cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates to how you sell to German customers on eBay

THis is an easy fix--I'm not selling to Germany anymore. I'm tired of government bureaucracy that costs me time and money. I won't sell to Germany any more. No problem for me, less hassle and paperwork. Thanks.

Message 1 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

Re: Updates to how you sell to German customers on eBay

That might not prevent using a reship service and still getting a charge for payment conversion fee. 

Message 16 of 89
latest reply

The German Packaging Act is requiring paid registration for all Business sellers who ship any sort of packaged item  to Germany. That is for  shipping material AND "sales packaging" .  If you sell toothpaste to Germany, that includes the actual tube, the factory box containing the tube, and the outer package that the shipping label is attached to. It's all packaging, and requires you to register  for a MINIMUM 39 euro fee. This appears to be an annual fee, and is based on the weight of how much the packaging material weighs and whether it is paper,plastic, metal,etc.  No exceptions for recycled or recyclable materiel either.

Unless you sell and ship, say, unpackaged "bare tombstones" to Germany with engraved adress labels instead of engraved R.I.P. you will be required  to register.  This is being passed off as some sort of environmental protection solution.  I suppose Germans litter, but only when it was  something  shipped to them from another country.   

Message 17 of 89
latest reply

jasmen@ebay  - tagging your here because the chat is closed and this thread is already on the topic, so I didn't want to start a new one.

Your response to a question about these regulations for packaging was:

" this will only impact shipments coming from Germany"

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Discussion-with-eBay/Community-Chat-April-6-1-00-pm-PT-General-...

However, the announcement on the eBayUK forum very explicitly says:

There are important  requirements for your listings if you sell goods to German customers on eBay. (emphasis mine)

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Announcements/Packaging-regulations-for-sellers-on-eBay-in-Germany/b...

Please double check to make sure the answer you gave to @clarkphilatelics was correct.

Message 18 of 89
latest reply

So we have two slightly different messages coming out about EPR.

Ebay USA : Capture.JPG

Ebay UK: Capture1.JPG

Which is correct. Does this only apply to sellers "on Ebay in Germany" or all sellers who export to Germany.

Second question: Does this apply to sellers of used goods? I only sell "used" photos and postcards for the most part to Germany. Last year it was 20 packages for about $481. Excluding used photo or postcard it amounts to paper 42 ounces and plastic 18 ounces. I made a assumption it was .001 on their tool which was the minimum of 39 Euros or about $42.50 at the current exchange rate.

Ebay's message leaves a lot of ambiguity in it.

Peace, Duane Bass

(1st Armored Division 1971 - 73)

Message 19 of 89
latest reply

I had a problem once with a buyer in North Dakota.

I wont sell to North Dakota any more.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 20 of 89
latest reply

@nky-photos wrote:

So we have two slightly different messages coming out about EPR.

Ebay USA : Capture.JPG

Ebay UK: Capture1.JPG

Which is correct. Does this only apply to sellers "on Ebay in Germany" or all sellers who export to Germany.

Second question: Does this apply to sellers of used goods? I only sell "used" photos and postcards for the most part to Germany. Last year it was 20 packages for about $481. Excluding used photo or postcard it amounts to paper 42 ounces and plastic 18 ounces. I made a assumption it was .001 on their tool which was the minimum of 39 Euros or about $42.50 at the current exchange rate.

Ebay's message leaves a lot of ambiguity in it.

@nky-photos  - I found this less ambiguous info on the help page, which makes me wonder why the announcement messaging couldn't have just copy and pasted this to be more clear. 🤔

When you sell packaged items to buyers in Germany, you must follow the requirements of the German Packaging Act (Verpackungsgesetz or VerpackG). This applies to all business sellers shipping items to a German delivery address.

As of July 1, 2022 eBay is legally obligated to confirm our sellers meet these requirements. If you do not comply with the Packaging Act, your eBay account may be restricted.

Sellers affected by the Packaging Act

The German Packaging Act affects business sellers whose items end up with private consumers in Germany.

This includes:

• Packaging your items and shipping them OR
  • Importing already-packaged items into Germany

Types of packaging required to be licensed

The Packaging Act concerns all packaging that ultimately ends up with the German end user and that will need to be disposed of by them.

The overall term used here is "sales packaging" and this means:

• Product packaging
  • Shipment packaging (including filling and cushioning materials)
  • Service packaging (for example carrier bags or coffee-to-go cups).

It doesn't matter what material the packaging is made of, because all packaging has to be licensed – including cardboard, plastic, and glass

Requirements for business sellers

There are three legal requirements for sellers under the Packaging Act:

• License (aka "system participation") your packaging quantities with a dual system.
  • Register in the "LUCID" register - opens in new window or tab, provided by the central authority "Zentrale Stelle Verpackungsregister" (ZSVR). After registration, you will receive your individual LUCID registration number (= EPR number for packaging). Submit this number to your dual system.
  • Enter the name of your dual system and your packaging quantity licensed in step 1 in the LUCID reporting register of the ZSVR.
Message 21 of 89
latest reply

Much clearer except for one thing.

