cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What a surprise, eBay rewards another dopey buyer

We sold an item and a week later the buyer opens a return, saying it is defective or doesn't work. It was a supplement and she said "I just read about this and now I think it may be harmful". I wrote back and said I considered this a remorse return, since she hadn't even opened it yet and didn't research it before buying. She was told she could return it on her own and receive a partial refund. No response. Today when I got the "your buyer is still waiting" message from eBay I called them. The person from the overseas call center put me on hold and came back and said eBay will just refund her and you don't have to worry. Why refund her? She admitted she didn't read anything about it until AFTER she bought it! No wonder people keep coming to eBay, so many ways to get a free item. At least this one WASN'T on me!

Message 1 of 98
latest reply
97 REPLIES 97

On Amazon I have paid return shipping when item was as described but my butt was too small for seat cushion..i paid $6 to return the item as a Prime member and was fine doing so. Amazon typically is more expensive than ebay for items, like I buy printer ink on ebay for $20 less per cartridge, but not for long...maybe the printer ink will stay as is, I think it could have “fallen off a truck” 😉
Message 46 of 98
latest reply

I buy on Amazon a lot, about 100 orders this year, and returned 3, 1 remorse, 2 broken. I paid to ship back remorse item. But a 3% return rate, that I could deal with here..but it’s higher here. So that’s why Im closing
Message 47 of 98
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

What caused that in my opinion is social media.

Stores are so afraid of bad publicity that they cave.

No way can they  cave anymore  to retail buyer fraud.

Message 48 of 98
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

What caused that in my opinion is social media.

Stores are so afraid of bad publicity that they cave.

No way can they  cave anymore  to retail buyer fraud, based on billions of  dollars lost to  scam buyers

Message 49 of 98
latest reply

most retailers with extremely liberal return policies have or will be changing them. ebay is several years behind on the learning curve
Message 50 of 98
latest reply

It's easy to offer Free Returns when someone else's 401k is funding all your debt.   

Message 51 of 98
latest reply

also Amazon does not promote haggling on their platform, the price is what it is. They have 49% matketshare, i think? vs ebay’s 6%..so probably makes sense to price higher there since stuff sells there and they have worked out many of the kinks ebay is in the midst of trying to be them
Message 52 of 98
latest reply

I'm sorry, but you posting this here doesn't help. It only encourages other buyers to do the same.
Message 53 of 98
latest reply

@larralbritto_0 wrote:

better watch out what you say about buyers,you will be like me,eBay stop me from selling ,i thank i email the wrong person talking about buyers,but i don't care eBay can have their site,but they still favor the buyers 100%,when you refund for a few item that work fine and eBay takes the buyer word over your and don't have a clue about the item,but you have got to refund them anyway,is not right,they re not fair i know.If you have the item and eBay has never seen it ,who should know if it works or not,Ebay i can't wait to write on every social madia i can and tell how i was treated,FB,LOOK OUT HERE I COME,you are not fair to seller and what does no return mean,i will tell you nothing,if it is bad refund,if not they bought it,eBay thanks for saving me money,and you are welcome for that $1000.00 worth of listing one month,that is true to.

If eBay restricted you from selling....it has nothing to do what you said to buyers.....it probably has something to do with what you are selling...or were selling....

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 54 of 98
latest reply

Then continue to shop there, i wonder if someone else made a mistake you would be willing to cover the cost ??
Message 55 of 98
latest reply

Is it actually harmful?  I ask this not because I believe your buyer is in the right but because we live in a world now where if she ends up using it and it ends up being harmful, the price to refund will be the least of your worries. 

People should research before they buy. But they don't. There's several people on this board who wouldn't research regardless of it being the right thing because they just don't feel they should have to. That's the world we live in. Now you have to incorporate people who don't or won't into your selling. Perhaps put "this could potentially kill you" into your supplement listing ... at least you'll know when you have a buyer, it's a buyer who will stick.

Message 56 of 98
latest reply

I will say this, certain sellers place blame on the buyer because of some so-called reason that looks good in print... Fact is sellers rarely know the story, fewer still know the truth, they think it's remorse or they think it's a scam because they come here and it's one thread after the next about that so they read a few and see what they wanted to see and so they jump to their own conclusions.

I won't say that it is wrong, although I feel that it is the simple fact is that it doesn't matter.

Yes, you read that right, it does not matter in a return who is right and who is wrong.

Here is the only thing that truly matters in a return:

The BEST "winning" chance a seller stands is by accepting / approving the return without a fight.

Do NOT fight your buyer, it is not good for our future as sellers.

Anytime a buyer has an issue with an item and they wish to return it, simply reply:

Dear Buyer,

I am so sorry you are unhappy with your purchase, please return the item for a full refund.

Thank you,

Seller

That there is your best winning chance as a seller.

One could even say you will kill them with kindness laughing

I could go on but I'm going to leave it at that.

One more time...

Don't fight your buyer, it is not good for our future as sellers.

Message 57 of 98
latest reply

No, I read labels at the store BEFORE I buy something instead of taking it home and then researching it
Message 58 of 98
latest reply

It is an herbal supplement my wife used to take and no longer needs. Everything from the bottle was copied onto the listing, including the "always discuss supplements you intend to take with your health care professional".  She just heard the latest buzz and thought she would buy it without looking up any possible side affects

@mountainmommie wrote:

Is it actually harmful?  I ask this not because I believe your buyer is in the right but because we live in a world now where if she ends up using it and it ends up being harmful, the price to refund will be the least of your worries. 

People should research before they buy. But they don't. There's several people on this board who wouldn't research regardless of it being the right thing because they just don't feel they should have to. That's the world we live in. Now you have to incorporate people who don't or won't into your selling. Perhaps put "this could potentially kill you" into your supplement listing ... at least you'll know when you have a buyer, it's a buyer who will stick.

Message 59 of 98
latest reply

@herecometheplayas wrote:
No, I read labels at the store BEFORE I buy something instead of taking it home and then researching it

@herecometheplayas wrote:

Yup you have the item in hand.

More difficult to do on a monitor.

Message 60 of 98
latest reply