cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So you want to quit eBay and sell on Amazon...

Before you give into your desire to jump the fence for greener pastures, read this article...  Thought you might want to be well informed prior to making emotionally charged business decisions.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/19/18140799/amazon-marketplace-scams-seller-court-appeal-reinstatem...

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: So you want to quit eBay and sell on Amazon...

@sharingtheland wrote:

Remember when Walmart was the Evil Empire of retail and employment?  We always have to have a villain...

Walmart still is an evil empire of retail.

Message 31 of 57
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Amazon FBA has too many returns. Even on cheap stuff, customers want refunds. FBM means you ship it for yourself without Amazon controlling your product in a warehouse(FBA). You get your money faster EBAY, but Amazon takes 2 weeks.  Fees are very high on Amazon (almost half price your product).

It depends on category, but I'm not sure where you are getting high fees from.

Compared to eBay pre-2018, this was accurate. For our category, Amazon fees are about 2% difference from eBay.

But now if you factor in the returns, shipping fees, and Sponsored Listings (that are required for the same amount of visibility on eBay), eBay is actually more expensive now.

And it shows in the sale prices on each platform.

If you were discussing FBA fees, in some cases it costs more, but in most cases you actually SAVE with FBA. Through shipping.

For example, let's say you have a small item that sells pretty often. Every time you sell on eBay, you have to pay full shipping for each item.

On FBA, you only have to send one bulk shipment to Amazon. For drastically reduced shipping fees. For a small item, you could send dozens-hundreds for like $30.

Then you do NOT have to pay individual shipping fees for each item! 

The shipping costs lead to drastic savings for small items, or very large items. Because you are not paying for every single item that is fulfilled. 

The only time you might lose money is if you have some items that don't sell often and they are sitting in store, but with proper stock management and only shipping the amount that sells every 1-2 months, this shouldn't happen.

That's one of the biggest problems eBay is facing in 2019. With the new policies, it's costing MORE than the competition to sell on eBay, and the margins are LOWER than the competition, and the sales prices to customers are HIGHER than the competition. We're much less competitive than we were a year and a half ago just by being on eBay.

Message 32 of 57
latest reply

This certainly would explain why prices on eBay compared to prices on Amazon make me laugh. eBay is ridiculous.

It also drives home the point that it's easier to long- term PLAN a business on Amazon because Amazon isn't in the habit of jerking the rug out from under sellers at any time with ridiculous changes for no other reason than "because we can".

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 33 of 57
latest reply

Amazon is the next Walmart of business and job killing.
I go out of my way to AVOID buying from them if at all possible.
Message 34 of 57
latest reply

Anyone can sell on Amazon, just like Ebay.  It's not so special. 😉 

I've only sold books over there.

Their listing mechanism isn't nearly as user friendly as Ebay IMO but the fees are similar. 

Message 35 of 57
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

This certainly would explain why prices on eBay compared to prices on Amazon make me laugh. eBay is ridiculous.

It also drives home the point that it's easier to long- term PLAN a business on Amazon because Amazon isn't in the habit of jerking the rug out from under sellers at any time with ridiculous changes for no other reason than "because we can".

The main thing is Amazon was designed with Bezos actually having a background in Computer Science/Engineering. He actually understood the software and this helped them not run into issues with sustainability issues or design issues.

EBay's decisions are obviously not being made by anyone with design experience. The changes are not sustainable, and honestly just illogical.

Sponsored listings are a perfect example. They improve eBay's margin, at the cost of margin for the seller, and HIGHER PRICES FOR THE CUSTOMER! This is basic logic here. Higher prices for customers  are not healthy for growth of ANY marketplace! 

How else could eBay improve their margin...? More sales on their marketplace! Which is exactly what they would be getting if eBay wasn't taking their "trending rate of 7%" out of every sale! 

EBay is basically slowing their own growth in eCommerce, by trying to cash out at the expense of the customer, and trying to charge additional fees for "visibility", when visibility is the only reason people are selling on eBay in the first place! What are the fees being paid for then, if not visibility...?

You can see the same thing in shipping. EBay is obviously getting better negotiated rates in shipping than they are offering us. For Commercial Plus pricing, you don't even need to negotiate at all! Yet eBay says they HAVE negotiated. If they HAVE negotiated with USPS, then how come in many cases eBay prices are higher than commercial plus...? And they have offered better rates to China sellers, confirming they have better prices than they are giving US sellers.

Rather than passing these savings to the sellers, which would bring prices on eBay lower for customers, and INCREASE SALES ON EBAY, therefore increasing eBay's margin... they are turning shipping in to another form of profit.

If your goal is to lead to marketplace growth, the design should support that in a sustainable way, and growth should be the priority. Their new policies & features are not designed to support growth.

Message 36 of 57
latest reply

"Policies are an issue on both sides. 

its so ridiculous to even get someone on the phone on Amazon support that could take action on your case & you are stuck sending in silly appeals that try to get past their automated system."

I have to disagree with this statement.  I have had nothing  but excellent service from Amazon with issues.

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 37 of 57
latest reply

So, what's the question, again?

It is sort of academic, I would think.  If one is going to sell online, one is likely to sell on Amazon or ebay.  Pick your poison.  Or both.

Selling on Amazon = seller vs seller and Amazon -- (back stabbing and policies)

Selling on ebay = seller vs buyer and ebay -- (fraud, glitches and policies)

Such is e-commerce today.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 38 of 57
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

Remember when Walmart was the Evil Empire of retail and employment?  We always have to have a villain...

I do, indeed.  I'm not sure they ever lived that down, though~some still won't buy there.

