  as long as 1 oz of the liquid is in a sealed container, the glass vial, it is ok to ship.  but ebay does not want to hear that so i moved all mine to etsy and doing a great business over there with bubble lights.  AND the major retailers and other online platforms are shipping bubble lights and using usps as "last leg delivery" for them.  do your homework before you post here.  they are not a fire risk, they do not blow up. 

Message 35 of 37
latest reply

I know you posted this a year ago but you should repost it with the links I found them very interesting

I recently listed a set in the box and of course ebay pulled them

after 3 phone calls to ebay for an explaination I finally got a person that directed me to the community ( I probably haven't been here 5 times in 25 years)

Your post was the most helpful and ebay should send your links to each and every person who has a listing pulled

Thank you and now I will stop calling ebay over this listing

Are you talking about Bubble Lights?  That isn't water.  Bubble Lights don't get hot enough to boil water and make it bubble.  Methylene chloride used in all the old Bubble Lights and is still used by some manufacturers of them.  Methylene chloride is poisonous if inhaled, swallowed, or if it gets on your skin.

If you don't believe me, read this:

https://www.poison.org/articles/bubble-lights-the-hazards-of-nostalgia

or this:

https://www.ehow.com/info_7881325_dangers-bubble-christmas-lights.html

or dozens more like those two.

Do I think they should be banned?  Frankly, no.  The world cannot be made risk-free.  But I can imagine that eBay would ban them, nevertheless.

Message 36 of 37
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 37 of 37
latest reply