cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What a surprise, eBay rewards another dopey buyer

We sold an item and a week later the buyer opens a return, saying it is defective or doesn't work. It was a supplement and she said "I just read about this and now I think it may be harmful". I wrote back and said I considered this a remorse return, since she hadn't even opened it yet and didn't research it before buying. She was told she could return it on her own and receive a partial refund. No response. Today when I got the "your buyer is still waiting" message from eBay I called them. The person from the overseas call center put me on hold and came back and said eBay will just refund her and you don't have to worry. Why refund her? She admitted she didn't read anything about it until AFTER she bought it! No wonder people keep coming to eBay, so many ways to get a free item. At least this one WASN'T on me!

Message 1 of 98
latest reply
97 REPLIES 97

Re: What a surprise, eBay rewards another dopey buyer

I have said manny times that people should be accountable for the consequences of their actions, if someone comes in to save them from those consequences, that also creates an expectation, a feeling of entitlement to be saved again the next time.

EBay providing a refund to this buyer was unwarranted, without merit. 

Message 2 of 98
latest reply

Have you ever bought something from say CVS and upon closer inspection at home realized it could make you sick or might not be a good idea for you to take.

Well, then you return it to the store.  It happens.  We all miss things.  It is called customer service.  Not you bought it, tough.

Message 3 of 98
latest reply

I don't agree with your analogy of an individual eBay seller vs. CVS. There is no similarity between the two enterprises other than both use US Dollars.

In 2017 CVS has sales of 184,765 Millions of dollars.  That suggests there might  be a little something in there for refunds.

In terms of percentage of annual sales,  CVS's refunds may be expressed in hundredths or thousandths of a percent of annual sales. And they get the product back without paying return shipping.

For an individual on eBay, one refund could represent  50 or more percent of annual sales and as we see weekly, many buyers get to keep the merchandise.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 4 of 98
latest reply

I am looking at it from a buyer's point of view.

What is the difference to them if they hand $10 to CVS or email $10 to you.

They do not cae if you are big or small, they do not want to waste that $10 on something they just made a mistake on.

And that is why I never understood the concept of people buying new items here when they can just go to a B&M store.  It is cheaper, there are coupons and incentives, and there is a money back guarantee.  And many stores now deliver right to your door.

Message 5 of 98
latest reply

Exactly why are you selling harmful products?
Message 6 of 98
latest reply

My take on it is that they are going to refund her because you didn't formally accept the return & pay for return shipping.

Its possible they meant they'd give her a courtesy refund but.....you didn't accept an snad return, ebay doesn't close snads in the sellers favor even when its clearly remorse....so i think the agent meant they will close the request in her favor and take the refund from your pocket & let her keep the item.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 7 of 98
latest reply

Why refund her? She admitted she didn't read anything about it until AFTER she bought it!

eBay did what they expected you to do - take care of your customer without hassle.

No wonder people keep coming to eBay

It's amazing how many sellers see this as a problem....  laughing

Message 8 of 98
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

And that is why I never understood the concept of people buying new items here when they can just go to a B&M store.  It is cheaper, there are coupons and incentives, and there is a money back guarantee.  And many stores now deliver right to your door.

For one reason, not everyone can just go to a B&M store.  And home delivery is not available in many areas.

It's not cheaper if the store is 100 miles away.  Or more.

Message 9 of 98
latest reply

My daugher is moving to a very small town in Washington State.

And no many do not deliver to her zip code.

But if you look very closely you can find the one who will.

As an example - All theb ig markets like Walmart and Safeway won't.  But we found an IGA that will. 

For furniture - there are stores like Ashley that will deliver anywhere.

There are national stores out there, you just have to look.

Message 10 of 98
latest reply

Yay ebay you go guys.  Whoooooohoooooo  free stuff.  Best regards

Message 11 of 98
latest reply

It's called knowing what you are buying, reading the description, what's on the label, buyer didn't read description ( Really ) Pay for the return, mistakes cost money, buyer should pay, simple, customer service does not mean covering the cost for your mistake.
Message 12 of 98
latest reply

When a buyer makes a mistake same as anyone else take the responsibility, whether you are a multi billion dollar company or a 1 person business, no one is responsible for someone else's mistake.
Message 13 of 98
latest reply

wow. this is why Buyers act as they do. as spoiled brats!
at least you didn't lose money.
Message 14 of 98
latest reply

Maybe ebay refunded her because they wanted to keep her as an eBay buyer. Many are leaving this site because of problems with getting the items they paid for. She believes the product is harmful. She found this out after she bought it from you. She asked to return it. You said no. eBay may have been concerned that she would not buy on the site because of the way this transaction was handled, so they refunded her. Maybe because of this she will continue to buy on eBay.

Message 15 of 98
latest reply