cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Took package inside post office and

USPS employee scanned label and gave me receipt showing the acceptance yet I now have defect showing as: Tracking updated on time - no carrier scan.

Shipped package a day earlier than eBay required.

Good grief!  Shaking my head at the absurdity of it all. 

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Took package inside post office and

I just literally handed a package to a mail lady. Still no scan on the package going on three days……

Your situation is a bit different than the OP's who had the package scanned, weighed and obtained a receipt. If you just handed it to a mail lady who knows what she did with it. 

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

@buzzapparel wrote:

I just literally handed a package to a mail lady. Still no scan on the package going on three days……

Handing it to her doesn't mean that she scanned/accepted it. 

Many carriers don't scan as "accepted." They put it into their bags and there's no scan until it reaches a facility, or even until delivered.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

@b86fiero wrote:

Thanks, I'll see what the tracking shows Monday and keep an eye on that defect that I never should have gotten.

Rather odd, label scanned at PO, acceptance proof provided by USPS receipt, yet fails to appear in the eBay transaction record.

If the tracking number is not appearing in eBay you can manually add the numbers to the order. 

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

Last mid summer I had 2 items showed as 'not scanned' although when you look at tracking, not only were they scanned as 'accepted' on time, scanned as delivered on time etc...

So, Facebook reps had to 'look into' it and couldn't fix it (system wouldn't allow) but since I was still 'good', they eventually fell off. 

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

Last mid summer I had 2 items showed as 'not scanned' although when you look at tracking, not only were they scanned as 'accepted' on time, scanned as delivered on time etc...

So, Facebook reps had to 'look into' it and couldn't fix it (system wouldn't allow) but since I was still 'good', they eventually fell off. 

This is one of the reasons I hate the "it's not currently affecting your TSR so we won't mess with it". Well, right now it's not, but what happens 6 months from now if something else happens and that super old bad update now is affecting my TSR? Then it' so old they "can't" do anything about it.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

@buzzapparel wrote:

And this is exactly the reason why I have to have a printed receipt of acceptance for all my USPS packages.

I'll wait in line for 30 minutes to get that receipt.

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

Carrier scans can become a big issue affecting a seller account when the carrier's employee fails to scan the label properly, there is a glitch in either the carrier or eBay's system, packages fall off the radar for carrier ineptitude, lost packages, vehicle crashes delaying or damaging packages, etc.

eBay says the seller is responsible for the item until it arrives at its destination but it is way past time that eBay holds seller accounts harmless from carrier situations out of their control.

eBay grants sellers "pardons" for inclement weather affecting shipping. Why not carrier failures? 

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

@b86fiero wrote:

eBay grants sellers "pardons" for inclement weather affecting shipping. Why not carrier failures? 

Because there is no way for them to detect a 'carrier failure' beyond looking at the same tracking data for the package that everyone else can see. 

I find Ebay tracking of my outbound shipments to be anywhere from a few hours to a whole day slower than what I can see directly on the USPS site. I just tell the buyer that their package has gone out (AFTER the package HAS actually gone out) and that they can contact me if they have any questions.

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

I've had the same thing happen over and over again.

I ship through eBay, then either the package is picked up here or if its something high dollar I take it to the PO myself and insist on it getting scanned, but it don't show up. I think they just fake scanning things sometimes. I've had a dozen packages in the past few months never show any tracking until they were delivered. With my old mail carrier, things would show up within minutes of pickup. Now all I get is the 'Completed pickup' email but no tracking.
I've fought with them over this for years and they refuse to scan things on the spot. All i get is lip service on the phone, they apologize and make nice but don't do what they're supposed to because they don't want to pay overtime to the drivers for the few seconds it takes to scan packages.
I've also been through a dozen carriers in the past year. The one woman that was really good didn't last.

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

@reelworks wrote:

I've had a dozen packages in the past few months never show any tracking until they were delivered. With my old mail carrier, things would show up within minutes of pickup. Now all I get is the 'Completed pickup' email but no tracking.

Exactly how are you printing your labels? It sounds like your labels are not clear enough to be read by the automated equipment along the way. You can still expect a Delivered scan because the carrier has to account for every package they drop off (and would not know that the label was not successfully scanned along the way) - and if they cannot read the label barcode then they have to type in the number manually to be sure that their delivery gets reported.

@reelworks wrote:

I've fought with them over this for years and they refuse to scan things on the spot.

That one you need to stand your ground on because they are required to scan a package when they receive it. If you are shipping multiple packages then they are required to scan the SCAN form that you can print (if they are not willing to scan each package individually). That gives a Provisional acceptance (same as scanning it at one of their lobby kiosks) that Ebay will accept on-line as proof of mailing.

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

@itsjustasprain wrote:

Exactly how are you printing your labels? It sounds like your labels are not clear enough to be read by the automated equipment along the way. You can still expect a Delivered scan because the carrier has to account for every package they drop off (and would not know that the label was not successfully scanned along the way) - and if they cannot read the label barcode then they have to type in the number manually to be sure that their delivery gets reported.

I suspect a lot of lack of scans is due to things like this, honestly. I use a Laserjet printer for mine and tape over the entire label to make sure it can't get torn or damp and my packages average at least eight scans on the way to the buyer.

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

Had this happen last month.  Mine cleared up in about a weeks time.  Just lag in between systems.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply