cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers Don't Cancel a Sale -- you Will Get a Defect:

I made a failed attempt to put a difficult buyer on my BBL because of a spelling error on my part. 

So this buyer was able to buy again.  When I realized who it was I cancelled the sale. 

Then I got a defect because ebay interpreted my cancellation of the sale as being "out of stock".

I have never been OOS of an item before.  (This is not my main selling ID, I have had thousands of sales on my selling ID).  And never been out of stock.

So now I have my first defect.  I appealed to ebay and pointed out how I had tried and failed to block the buyer before he could buy again, but to not avail;. So I still have the defect. 

It would have been better to ship the item to the difficult buyer and hope this sale went better.

I would have been taking a chance there would be trouble.  But getting a defect is a certainty if you don't ship. 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Correct. If you sell an item and can not deliver that item you are OOS. Why punish your buyer because you made a mistake and misspelled a word ?

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Pretty sure when YOU cancel, you have to chose reason.......and probably buyer address would have been best for this one.......and for that you wouldn't have gotten a defect......

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

@dhbookds 

Does the buyer see that the seller lied on the reason and if so, can the buyer either call Ebay and complain, or at least give the seller a negative for lying ?

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

What underlying reason did you provide eBay for the cancellation ?

EBay does allow you to cancel without a defect when there is a problem with the address or buyer requested

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@dhbookds 

Does the buyer see that the seller lied on the reason and if so, can the buyer either call Ebay and complain, or at least give the seller a negative for lying ?

If I recall correctly, as a buyer I can see the reason a seller uses when canceling a transaction. 

As a general rule, I would certainly hope that a buyer is able to leave a negative when a seller lies about his reason for canceling. 

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

A couple of years ago there was a advertised seller protection for buyers circumventing a seller's BBL and we were told to cancel the transaction with the "problem with buyer's address" and then, note that the buyer circumvented your BBL by using a different account. 

I know this does not pertain to this case, but thought it worth mentioning. 

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@dhbookds 

Like others, I think the buyer can see the reason..........but I don't consider "buyer's address" as being lying.....if as the seller says, he attempted to block the buyer.....and did a typo........

What ebay does/will/can do about a buyer complaint about the reason........I have no idea, have never seen a mention on the boards about any sanction/discipline for using buyer's address.  In fact, have seen more than one blue suggest using that as a reason.......when I didn't think it "fit" the scenerio......  No, I don't have a link.....

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Copy/paste names to your BBL to avoid making a typo. 

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@calntom 

Yes, the information in your post is correct; however, I'm not sure that's quite what happened here, because--technically speaking--the OP's buyer was not on the BBL because the member id was entered incorrectly. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Bulk-nitpicky-buyer/m-p/29863998/highlight/true#M1427699

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Bookmarked that one,  thanks.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Bottom of page.

2020 Spring Seller Update-Updates to how you service your customers

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2020-spring/service.html 

4.jpg

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Would this apply even though they made a typo?

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

That buyer was never blocked.

The seller considered the buyer  "difficult"  because of a mistake made by the seller.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

That would be my position, @fern*wood. (See my message #10 above.) That buyer was not technically on the OP's BBL.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply