cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What in the world? Email from "Ebay Collections"

This is a first.  On one of my four selling accounts, I just got an email titled "KEEP YOUR ACCOUNT IN GOOD STANDING - PAYMENT NEEDED".

First line: 

Please pay your eBay Seller fees

My fees were, and have always been, paid in full through paypal every month.  The account in question had its fees paid on 8/15/18, right on schedule.  

And before you ask, no, I don't think it's a spoof.  The email came from collections_us@ebay.com

Yet another "improvement" apparently designed to confound the heck out of us?

Message 1 of 223
latest reply
222 REPLIES 222

That glitch sent it only to your external email and did not send it to your eBay email Messages, thus making it look like a spoof.

Well, that part is no "glitch".  Despite eBay saying emails that don't also go to Messages are phishing, eBay routinely sends emails that are not sent to eBay Messages, and they have done so for the entire 11 years I've been using this site.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 121 of 223
latest reply

brian_burke@ebay wrote:

@synplet wrote:

This is a first.  On one of my four selling accounts, I just got an email titled "KEEP YOUR ACCOUNT IN GOOD STANDING - PAYMENT NEEDED".

First line: 

Please pay your eBay Seller fees

My fees were, and have always been, paid in full through paypal every month.  The account in question had its fees paid on 8/15/18, right on schedule.  

And before you ask, no, I don't think it's a spoof.  The email came from collections_us@ebay.com

Yet another "improvement" apparently designed to confound the heck out of us?

All,

For those who received the email, I'm very sorry for any confusion this has caused.  You will receive an email tomorrow confirming the email was in error.

No action is required or needed on your part. 

Thank you for selling on eBay and again, I apologize for any inconvenience. 

Brian

Good evening Brian,

I can imagine it is somewhat embarassing for the e-mail to get out, and it is good that those who received it can ignore and need not respond to or about it.

However, it seems that some sellers also got billed - and ended up paying - a second time for the month.  If that is a fact, will they receive their money back or just a credit?

Also, some sellers reported not being able to list and that their account was blocked/locked up - just from a glitch/mistaken e-mail?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 122 of 223
latest reply

When I googled the SENDER of this email [I refused to even open the email], I found a short archived ebay thread FROM JANUARY 2016 about a [phishing?] email from them -- subject in all caps. So, it's NOT a new thing from this sender. And I don't believe it's from ebay. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Getting-Started/Received-an-email-from-collections-us-ebay-wit...

Message 123 of 223
latest reply

For those who received the email, I'm very sorry for any confusion this has caused.  You will receive an email tomorrow confirming the email was in error.

Why "tomorrow" and not right now?  Others surely have not seen it yet, will see it, and then they're either going to pay again, or call CS.  You could prevent problems and wasted time for users by dealing with this now

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 124 of 223
latest reply

They shut their phone off about 530pm PST.  Just checked still off. 

Message 125 of 223
latest reply

I received the same message on both of my accounts.
Message 126 of 223
latest reply

I wonder how many people are paying twice? Stupid Bay.
Message 127 of 223
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

Why "tomorrow" and not right now?  Others surely have not seen it yet, will see it, and then they're either going to pay again, or call CS.  You could prevent problems and wasted time for users by dealing with this now

First of all, thank you Brian for getting back to us even though it is after normal working hours for you.  This email is not directed at you but at Ebay as a whole.

That is exactly what my first thought was.  I mean I do appreciate that Brian got back to us, but why is it so unimportant to Ebay that it can just be handled tomorrow when that person gets into the office?  What about those whose accounts evidently were suspended due to this "glitch"?  Do they have to also wait until tomorrow for their accounts to work even though they did nothing wrong?  I would think this should be important enough that Ebay would have somebody get back into the office and clean it up now, not tomorrow.  But I guess since it does not impact Ebays money, who cares.  Or maybe Ebay is hoping that by waiting that many more sellers who do not know this is an Ebay issue will go ahead and pay their bill again so Ebay has use of that money for another month interest free since Ebays policy has been to apply overpayments to the Sellers Account rather than refund trying to make sure they manage to never have to return that money.

I know that July was not a great month for most from what i have read on the boards and in talking with others on Facebook, but has it impacted Ebays cash flow so negatively that Ebay needs more Sellers to double pay their invoices for July?  Does Ebay hope that by delaying this apology until tomorrow that enough money will have been double paid to get Ebay through the end of the month without having to slow pay their bills more than normal or to avoid more layoffs?

I'm sorry, but this is not how most companies who are already battling attrition from both Buyers and Sellers in record numbers due to trust issues as well as almost daily glitches would act towards their customers.  Most companies would have not only posted the response as you did but would have that letter composed and out the door at the exact same time.  

Which Corporate Executive is going to be the sacrificial lamb for this untested update leading to another glitch before it was released.  Ebay is running out of unsacrificed executives before they get to the CEO himself.  

Message 128 of 223
latest reply

Yes same here this morning - seems ebay has had another glitch. My account has been paid the same way for the last 18yrs automatically. Wonder if ebay will actually appologise for the error? Strange how the problem has been going on for at least 24hrs and its still going on this morning (all around the world).

Message 129 of 223
latest reply

@twnpopcards wrote:

@ted_200 wrote:

First of all, thank you Brian for getting back to us even though it is after normal working hours for you.  This email is not directed at you but at Ebay as a whole.

That is exactly what my first thought was.  I mean I do appreciate that Brian got back to us, but why is it so unimportant to Ebay that it can just be handled tomorrow when that person gets into the office?  What about those whose accounts evidently were suspended due to this "glitch"?  Do they have to also wait until tomorrow for their accounts to work even though they did nothing wrong?  I would think this should be important enough that Ebay would have somebody get back into the office and clean it up now, not tomorrow.  But I guess since it does not impact Ebays money, who cares.  Or maybe Ebay is hoping that by waiting that many more sellers who do not know this is an Ebay issue will go ahead and pay their bill again so Ebay has use of that money for another month interest free since Ebays policy has been to apply overpayments to the Sellers Account rather than refund trying to make sure they manage to never have to return that money.

I know that July was not a great month for most from what i have read on the boards and in talking with others on Facebook, but has it impacted Ebays cash flow so negatively that Ebay needs more Sellers to double pay their invoices for July?  Does Ebay hope that by delaying this apology until tomorrow that enough money will have been double paid to get Ebay through the end of the month without having to slow pay their bills more than normal or to avoid more layoffs?

I'm sorry, but this is not how most companies who are already battling attrition from both Buyers and Sellers in record numbers due to trust issues as well as almost daily glitches would act towards their customers.  Most companies would have not only posted the response as you did but would have that letter composed and out the door at the exact same time.  

Which Corporate Executive is going to be the sacrificial lamb for this untested update leading to another glitch before it was released.  Ebay is running out of unsacrificed executives before they get to the CEO himself.  

Just Got off the phone with a ebay billing fee supervisor  at around  9:55PM  . I found out about  the  selling hold  I  Got  was over $5.00  payment I did on 8/14  , Which Gave me 0  seller fee's do.   I  did paypal balance  payment  which went into  ebay's paypal account .The rep said  their back didn't count payment in  until 8/16  .  I never had this happen in 19 years paying fee's off on the 14th  of month over the years . Rep is calling it glitch  which will be removed in 24 hours . I have very  small amount on my current  invoice to pay off . So I may go ahead and pay off ahead of hold removel.   I will say this  I got the feeling there  are  other issues going on.  

Message 130 of 223
latest reply

Ok, I'm #130 with this same email and account in good standing.... Well except for the lack of sale and increasing % ebay now takes. Smiley Frustrated 

Message 131 of 223
latest reply

@beadingfx wrote:

They shut their phone off about 530pm PST.  Just checked still off. 

What a poor response cutting phones off and other lines of communication. They should have updated the call tree with "If you have received an email from eBay collections, you may have received this message in error. EBay will be issuing further communications concerning this issueivia emailI, within the next 24 hours. If you are experiencing an account restriction after receiving this email, please stay on the line..." with similar instruction posted to the site contact page.

Message 132 of 223
latest reply

@twnpopcards wrote:

@ted_200 wrote:

Well stated. I would like to know why nobody executing the procedure for bulk emails noticed that for some odd reason, this months list had 10 million emails in it instead of the typical 100k users (or whatever those normal numbers actually are). It seems there would have been multiple red flags indicating something was wrong before pushing the send button.

Message 133 of 223
latest reply

That would imply they care.
Message 134 of 223
latest reply

Probably not an error. But done intentionally.

I was thinking it is a way for ebay to raise this mothns revenues,

given this summer has been especially bad.

And then I read this on ecommerebytes, which confirms my thinking

"historically when sellers overpay their accounts, eBay keeps the money and applies it to the next month's invoice rather than refunding it. "Can you imagine the potential investment income on all this overpaid fees if even 25% of the sellers send in the money a second time," he asked."

Message 135 of 223
latest reply