cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers Don't Cancel a Sale -- you Will Get a Defect:

I made a failed attempt to put a difficult buyer on my BBL because of a spelling error on my part. 

So this buyer was able to buy again.  When I realized who it was I cancelled the sale. 

Then I got a defect because ebay interpreted my cancellation of the sale as being "out of stock".

I have never been OOS of an item before.  (This is not my main selling ID, I have had thousands of sales on my selling ID).  And never been out of stock.

So now I have my first defect.  I appealed to ebay and pointed out how I had tried and failed to block the buyer before he could buy again, but to not avail;. So I still have the defect. 

It would have been better to ship the item to the difficult buyer and hope this sale went better.

I would have been taking a chance there would be trouble.  But getting a defect is a certainty if you don't ship. 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Sellers Don't Cancel a Sale -- you Will Get a Defect:

(Would this apply even though they made a typo?)

The burden of proof is (if you have reason to believe) and it also has this clause.

So I think the or part would cover the typo issue.4.jpg

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

That buyer was never blocked.

Blocking a buyer and thinking about blocking a buyer are two very different  things.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

@calntom 

Yes, the information in your post is correct; however, I'm not sure that's quite what happened here, because--technically speaking--the OP's buyer was not on the BBL because the member id was entered incorrectly. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Bulk-nitpicky-buyer/m-p/29863998/highlight/true#M1427699

In that thread, Trinton alluded to eBay adding an additional reason that could be selected for cancelling a transaction. 

Trinton Wrote:

"You can report the buyer, cancel the orders, and add the new account to your blocked list if you would like. A specific reason will be added later for these kinds of cancellations but for now you can use the "Problem with buyer's address" option, no problem. You will be protected from any defects or feedback issues that may arise.

I did not figure eBay would ever add that reason for a cancellation. 

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

But I see no evidence from the op that the buyer is still engaged in abusive behavior. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 19 of 21
latest reply

When you cancelled the sale (which you said you did), you was asked why?

A) I'm out of stock or the item is damaged (defect)

B) Buyer asked to cancel the order (no defect)

C) Something was wrong with they buyer's address (no defect)

If you got a defect, i'm assuming you selected A.

How do you know you got a defect?

I'm going to start a new post on defects.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 20 of 21
latest reply

If you cancelled using reason (A), then I feel sure you will get a defect and it will show up on your dashboard.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply