cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer left negative feedback

Buyer left negative feedback and the only thing that was left was

””Seller is a Scam Artist, do not buy from these clowns””””

and then he sent me a message saying after I approved the return several hours later:

“act like a scammer and a clown and get called one. Your even worse than a human, but I figured eBay wouldn’t allow me to call you what you really are. A fraudster. 
good job being a jerk “

I contacted eBay and they gave him a strike. I asked eBay to read through the messages I sent to him and the messages he sent to me. EBay said I did nothing wrong. 

but eBay won’t remove the feedback until this buyer returns the item purchased. The buyer didn’t read the description of the listing. I’m very thorough in my listings. I explained everything and take several close up detailed pictures. 

I’ve already authorized a return. He bought an auction for a cordless vacuum. He had been using the vacuum. The battery stopped holding a charge and he flipped out. In the listing we state the battery, brush roller and filters are used. The battery may not hold a full charge. You are buying a used battery and filter. 

we actually disassemble the vacuums and clean them thoroughly to give an experience of a new vacuum cleaner. They are cleaned. We never replace the batteries or filters. We state that in the description. 

I believe that I have a very strong case for defamation. And since he left the feedback our sales have completely stopped. We usually sell at least 7-10 vacuums a day. Now basically zero! 
the feed back he left doesn’t even mention the item purchased. His feedback is 100% defamation: libel, my business has declined and sales have stopped! 
what do you think about this situation?

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

@alexasroom wrote:

what do you think about this situation?

I think your reply to the feedback, although a bit long, clearly shows what happened and that you are not at fault.

I think this one negative feedback has no impact on your sales.

I think  I would have hesitation buying from you.

I think you're making too much of this.  Libel? Come on.

I think ebay will not remove this feedback.

I think you should take it with a grain of salt and move on.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 2 of 36
latest reply

One negative feedback will not break your business. It may slow things down but you explained it well in your reply. Take a deep breath and think about how many sales it would take to pay for a lawyer. You will survive just make sure you put them on your BBL.

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

I contacted eBay and they gave him a strike

No they didn't. 

I believe that I have a very strong case for defamation

I don't. 

in the description. We state that the battery is used and may not hold a full charge

If you put the condition as "Used" that condition says "The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended." IMHO if the battery does not hold a charge, it does not function as intended. 

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

Stop. Breath. Now take your personal feelings out of this, it’s business. Easier said, than done, believe me, we know!

We just experienced a similar feedback situation where we freaked out a bit when all we needed to do was have some patience. Ebay did remove feedback ounce buyer returned and we refunded her.

Sellers can’t “fix” stupid, change peoples expectations or make people actually read a description. So situations like this, unfortunately happen. Just be professional and just let it play out.

Happy Prosperous New Year 🎉

Kiks

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

I don't blame you one bit for how you feel.  If someone did to me what that moron did to you, your reputation, and your business, I'd practically be jumping through the screen on my monitor to go after them in any legal way possible to try and get them to remove their slanderous feedback if eBay doesn't do it for you. 

Slanderous feedback such as that should not be allowed, period. 

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

@alexasroom 

You might be a little bit ahead of the game. Wait until the transaction is completed and refund given to buyer after the returned item is received by you.

The feedback may be automatically removed.

I agree with others. Does not matter what you state in your description, an item listed as USED is a fully functioning product.

lakefor94_0-1704038233953.jpeg

Seller protections

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-protections?id=4345&st=12&pos=4&query=Sel... 

Posting ID
Message 7 of 36
latest reply

and then he sent me a message saying 

@alexasroom 

You can report inappropriate eBay messages right from the message page itself.  It is found under the ACTION tab. 

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

I think you can have that deleted by eBay. Adding to the feedback might make it tougher to remove.

Shouldn't respond to something like that so quickly.

It is probably the worst feedback I have seen in a while I must admit.

And December...I don't think a husband is going to buy a vacuum cleaner for his wife during the holidays. It's just a bad month for sales for you.

I bet you make a lot of sales during Chinese New Year...tradition is one must clean the entire house before the Chinese New Year...might want to use that to promote sales....my wife is Chinese and it drives me nuts.

Because we also do that "spring cleaning" which is after the Chinese New Year.

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

I doubt the neg will have any effect on future buyers. Most consider 95% to be fine and dandy, while 99.5% is an A+.

And the neg sounds like an angry moron, while your Response is calm and professional.
I would have made is shorter and mentioned returning for refund though.

And three of your Neutrals which make no difference to your rating are fine. The one which includes a problem should have included an offer of refund on return even though you are confident the buyer does not want that.

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

I have 100% taken my personal feelings out of the equation. Logically I ask myself self what a company would do if they received a libel feedback on google. They would sue. The thing about defamation, his state in the feedback is he wants to cause harm to my business. He states “do not buy from these clowns”. He intended to cause harm. Not only he has sent 3 messages now with name calling. I have not responded to him. I have contacted eBay and they are aware. 
I believe I could take this to litigation and settle with him. I’ve already in my life been to litigation twice and won on other matters. Thank you for your help and support 

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

Good you have taken your feeling out of this business dispute.

Now look at putting your wallet into it.

Will litigation- across state boundaries at that- cost more than a single FB that will drop off the first page in a month* and disappear entirely in 12 months?

Your reply was calm and professional. He looks like a drooling anger monkey.

Fine.

But you did not offer a refund on return.

How much would that offer have cost you compared to your reckoning of the damage to your reputation?

* You can make it drop faster by buying general household needs on eBay from sellers who leave FB on shipment.

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

Yes, I completely understand the seller protection, but it’s the fact that this buyer publicly published his statement to hurt our reputation. Defamation occurs when a false statement is made to a 3rd party if the statement is presented as factual and causes harm to plaintiffs reputation.  
the buyer has now followed up with 3 messages calling us scam artists and name calling. 
he’s published his statement. The statement is live for all to read. It’s public.  

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

I did contact eBay and they read through all the sent and received messages and the eBay representative put me on hold for 5 minutes or so and came back and said this is his first strike and that he also was sent a message from eBay. I’m going by what eBay told me. 
you have not added any helpful information .  Thanks 

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

Buyers do not receive strikes, so not sure what you are referring to.

And it doesn't make you look good here when you say, "What do you think about this situation?" and then blast a person who answers your question.

Message 15 of 36
latest reply