cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What in the world? Email from "Ebay Collections"

This is a first.  On one of my four selling accounts, I just got an email titled "KEEP YOUR ACCOUNT IN GOOD STANDING - PAYMENT NEEDED".

First line: 

Please pay your eBay Seller fees

My fees were, and have always been, paid in full through paypal every month.  The account in question had its fees paid on 8/15/18, right on schedule.  

And before you ask, no, I don't think it's a spoof.  The email came from collections_us@ebay.com

Yet another "improvement" apparently designed to confound the heck out of us?

Message 1 of 223
latest reply
222 REPLIES 222

Re: What in the world? Email from "Ebay Collections"

Same thing happened to me. My account is in good standing, as always, and I got the email, too.

Message 46 of 223
latest reply

Yup got the same thing today also ....says I need to pay up for Julys fee's .....which paypal shows as paid ......funny I look in my ebay received emails and no indication of the email . but I received it in my G-mail account ....Paypal shows it paid so , I am going to say it is a very good fishing attempt to get my password . So I am going to ignore it ....what is getting me on this is they had the exact amount I paid as listed as owed ! ....Ebay bug bomb !
Message 47 of 223
latest reply

I got the same email at 5:38 pm and forwarded it to spoof@ebay. All caps in subject sounded pretty "urgent" to me, and the links to update payment method was a red flag too. Will be interesting to see if this was a glitch or phishing email, but since it didn't appear in my messages it appears to be the latter...

Message 48 of 223
latest reply

It is not strange at all. The EBAY Seller database has been hacked. Everyone, including me, is getting one of these messages. They are phishing emails.

What is deeply disturbing is that the message contains my full name, account name and balance info. Did yours also contain this? This is what indicates that EBAY HAS BEEN HACKED.

Also, the EBAY Call center line is jammed up. I wanted 25 minutes with no answer.
Message 49 of 223
latest reply

It is not strange at all. The EBAY Seller database has been hacked. Everyone, including me, is getting one of these messages. They are phishing emails.

What is deeply disturbing is that the message contains my full name, account name and balance info. Did yours also contain this? This is what indicates that EBAY HAS BEEN HACKED.

Also, the EBAY Call center line is jammed up. I wanted 25 minutes with no answer.

Message 50 of 223
latest reply

Received the same message... also have autopay.. confired in eBay and PayPal that it was paid 5 days ago.. 

Message 51 of 223
latest reply

@tjglobalproducts wrote:

If this were from eBay it would appear in your eBay Messages in your eBay account when you log it.  If it only came to your regular email and is not in your eBay Messages when you log it, it is fake.

This is a phishing email.  Of course it looks real - that's how phising works.  🙂  I recommend you Forward the email to spoof@ebay.com, change your email, PayPal, and eBay passwords, scan your pc for viruses, and stop complaining about eBay.  😉  

How is this a phishing email?

First, a big concern would be how they have the exact amount that was owed.

Second, EVERY link in the email actually links to eBay's domain. 

Third, the return address has ebay.com as the domain.

Fourth, you can actually use the view in browser option which means that the message exists in their system.

The ONLY odd part is that it doesn't show in messages on the site (guessing someone already went in and deleted them from everyone's account).

Not a great phishing scam, huh?

Oh, and this sort of thing is actually part of my job.  Has been for more than 20 years.  It's not a phishing attempt.  Probably just a glitch.

Message 52 of 223
latest reply

What happens if I don't pay my fees?

Your buying and selling privileges will be limited and/or restricted, as well as your ability to communicate with other members through eBay messages. We will continue to assess a 1.5% late charge to your past due balance. Your account may be sent to a collection agency for the balance owed.

Upon re-reading the e-mail, this really caught my eye. THIS is what we need to watch out for. I could completely see them sneaking "late charges" into our next invoices. My suspicious mind's initial thought was that they are probably hoping for inexperirenced sellers to immediately go pay the amount demanded. They probably are, but we need to watch out for bogus "late charges" as well. Ebay glitches are notorious for causing money to flow from sellers' pockets to ebay's accounts.

Message 53 of 223
latest reply

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Our developers are aware of these emails and are currently looking into the matter. I'll update this thread when I have more information. Thanks!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 54 of 223
latest reply

Just got the same thing but only on one of my IDs which pays on the 15th so far.

Both PP & ebay show it as paid.

ebay really needs to get it's house in order before they attempt to start handling our payments.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 55 of 223
latest reply

Somehow, I wonder if this isn't a part of the preperatioin for the ebay intermediation change-over where PayPal won't be acceptable for paying monthly fees and one and all will have to register a credit card or payment method (bank or whatever) with ebay for the change to the Adyen payment processor?

Yes, Wednesday should be interesting.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 56 of 223
latest reply

Fortunately, I was one that did NOT get that email.  Could this have something to do with the automatic payment method?  I have my ebay seller fees billing set up using my credit card...not PayPal.  After reading many of the responses, a lot of users appear to be using automatic bill pay through PayPal.
Message 57 of 223
latest reply

Add me to the list of **bleep** off sellers who wasted their time on this mistaken email.  They really made a huge mistake this time -- you'd think they'd head it off by sending out a follow-up email apologizing for the mixup.  I can't even call them because there's a 36 minute wait time to speak to an agent.  I'd be willing to bet there are untild thousands of sellers going through the same deal right now.

Message 58 of 223
latest reply

Just got this crazy email too.  Immediately thought it was a scam as my automatic deduction payment was processed on 08/16/18.  Tried to call ebay, been on hold for 54 minutes now, still holding.  I guess everyone is calling ebay with the same issue. 

Message 59 of 223
latest reply

I also got the email. Now I cant post becuase I have a balance for for Aug. Is anyone having the same problem?

Message 60 of 223
latest reply