cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller makes offer & then says they can't pay for 2 weeks? Am I required to tolerate that?

I had a guy that put in an offer on an item, which I accepted, and when he hadn't paid in 2 days I asked him to kindly submit payment so I could mail his item, after which he told me "sorry for the inconvenience but I can't pay until 12/27".   Am I required to tolerate/accept that?   I told him maybe he should not have ordered if he couldn't pay for it but he hasn't responded.  It's a whole $12.99 total.   Really?

thanks

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: Seller makes offer & then says they can't pay for 2 weeks? Am I required to tolerate that?

It is entirely up to you whether to wait or not.  

Message 2 of 48
latest reply

Re: Seller makes offer & then says they can't pay for 2 weeks? Am I required to tolerate that?

It is up to you.  No you do not have to tolerate it but at least the buyer did communicate back to you with a solution to your question. 

Since it is a low dollar transaction why not just let the buyer have the extra time?  It's Christmas and everyone is spending more money than usual so in the Spirit of Christmas, give this buyer a gift of extra time. 

It should make you feel better helping a buyer who needs a bit of help from you.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 3 of 48
latest reply

Heartwarming.  

Message 4 of 48
latest reply

I'd file for non-payment as soon as possible. Helping someone is fine, but not when being expected to, that's incredibly rude.
Message 5 of 48
latest reply

So your buyer made an offer.

You can open an unpaid item dispute after 48 hrs, and close it 96 hrs later, giving the buyer a strike and you would get your fees back.

Message 6 of 48
latest reply

I have waited a few times in the past but that is because they asked before hand- not after the sale. I would file the npb claim and close it 4 days later in this case. Not to be cruel, but because they showed zero respect and just expected you to wait like it was solely their choice. I respect people all the way until they show no consideration for myself.

Message 7 of 48
latest reply

"Dear buyer, my selling account is automatically set to take non-payment action after 2 days of the listing's end, so payment extensions are out of my control. After 2 days, it's in ebay's hands and there is nothing I can do to extend the waiting  period."

Or in your case since it'a already been 2 days, you could tell them that your account is set to take automatic action after 3 days or whatever.

Message 8 of 48
latest reply

How badly do you want the sale?

Message 9 of 48
latest reply

@startmark wrote:

I have waited a few times in the past but that is because they asked before hand- not after the sale. I would file the npb claim and close it 4 days later in this case. Not to be cruel, but because they showed zero respect and just expected you to wait like it was solely their choice. I respect people all the way until they show no consideration for myself.

I agree, the buyer should have asked before, not after.  After implies they have you over a barrel, and that you have no choice but to do what they want.  

Message 10 of 48
latest reply

Lets be real. He does not need until 12/27 to cough up twelve bucks. He is simply hoping that YOU will give up on collecting it and cancel instead. I would move on with the UPI and close it out after 4 days as usual.

Message 11 of 48
latest reply

@startmark wrote:

.....,  but because they showed zero respect and just expected you to wait like it was solely their choice. I respect people all the way until they show no consideration for myself.

I believe that the values held by manny ordinary Americans have changed.

I have come across so manny people in recent years that are only concerned with themselves, & are dishonest and irresponsible.

Message 12 of 48
latest reply

Looking at the dark side.

If you feel you can not wait (UPI now, or UPI in 2 weeks is the same process) you need to weigh the possibilities.

If the buyer pays (by force from a UPI case), they may pay, and then request to cancel after they pay. Do you then refund, and eat the  $0.30 PP, or do you force the sale to continue?

Can your account stand a return from someone that is forced to pay, and then files a false INAD to get a refund?   It that were to happen, you pay shipping both ways.

Can your account stand a negative feedback?

I know you are not in the wrong here, but sometimes we need to consider our choices.

You could offer to cancel at buyer request, and list as a BIN with IPR when the buyer is ready.

Have you looked at the buyer feedback left for others to see if there is a problem.

Yes, only a few $$$, but to some a feww $$$ can sometimes be a lot.  Fortunate that it is no longer a worry for me, but there was a time when I lived paycheck to paycheck.  We should live within our means, but sometimes we just see something that we really want.

As others said, should ask before hand if not paying right away. Also as other asked, can you wait?  Is the $12.99 going to make, or break your selling year?

Message 13 of 48
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

Looking at the dark side.

If you feel you can not wait (UPI now, or UPI in 2 weeks is the same process) you need to weigh the possibilities.

If the buyer pays (by force from a UPI case), they may pay, and then request to cancel after they pay. Do you then refund, and eat the  $0.30 PP, or do you force the sale to continue?

Can your account stand a return from someone that is forced to pay, and then files a false INAD to get a refund?   It that were to happen, you pay shipping both ways.

Can your account stand a negative feedback?

I know you are not in the wrong here, but sometimes we need to consider our choices.

You could offer to cancel at buyer request, and list as a BIN with IPR when the buyer is ready.

Have you looked at the buyer feedback left for others to see if there is a problem.

Yes, only a few $$$, but to some a feww $$$ can sometimes be a lot.  Fortunate that it is no longer a worry for me, but there was a time when I lived paycheck to paycheck.  We should live within our means, but sometimes we just see something that we really want.

As others said, should ask before hand if not paying right away. Also as other asked, can you wait?  Is the $12.99 going to make, or break your selling year?

I don't think it's a matter of whether or not the $12.99 is going to make or break anyone's selling year. I think it's a matter of one more inconvenience that the OP has to put up with, especially during the holidays when things are hectic enough as it is.

What if the OP is planning to travel somewhere during the holidays and has to take the package with them in case the buyer pays them while they're on the road. I've had that happen several times, and it's a pain to have to cart someone's package  with you while traveling in order to get it in the mail within your handling time at some unfamiliar post office out of town. 

Message 14 of 48
latest reply

What if the seller was traveling or on vacation?  What if?  Apparently this what if is not really part of the OP plans or they might have expressed it here in the forum.

You are trying to add what if situations that are not part of the problem in an attempt to complicate the issue?

The buyer expressed sorrow and regret about an embarrassing situation as expressed and understood here in the forum, that a small amount of 12.99 would be a problem based on there financial situation.  Apparently sorrow and regret are reasons to penalize a buyer based on the posts in this thread. 

What is wrong with the OP communicating back to the buyer with there answer to the solution the buyer presented?

Good Luck Selling!

Message 15 of 48
latest reply