cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxation

wilmo-3443
Rising Star

I don’t believe in double taxation. I don’t believe eBay has the right the do that on used stuff that has already been taxed. We are taxed to death in this country!

Therefore I no longer sell on here.

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Taxation

What you believe and what the law says are obviously two different things.  There's a lot of "I want what I want because I want it" going around.

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

I bet the concept of a use tax is way too much for them to handle

Message 17 of 30
latest reply

@iamalwaysright wrote:

. . . because it's like many of the ingredients the restaurant paid sales taxes on already... I see them all the time at Costco stocking up.

Good thing groceries are exempt from sales tax in my state. You must live in one of the few (+/- 10) states that charge sales tax on groceries.

Message 18 of 30
latest reply

You can believe or not believe but no matter what you would have to write your congressmen and/or taxing authority. No one likes being taxed and with the dems in charge expect even more tax.

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

@eleanor*rigby wrote:

@iamalwaysright wrote:

. . . because it's like many of the ingredients the restaurant paid sales taxes on already... I see them all the time at Costco stocking up.

Good thing groceries are exempt from sales tax in my state. You must live in one of the few (+/- 10) states that charge sales tax on groceries.

I think it depends in Calif. The item needs to be in it's raw form to be exempt from sales tax, specifically meat, fruit, veggies. I think everything else in the grocery store has sales tax like seasonings, drinks, food that has been prepped/cooked.

Wait'll the OP finds out about CRV. Anyone remember that Seinfeld episode with Kramer going to Michigan to redeem for 5 cents more?

Message 20 of 30
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc 

Oh for the humanity! 😁

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

Calif. is way different for sure on taxes. Buy a frozen burrito and no tax but if you heat it up/microwave it at the establishment when purchasing then it is taxed. 

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

Don't know when state sales taxes first began, but I'd be willing to bet it was long before the current political party was in the majority.  

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

@coastaltechsolution wrote:

Calif. is way different for sure on taxes. Buy a frozen burrito and no tax but if you heat it up/microwave it at the establishment when purchasing then it is taxed. 

Yea I learned that when I was young and always ate at Subway... the way they tax some sammiches and not others.

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

So you don't think states raise taxes and decide what we pay and it is only the feds that do that ? Dems raise taxes regardless if it is state or fed. Move to Illinois, you'll love it.

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

A used 1967 Camaro sold in 2020 for $80,000 will fetch $8000 in taxes in Los Angeles.

Over TWO Times the original cost of the car. 

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

Yep, next thing you know Big Brother will be flying drones over garage sales and taking addresses.

The next big tax will be invented to offset lower gasoline tax revenue due to electric cars.  EV owners beware. 

There is no such thing as being off grid in most communities.  You can install all the solar you want and the electric company still has the right to charge you monthly for a hookup to the grid to which you supply extra power.   Some homeowners try to live without garbage service.  It is required in most communities.  They don't want people driving around town using city garbage cans to avoid paying every couple months.  If you want to be off grid it best be 40 acres well off the literal grid.  

Estates and Trusts get taxed and then the distributed money is taxable to the people lucky enough to inherit some.  I am the executor of two estates and had to fire my accountant because she was too ambitious about asking for private info on all the people I was writing checks to.  I told her the estate paid the taxes.  It's up to each individual to claim their inheritance.  That's why the best answer an accountant can give when you ask how much tax should I pay? is "How much do you want it to be". 

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

Because of the plandemic which destroyed not only the US economy but also the US workforce those greedy blood suckers in congress(state and federal)and others are DESPERATE for the most ridiculous term ever invented "tax revenue"(you make money off of other people's toil).  We really should as a country take this on but Americans are nonsensically fighting each other daily over what I call ping pong politics.  No used item should be taxed,  PERIOD.  Pink Floyd's Money, "keep your hands off my stash".  As long as we place priorities over nonsense we will continue to get drained by the vampires in congress. 

Message 28 of 30
latest reply

Never miss a chance to drag in your little personal political agenda. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 29 of 30
latest reply

I don’t believe in double taxation. I don’t believe eBay has the right the do that on used stuff that has already been taxed. We are taxed to death in this country!  Therefore I no longer sell on here.

Read the Schedule C Instructions Form better before ranting.

Message 30 of 30
latest reply