cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What a surprise, eBay rewards another dopey buyer

We sold an item and a week later the buyer opens a return, saying it is defective or doesn't work. It was a supplement and she said "I just read about this and now I think it may be harmful". I wrote back and said I considered this a remorse return, since she hadn't even opened it yet and didn't research it before buying. She was told she could return it on her own and receive a partial refund. No response. Today when I got the "your buyer is still waiting" message from eBay I called them. The person from the overseas call center put me on hold and came back and said eBay will just refund her and you don't have to worry. Why refund her? She admitted she didn't read anything about it until AFTER she bought it! No wonder people keep coming to eBay, so many ways to get a free item. At least this one WASN'T on me!

Message 1 of 98
latest reply
97 REPLIES 97

Re: What a surprise, eBay rewards another dopey buyer

Oh and as for we have lurkers here...id find the chances of the buyer seeing this about as high of chances of the customer service in the store talking about the buyer on a different day after it happened and the buyer happens to be in there and over hear.  Basically a low chance 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 31 of 98
latest reply

a

@aruyt75 wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

Have you ever bought something from say CVS and upon closer inspection at home realized it could make you sick or might not be a good idea for you to take.

Well, then you return it to the store.  It happens.  We all miss things.  It is called customer service.  Not you bought it, tough.

Ridiculous analogy, and not at all comparable to the vast majority of sellers on eBay.  Clearly, buyers are learning from Amazon, returns are not free unless you choose "defective/does not work", which is the exact same language Amazon uses.  So to get your free return, just choose that, even though the OP's buyer clearly stated it was not for a "defective" item.  I recently got one of those buyers, they chose "defective" even though the item I sold cannot be "defective" (mineral specimen), and the reason stated was not for being "defective".  It was 10 bucks, so I just let them have it for free and refunded, but please stop defending these kinds of clear remorse returns that are free simply because the buyer chooses the only option that is free.  

I am not defending the scammers any more than you criticize the legitimate returns.

And the latter should not suffer because of the former.

Message 32 of 98
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

Oh and as for we have lurkers here...id find the chances of the buyer seeing this about as high of chances of the customer service in the store talking about the buyer on a different day after it happened and the buyer happens to be in there and over hear.  Basically a low chance 

Buyers in general are getting a feel of how sellers feel for them.

Believe me, that message is getting around.

Message 33 of 98
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

@keziak wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

The stores I deal with do not even ask why you are returning an item.

Don't like it, don't want it.

And yes, the online stores I deal with do free returns.

And they do not refer to me, at least to my face, as dopey, either.

I am willing to pay a bit more for good customer service.

On Amazon the customer requests a return, states "inaccurate website description" or "no longer wanted/needed", and gets a free prepaid (by seller) return label.  If the book returns to the seller and he doesn't jump right on it, the customer gets a full refund out of the seller's account. 

So when people think of online shopping that may be the model they are expecting.

Ive done a lot of shopping on Amazon    I see sometimes promotions that have free returns particularly on clothes or shoes.  However it's not always and the few times I've requested a return for remorse I've had to pay return shipping and that includes an order of shoes  that was $10 to send back 

Amazon has  started  to boot buyers off for to many remorse returns.  Ebay should do the same thing.    Also keep in mined that On ebay you aren't  buying  from  retailers, which  most are on amazon. 

Message 34 of 98
latest reply

@lewisburggold

Don't know why this keeps coming up but the buyer would not have gotten the item for free if the seller would have did the right thing on the snad case. Ebay gave the buyer the item so the seller was out nothing.

Message 35 of 98
latest reply

And isn't ebay removing buyer protection for those types of buyers as well.

Message 36 of 98
latest reply

I have been selling on eBay since 2000.  I am thinking of closing my account because of this very thing.    eBay has gone so down hill over the years.  And frankly, I think Amazon plays a huge role in this.   Other companies think they have to give the store away so as to keep up with Amazon.  Amazon is having a very bad effect on our society.

Message 37 of 98
latest reply

I'm with you on that.

Message 38 of 98
latest reply

However not all sellers can absorb free shipping and free 30 day returns. Being that sellers clearly state return policies within their listings, and money back guarantee is for receiving what you didn’t order, not for not thinking or reading prior to purchase, it’s not the sellers responsibility unless they offer free returns. Often sellers can price better when not offering free returns and cannot do so if offering “free shipping” since neither is free to the seller ..and sellers need to pass off to the buyers universally, the ones that do read and think prior to purchasing.
Message 39 of 98
latest reply

What caused that in my opinion is social media.

Stores are so afraid of bad publicity that they cave.

Message 40 of 98
latest reply

harmful is subjective..the plastic polymailer is harmful, may cause suffocation
Message 41 of 98
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@lewisburggold

Don't know why this keeps coming up but the buyer would not have gotten the item for free if the seller would have did the right thing on the snad case. Ebay gave the buyer the item so the seller was out nothing.

Exactly it wasn't a SNAD issue.  The seller offered a refund if the buyer paid shipping.  That's reasonable on a remorse return.   

One place I worked at the manager would always just give the buyers what they wanted drove me insane.  Then they just came back and continued to cause trouble.    They'd tell workers you have to follow these rules on returns when we held to those rules and customers got upset manager comes over and just gives them what they want.  Makes us look bad and him good.  Didn't bother the manager they didn't have to deal with them all the time.   But the next time that customer came they expected the same deal as before because the manager did it before.  It's not worth the trouble they cause 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 42 of 98
latest reply

maybe the buyer didn’t think the item was harmful and never intended on returning. I had 3 returns in a row I accepted and the buyer didn’t return.
Message 43 of 98
latest reply

better watch out what you say about buyers,you will be like me,eBay stop me from selling ,i thank i email the wrong person talking about buyers,but i don't care eBay can have their site,but they still favor the buyers 100%,when you refund for a few item that work fine and eBay takes the buyer word over your and don't have a clue about the item,but you have got to refund them anyway,is not right,they re not fair i know.If you have the item and eBay has never seen it ,who should know if it works or not,Ebay i can't wait to write on every social madia i can and tell how i was treated,FB,LOOK OUT HERE I COME,you are not fair to seller and what does no return mean,i will tell you nothing,if it is bad refund,if not they bought it,eBay thanks for saving me money,and you are welcome for that $1000.00 worth of listing one month,that is true to.

Message 44 of 98
latest reply

I work retail every Christmas season and the last thing floor manager want their shopping customers to hear is disgrunted customers.

So we were told that if they persist to just give in.

Message 45 of 98
latest reply