"The German Packaging Act affects business sellers whose items end up with private consumers in Germany."

Ebay does not consider me a business. Does that mean non-business as defined by ebay, AKA, I do not have a Tax-ID number except for SSN, must comply with act.

Peace, Duane Bass

(1st Armored Division 1971 - 73)

Message 22 of 89
latest reply

@nky-photos wrote:

"The German Packaging Act affects business sellers whose items end up with private consumers in Germany."

Ebay does not consider me a business. Does that mean non-business as defined by ebay, AKA, I do not have a Tax-ID number except for SSN, must comply with act.

@nky-photos  good point! Logic would say the easy distinction would be between a "business" or "individual" account here on eBay but....as we all know, logic doesn't always factor into these things and the lines between business and personal accounts are increasingly blurring.

tyler@ebay  velvet@ebay  - please follow up with the appropriate teams to get us a clearer answer on this one.

Message 23 of 89
latest reply

Anything I sell internationally ships through the eBay GSP, or on occasion a freight forwarder, so it would be on the GSP or the freight forwarder to insure compliance. 

Message 24 of 89
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

Anything I sell internationally ships through the eBay GSP, or on occasion a freight forwarder, so it would be on the GSP or the freight forwarder to insure compliance. 

@dbfolks166mt  that's another excellent question to get a clearer official answer on.

Just in a brief Google search (take it with a huge grain of salt), it sounds like these regulations have been in place for some time but this latest announcement is related to a shift in responsibility away from marketplaces and fulfilment service providers to retailers.

Again, huge grain of salt here, but I found this info interesting:

https://blog.getbyrd.com/en/german-packaging-act-amendment 

"The amendment of the German Packaging Act entails a change in the obligations for retailers and shipping service providers. After a one-year transitional period, from July 2022 fulfillment service providers will no longer be required to license shipping packaging that is subject to mandatory system participation. Instead, the commissioning distributor (retailer) of the products is required to license the packaging in all cases.

Fulfillment service providers and online marketplaces will also have to check whether their retailers have complied with the obligations of the German Packaging Act. If retailers cannot demonstrate compliance, fulfillment service providers or online marketplaces are no longer allowed to offer, sell or ship their products. If fulfillment service providers and online marketplaces fail to comply with these obligations, they may face severe penalties."

Message 25 of 89
latest reply

Interesting and agree it will be interesting to see how eBay handles/addresses their policies with regard to this. Germany represents about 15% of eBay's sales during a year so there is the potential for significant impact. 

Message 26 of 89
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@nky-photos wrote:

@nky-photos  good point! Logic would say the easy distinction would be between a "business" or "individual" account here on eBay but....as we all know, logic doesn't always factor into these things and the lines between business and personal accounts are increasingly blurring.

tyler@ebay  velvet@ebay  - please follow up with the appropriate teams to get us a clearer answer on this one.

Hi @valueaddedresource! This is very new to us too, so we reached out to get clarification. What we have found is that no matter the size of the seller (business/personal), if they are selling and shipping to Germany and the item will be packaged in some form, they will need to comply with this requirement. We'll be sure to get the Weekly Chat post updated that you referenced above. Thanks!

Edited 5/10/2022: We've been advised that this only applies to business sellers.

Velvet,
eBay
Message 27 of 89
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

Hey @dbfolks166mt! I don't readily see anything on how this will work with GSP so I'm going to see what I can find out and will follow-up with you here. Great question, thank you! 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 28 of 89
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@nky-photos wrote:

Hi @valueaddedresource! This is very new to us too, so we reached out to get clarification. What we have found is that no matter the size of the seller (business/personal), if they are selling and shipping to Germany and the item will be packaged in some form, they will need to comply with this requirement. We'll be sure to get the Weekly Chat post updated that you referenced above. Thanks!

Thanks velvet@ebay ! From that answer I'm pretty sure it's a yes, but just to make sure....that would apply to anything being shipped through GSP as well right?  The seller would ultimately still be responsible there too?

I'm just wondering how that works - I believe that Pitney Bowes can/does open and repackage items that go through GSP, which could mean that the shipping/packing material may end up being something other than what the seller provided or claimed for purposes of complying with these regulations.

Since this is set to take effect July 1, maybe before then it would be good to have either a dedicated weekly chat or at least see if you can get a couple members from the shipping team (specifically with knowledge about GSP) and/or anyone else at eBay with specific knowledge of cross border trading and import/export issues to be available to answer questions on a dedicated community thread?

Message 29 of 89
latest reply

velvet@ebay 

Weekly Chat post updated that you referenced above. Thanks!

Needs to be a general announcement of where to get the stuff you need to prove compliance......tho I'm still confused of what kind of packaging is required/restricted.........

@valueaddedresource 

thanks for the followup

Message 30 of 89
latest reply