cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So you want to quit eBay and sell on Amazon...

Before you give into your desire to jump the fence for greener pastures, read this article...  Thought you might want to be well informed prior to making emotionally charged business decisions.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/19/18140799/amazon-marketplace-scams-seller-court-appeal-reinstatem...

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Yep.

If there's one company I'd love to see implode it's Amazon.  Why people find that place so appealing I've never been able to figure out.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 57
latest reply

Asian mega sellers have been paying people to do that for years now.

I signed up for a site that would send me freebies if I reviewed them on Amazon. I soon came to realize that it was against the rules and deleted my account.
Message 3 of 57
latest reply

Many people are slamming eBay for Chinese products but Amazon is even worse. Bought an item that nobody had on eBay from Amazon for my daughter's Christmas present. The third party seller looked like it was American and so did the item in the listing. When I received it, nothing but an absolutely useless piece of Chinese junk. 

Message 4 of 57
latest reply

I used to sell on the River several years ago. After awhile, it became clear to me this is not the place to sell my items. 

Leaving that company was the best decision for me and never regretted it. 

The grass isn't always greener elsewhere. For buying items, the River is ok. That's about it. 

Message 5 of 57
latest reply

Wow...

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for showing me the reason why I am grateful to be on the slower end of sales today. Not only does it make me more willing to actually please the buyer but I am sure glad I don't have to grow ulcers on account of black market tactics...

Sometimes it truly is better to be the underdog.

The picture below, the highlighted square is an entire black market corner in itself!

Just think what could happen, the possibilities...

What if the "consultants" PAID sellers to thwart their competitor's efforts?

What if the consultants HIRE people to have sellers terminated?

I am also fairly certain that somehow the use of such a consultant would be against TOS as well.

Oh it's about to blow up bigly.

Message 6 of 57
latest reply

@rdj831 wrote:

Before you give into your desire to jump the fence for greener pastures, read this article...  Thought you might want to be well informed prior to making emotionally charged business decisions.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/19/18140799/amazon-marketplace-scams-seller-court-appeal-reinstatem...

Rule 1: NOBODY should ever up and "quit" eBay and jump into a brand new venue- ever. Burning bridges is silly. Branching out/ testing the waters is smarter.

Every venue has its issues. 

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 7 of 57
latest reply

Very good article.

Thanks for posting it

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 8 of 57
latest reply

I do much better with the auction format for the types of items I sell, so I couldn't sell on Amazon even if I wanted to because they don't offer the auction format. 

Message 9 of 57
latest reply

A couple of years ago I tried my hand at Amazon... thinking some of my know-how here would transfer over to Amazon. That place is a totally different world. I might be biased because I've been on ebay for well over a decade.

I didn't read the article OP posted, but after my experience, I bet I can guess 90% of what's on that article. 90% fake reviews, paying people to leave them for you (they don't even have to buy your item). It's against their TOS, but there were ways around it. That started Amazon's witch hunt who just can totally wipe out your reviews on a whim regardless of how legitimate... shoot first ask questions later.

There's large (legal) companies who solely focuses on consulting and reinstating your account from frivilous suspensions. Makes me wonder if those companies are affiliated with Amazon and double dipping on profits.

Then there's the massively large overseas companies who can easily muscle you out (and probably bribe Amazon to keep them off their back) while clearly violating Amazon TOS. I've heard of these companies aggressively messaging their small competition sellers to stop selling the competing product... or else. They admittedly will threaten to use underhanded tactics to drown your listing... hire thousands of employees to leave countless low star reviews to bury your account.

Did I hit the nail on any of that?

Message 10 of 57
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

A couple of years ago I tried my hand at Amazon... thinking some of my know-how here would transfer over to Amazon. That place is a totally different world. I might be biased because I've been on ebay for well over a decade.

I didn't read the article OP posted, but after my experience, I bet I can guess 90% of what's on that article. 90% fake reviews, paying people to leave them for you (they don't even have to buy your item). It's against their TOS, but there were ways around it. That started Amazon's witch hunt who just can totally wipe out your reviews on a whim regardless of how legitimate... shoot first ask questions later.

There's large (legal) companies who solely focuses on consulting and reinstating your account from frivilous suspensions. Makes me wonder if those companies are affiliated with Amazon and double dipping on profits.

Then there's the massively large overseas companies who can easily muscle you out (and probably bribe Amazon to keep them off their back) while clearly violating Amazon TOS. I've heard of these companies aggressively messaging their small competition sellers to stop selling the competing product... or else. They admittedly will threaten to use underhanded tactics to drown your listing... hire thousands of employees to leave countless low star reviews to bury your account.

Did I hit the nail on any of that?

Yes, you did- and anyone who thinks all the same stuff doesn't/ won't happen here is delusional.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 11 of 57
latest reply

Many people are slamming eBay for Chinese products but Amazon is even worse. 

So I have heard, you're right.

Message 12 of 57
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

Ever since my Amazon selling experience, I've actually started to buy more things from ebay now. I've been telling friends and family that I think Amazon's honeymoon period is over... they are starting to get more stigma. They'll still be uber popular though. But not at the same rate as it was years ago.

Or maybe it's just how Amazon is seen in the sellers eyes and I've become one of them. I've seen behind their curtain.

Message 13 of 57
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

Ever since my Amazon selling experience, I've actually started to buy more things from ebay now. I've been telling friends and family that I think Amazon's honeymoon period is over... they are starting to get more stigma. They'll still be uber popular though. But not at the same rate as it was years ago.

Or maybe it's just how Amazon is seen in the sellers eyes and I've become one of them. I've seen behind their curtain.

Oh, I don't see them going away any time soon, either.  I've read that some have become disenchanted with Prime for various reasons.  

Message 14 of 57
latest reply

@rdj831 wrote:

Many people are slamming eBay for Chinese products but Amazon is even worse. Bought an item that nobody had on eBay from Amazon for my daughter's Christmas present. The third party seller looked like it was American and so did the item in the listing. When I received it, nothing but an absolutely useless piece of Chinese junk. 

And that happens here, too, false location listed so as to seem like a USA seller.

Knowing that Amazon is even worse begs the question, Perhaps Ebay followed suit in order to remain competitive?  I don't know which site started the influx of Chinese sellers first, but it could be possible.

Message 15 of 57
latest reply