Message 39 of 57
latest reply

As an Amazon seller stuff like that really stresses me out. You never know when Amazon will shut you down. For example I currently have a spate of returns for reasons like "no longer wanted", bad address, never picked up at the P.O. I've refunded....but will Amazon's bots decide it's my fault and I"m a bad seller??

I suppose if I was kicked off Amazon I would list everything here instead of selecting from my inventory to list here. Ebay  just doesn't provide the same level of sales (I am in books and media).

Message 40 of 57
latest reply

@frodobagginskennedy wrote:

"Policies are an issue on both sides. 

its so ridiculous to even get someone on the phone on Amazon support that could take action on your case & you are stuck sending in silly appeals that try to get past their automated system."

I have to disagree with this statement.  I have had nothing  but excellent service from Amazon with issues.

I'll clarify, because it depends on your type of issue.

- As a customer, they will consistently give you great service.

- As a seller with basic issues, they will consistently give great service, although policies are not always in your favor.

- As a seller with any sort of complex issue, or issue that requires more authority than CSR's (many cases require their Seller Performance team's approval) - there is where the problem appears. 

The 3rd case here is the problem.

For example, we had some open & shut cases. One of them, a manufacturer tried to claim copyright against our listing. Our item was a COMPLETELY different brand! Easily not a copyright claim, because the person who made the claim was not the copyright holder of the item we were selling.

It took us weeks of being on the phone to get this handled, and during this time our account was suspended. We would speak to a CSR, they tell you to send your appeal to Sellers Performance, and their Seller Performance team's emails have to go through an AUTOMATED SYSTEM before it reaches anyone who will actually read your email! The automated system kept rejecting our mail.

Then we try again. We would speak to a supervisor, they would give us a checklist of the 5 things that need to be in our appeal to get past the automated system. We would send them a copy of our appeal - supervisor confirming that we hit all the points. Send the email in - 2 minutes later, auto rejection email.

I finally got to a supervisor who sent our case directly to the leadership team and got it handled. But it took far too long, and was completely unfair. You can be 100% certain the emails never reached a person, because once a person looked at the case, it was obviously not copyright infringement since they didn't even have the same brand.

We had other issues similar to this. To make the problems worse, Amazon CSR's in any case where they have to refer you to Seller Performance, will tell you anything to make you happy, because they email a survey about how they did afterward. Many CSR's tell you blatant lies just for that survey. 

Also combine this with China sellers who have marketing teams that report your items for infringement, knowing that it's a nightmare to prove, and if you report their infringement, since they are China sellers Amazon has trouble proving authenticity one way or another. They have an easier time dealing with the same cases. 

To be fair, if you have severe issues on eBay, it's just as bad for different reasons. In severe cases, eBay will directly tell you they don't even have a team that can help you, period. Amazon has a team that can help, but you have to get past their automated systems to even speak to them.

Both have their own issues, and tbh, both are not ideal. Hard to say which is worse to deal with as a seller. 

Message 41 of 57
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

So, what's the question, again?

It is sort of academic, I would think.  If one is going to sell online, one is likely to sell on Amazon or ebay.  Pick your poison.  Or both.

Selling on Amazon = seller vs seller and Amazon -- (back stabbing and policies)

Selling on ebay = seller vs buyer and ebay -- (fraud, glitches and policies)

Such is e-commerce today.

Mostly accurate. But I look at it a slight bit more as:

Selling on Amazon = Malicious sellers abusing policies vs legit sellers. You have to constantly prove yourself as a legit seller to Amazon, who has a solid technical backend and many policies to protect the market, but is exploited by sheer volume of cases opened.

Selling on eBay = Seller fighting eBay's search engine for visibility, and policies that decrease margin in order to have visibility. With hopes that you aren't one of the "lucky" ones who get affected by tech issues that ruin everything for you for an unknown amount of time until they fix things.

Message 42 of 57
latest reply

I tried a little on Tradesy. Gave up after trying to post pictures. And then they told me I had to provide proof of ownership as a receipt. I told them I sell estate pieces and don't get itemized receipts. And if I did why would I want to post them ? You cant make a profit doing that silly **bleep**.
Message 43 of 57
latest reply

@keziak wrote:

As an Amazon seller stuff like that really stresses me out. You never know when Amazon will shut you down. For example I currently have a spate of returns for reasons like "no longer wanted", bad address, never picked up at the P.O. I've refunded....but will Amazon's bots decide it's my fault and I"m a bad seller??

I suppose if I was kicked off Amazon I would list everything here instead of selecting from my inventory to list here. Ebay  just doesn't provide the same level of sales (I am in books and media).

Yep - that's what I was discussing. The automated parts of their customer service make things a nightmare. 

If you can actually get through to a human, their customer service is amazing, and honestly does surpass eBay's. But to get through to a human is not always possible and may take weeks or months to even get lucky enough to make it through.

That's honestly the only true disadvantage I see Amazon having for a seller if your focus is on selling "new" products. Aside from that, eBay is falling behind with their changes from 2018-onward. It's beginning to show in market statistics (eBay's markets are seeing a drop for the first time in our market in 5 years) while competitor markets are increasing, the market drop seems to be accelerating as we hit February (where typically only Jan is slow) , and prices on eBay are now higher than the competition.

I hope whoever replaces Kupbens actually starts listening to feedback and/or understands eCommerce and is able to advocate for buyers & sellers!

Message 44 of 57
latest reply

My last 300 sales there and not one feedback. Not even one  Customers there Do not leave feedback unless it's neg. And auto pricers will kill you. Goodwill for example has auto pricers that go one cent less. You can't even math there price. If you do, within five seconds there 1 cent less. Many others doing this too. It's a race to the bottom. They will eat you alive. One or two negs and your out. One or two returns and your out. (Small sellers) 

Message 45 of 57
latest reply