cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates to how you sell to German customers on eBay

THis is an easy fix--I'm not selling to Germany anymore. I'm tired of government bureaucracy that costs me time and money. I won't sell to Germany any more. No problem for me, less hassle and paperwork. Thanks.

Message 1 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

Re: Updates to how you sell to German customers on eBay

@dhbookds wrote:

velvet@ebay 

Weekly Chat post updated that you referenced above. Thanks!

Needs to be a general announcement of where to get the stuff you need to prove compliance......tho I'm still confused of what kind of packaging is required/restricted.........

@valueaddedresource 

thanks for the followup

Hi @dhbookds! There is a help page I found here that has steps and a link to register. There is also a section on the types of packaging required to be licensed. 

@valueaddedresource I've reached out to get more info about GSP and this new requirement per dhbookds post above. I'll follow-up with you all here when I have news to share about that. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 31 of 89
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

velvet@ebay 

Weekly Chat post updated that you referenced above. Thanks!

Needs to be a general announcement of where to get the stuff you need to prove compliance......tho I'm still confused of what kind of packaging is required/restricted.........

@valueaddedresource 

thanks for the followup

@dhbookds  just to see what this might be all about I checked out the calculator provided by Lizenzero, not sure how helpful it will be but it may at least give you an idea of what types of materials are affected.  It looks like it applies both to packing/shipping material *and* product packaging material as well.

https://www.lizenzero.de/en/packaging-volume-calculator/ 

2022-04-07_15-52-37.jpg

Message 32 of 89
latest reply

lol, I tried to read the requirements.......I'm going with what the first guy in the thread said..........THis is an easy fix--I'm not selling to Germany ..............too complicated for me......but have to admit I don't sell overseas anyway......

Going to be a real mess if Ebay doesn't get instructions up for sellers.......how can an on line seller predict "Estimated total weight of packaging you will place on the German market in the respective license year"?  (in Kg, lol).....

Message 33 of 89
latest reply

@heckofagame wrote:

The EU changed the VAT rules last summer and sales from Europe dropped sharply after that. 

The VAT issue is a big one especially for low value shipments (<22 Euro)  that in the past could enter free of VAT.

Before that it was the STEEP increases in USPS International rates over the past 10 years.

I am starting to see the return of Euro buyers, I think they are getting used to the fact that there is no escaping VAT anymore no matter what the value.

Message 34 of 89
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

lol, I tried to read the requirements.......I'm going with what the first guy in the thread said..........THis is an easy fix--I'm not selling to Germany ..............too complicated for me......but have to admit I don't sell overseas anyway......

Going to be a real mess if Ebay doesn't get instructions up for sellers.......how can an on line seller predict "Estimated total weight of packaging you will place on the German market in the respective license year"?  (in Kg, lol).....

@dhbookds  you said it! I expect many sellers will simply decide it's not worth the trouble, especially if eBay doesn't provide some *very* in depth how to's and informational material about this.

What really gets me is apparently these regulations have been in effect since 2019 with an amendment that caused these changes passed in July 2021 and gave a one year "grace period" for transition....the fact that eBay is just now making an announcement about it is disappointing but not surprising.

Message 35 of 89
latest reply

I could be wrong.........as I don't (as we all know) always read things correctly...........but looks like they did an update to the rules 3/28/2022  that suddenly included electronic marketplaces.....

https://www.verpackungsregister.org/en/information-orientation/news-press/press-releases-news/detail...

so it may be as much of a surprise to Ebay as it is to us.......

Message 36 of 89
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

I could be wrong.........as I don't (as we all know) always read things correctly...........but looks like they did an update to the rules 3/28/2022  that suddenly included electronic marketplaces.....

https://www.verpackungsregister.org/en/information-orientation/news-press/press-releases-news/detail...

so it may be as much of a surprise to Ebay as it is to us.......

@dhbookds ah good catch! I'll cut them some slack for now then. 😂 

Message 37 of 89
latest reply

I guess that I am going to continue to sell to people in Germany until June 30.  They are great customers...

Message 38 of 89
latest reply

Firstly, you’ll need to provide the Central Agency Packaging Register with:
  • Your company name, address and contact details
  • Your VAT / Tax ID
  • A declaration that your packaging is licensed with a dual system   

What in the world does this mean?  A declaration that your packaging is licensed with a dual system

Is this for sellers who produce their own goods or is this for any seller that sells anything?

If it is for all sellers then if we ship through ebay standard does this still apply?

Message 39 of 89
latest reply

Hi @dhbookds and @valueaddedresource! I've heard back about the GSP question and they've said:

If you use GSP and ship items to the German market you should register with the authorities (LUCID Register). You can get help from our partner Lizenzero.

https://lucid.verpackungsregister.org/

https://www.lizenzero.de/en/ebay

Velvet,
eBay
Message 40 of 89
latest reply

Just posting in general to this thread.  Please, if you know, tell me what I have wrong here with my understanding of this policy so far. 

You, as a retailer (eBay seller) have to:

Register and pay money for a license  just in case you get a buyer from Germany.  This is required if you sell/ship directly or use the GSP.  

Provide in advance some sort of packaging information just in case you get a buyer from Germany who may purchase an antique photo, or may purchase a brand new laptop. 

This has nothing to do with VAT paid by the recipient. 

Question: 

Must an eBay seller who elects NOT to register/pay (not ship to Germany)  be required to cancel a sale made by a German buyer who elects to use a freight forwarder in the US? 

Message 41 of 89
latest reply

Do we have to register with a recycling company, like Reclay too?

Message 42 of 89
latest reply

So what are the implications for the German buyers utilizing freight forwarders with a US address? Given the GSP is nothing more than eBay's freight forwarder does the same guidance apply for sellers and freight forwarders? How does this impact the MBG with regards to buyer and seller protections? Is eBay still going to insist that if a German buyer utilizes a freight forwarder that you cannot simply cancel the order due to a problem with the buyers address?

Message 43 of 89
latest reply

As seller, it would be nice to know when we can expect to receive further information from eBay, if and when we are forced to sign up to  +_ 25 European countries that have or will add recycling fees, for sales to the European Union.

Message 44 of 89
latest reply

As seller, it would be nice to know when we can expect ..

@apmtrade 

The question was brought up in the last "Weekly Discussion with eBay staff".  Message 35 says there is no news,  Message 36 gives links to previous discussions.  

Since implementation begins at the beginning of July, one could expect some new news before then.  Since there is a "fee" to register,  this should be interesting.  One can certainly elect to NOT ship to Germany anymore, but that leaves open the issue of the use of a "Freight Forwarder", and the subsequent implications for a seller.  Those rules need to be addressed by eBay, and soon.  

I would expect, if sellers simply refuse to sign up and pay up, buyers are going to give the freight forwarder programs a try.  Freight forwarders are indeed US addresses.  So is the address for the GSP, but eBay is saying you have to sign up if you ship to Germany via the GSP.  eBay does not consider the GSP to be a freight forwarder with the related rules that apply to same. 

Message 45 of 89
latest reply