cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Markdown manager skips items because of automatic relisting

I just noticed today that many of my items were not included in my promotion. There was an error message that IDs didn't match. I called and was told that since these listings were automatically renewed every 30 days they couldn't be included in the markdowns for the first 14 days. I understand the concept of not allowing sales on items that were marked down within the past 14 days. I can't understand how an item that has been listed consistently for the same price and is listed as "good until canceled" would not be in my promotion. Please help me to understand why this is a new policy.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

complete DISASTER is what this is me and alot of other sellers have been posting about this nonsense 14 day rule we have more than 5000 items in active and many of them are on 30 Days and Auto relist if the items don't sell but now with this nonsense it's considered as a new item and we can't put it on SALE 

Ebay wake up please it's the same items i had in active for a month or two or more that did not sell they are simply being relisted but can't be on SALE ...

ebay what is your problem people love and want to buy stuff ON SALE 

it's our Money it's our merchandise it's our inventory we should decide what  and when we want to run a Sale NOT EBAY WHAT A JOKE 

fix this mess and fix it NOW our sales are down by 60% or more

put back the mark down manager the way it was 

all hard working sellers please keep posting keep calling and keep complaing maybe just maybe someone at ebay with some basic experience about retail and running a business  will understand

Thanks for reading

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I had read that eBay had made a change to that rule so that gtc listings did qualify for markdown manager even though the listing had just renewed.  I’m not sure why it isn’t working that way for you.  Has the regular price of those listings been changed recently?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

When did you read this? When I spoke to the customer service rep she said that they will only be included in the sale after 14 days of being relisted so it will be just for two weeks before they relist again and start the 14 day waiting period. I hope this has been changed.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Worked for my store, the last 2 Mondays. 

Though , The first Monday, I had to go back in and run another sale event to catch ~170 items that it missed on the 1st try.

This week the sale event caught everything that had not had a price change.  Looked good for 1100+ listings.  All were GTC and I have about 40 that roll over most days. 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

That is great to hear! I'll check my promotion on Monday.

@calntom wrote:

Worked for my store, the last 2 Mondays. 

Though , The first Monday, I had to go back in and run another sale event to catch ~170 items that it missed on the 1st try.

This week the sale event caught everything that had not had a price change.  Looked good for 1100+ listings.  All were GTC and I have about 40 that roll over most days. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Are your items listed as GTC or are the listed as 30 day fixed listings with auto-relist? 

GTC have to wait 14 days for the first sale, but can be put on sale again at any point as long as you don't change the listing (eBay says change price, but multiple posters state that it's any change).  The GTC "relist" doesn't reset the 14 day clock.

If you are using 30 day fixed BIN listings with auto-relist you currently have to wait the 14 days each time the item relists.  I agree this is ridiculous, but that's the current rule.  

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

When I spoke to the customer service rep she said my GTC listings are considered new listings when they are relisted and the 14 days start over again. That is what is bothering me but it seems that it may not occur again. If the promotion works on Monday I will be okay. It also seems to only be affecting one category and not my larger one so I will just keep my fingers crossed!  Thank you for your help.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

brian@ebay  Another CS agent that needs some "coaching".   

Per other discussions with your team, GTC items don't "reset" the 14 day clock when they renew, CS agents should not be telling sellers that they do.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I chatted with eBay customer service about this 14 day rule a couple of days ago.   They indicated that almost any change in the listing description for an item is considered a price change.   So you aren't allowed to put an item on sale using Markdown Manager if you've made nearly any changes in the listing description  in the 14 day period before you're attempting the price markdown.   That's why, even though you haven't changed the price, it still shows as skipped price.

I have 35 years experience in marketing and a degree from a Big 10 university.   I agree with those of you that feel this 14 day rule makes no sense.   It doesn't.   It will cost both sellers and eBay sales.   Hopefully, eBay decision makers will wise up and get rid of the rule before it costs everyone too much.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply