cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxation

wilmo-3443
Rising Star

I don’t believe in double taxation. I don’t believe eBay has the right the do that on used stuff that has already been taxed. We are taxed to death in this country!

Therefore I no longer sell on here.

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Taxation

See ya!

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

Taxation

without Representation!

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

Taxation

It's sales tax, not an item tax. It's not up to eBay, it's the law. 

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

Taxation

I smell a Tea Party brewing! 😃

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

Taxation

eBay is the law

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

Taxation

Certainly your choice...........but be advised that it's not ebay that is the deciding factor.......  each state has made the decision to tax internet sales.  Just as you go into a Goodwill and buy something  which is taxed........even tho the item is 2nd hand.......ebay has to charge the tax to the buyer........

If you want to complain.......complain to your local state reps and Senators..... 

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

Taxation

”…Therefore I no longer sell on here.”

As is your prerogative. 

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

Taxation

@wilmo-3443 

It's not Ebay that's charging the sales tax, they just have to collect it for the states that require Ebay to collect it for them.

Have a great day
Message 9 of 30
latest reply

Taxation

I guess you also therefore would never buy anything second hand like a certified pre-owned car, house, or even food at restaurants (because it's like many of the ingredients the restaurant paid sales taxes on already... I see them all the time at Costco stocking up).

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

Taxation

So you have never bought a used vehicle?

The tax is on the transaction, not the item.

If state sales tax could only be charged on brand new items, wouldn't there be at least a few sellers who would list their brand new, shiny, still in the box widgets as "used"? 

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

Taxation

There is nothing like a new, slighty used widget. The smell takes me back...

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

Taxation

Yeah, I bet a lot of tax cheats will be leaving. No more undercutting prices of honest sellers.

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

Taxation

It's not eBay that is taxing.  You always did owe those taxes.  It's just it was not cost effective to collect those pennies.  It's a tax on the act of selling the item, not the item.  So, it can be taxed over and over.   Go to a resale shop, yet sales that there too.

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

Taxation

The worst of it is cigarettes and liquor.

You are paying sales tax on the taxes already paid by the company.