cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales down to nothing from January 1 2019

Just wondering if it is just me, or if other long-time sellers have noticed a complete drop through the floor of sales that started in the beginning of this month?

Message 1 of 154
latest reply
153 REPLIES 153

Not all - but many of us have seen a drop in sales across all the venues we sell on. We usually always see a slight decrease after the holidays - but there is so much going on with the stock market, the shutdown ect and I think people are a bit uneasy on spending for items that aren't necessities - I know I am.

Usually things start picking up in med Feb when people start receiving their tax returns so hang in there!  

Message 2 of 154
latest reply

Now we have to deal with increased shipping cost.  Will it ever end ?

Message 3 of 154
latest reply

Sales have been going down, at least for me steadily since mid 2017. And I do not think sellers here are overreacting, or that January - February is unique, we had worse economies with better sales.
Message 4 of 154
latest reply

no
Message 5 of 154
latest reply

No on the contrary MY sales have gone UP , UP and AWAY !!! 😀 SUPERMAN 😄

Message 6 of 154
latest reply

No sales....And no gawkers, lurkers, or watchers-  Smiley Frustrated

Message 7 of 154
latest reply

I am a longtime (1998) seller with rarely more than 30 items listed and I had a very nice January.  BUT folks need to remember that ebay is all about WHAT you are selling.  If you go into the grocery store knowing the item you want/need is in the far back corner on the bottom shelf you pass right by all the impulse or deeply discounted items to get back to the ones you want.   Same things applies here.

I think online sales will diminish across the board as gadgets are hacked and folks come full circle back to touching feeling and buying in person. 

Message 8 of 154
latest reply

But in the past 2 years clothing sellers have had competition from other clothing venues like Posh and Mercari as well as Tradesy. Buyers also have the different social media sites to make purchases on. I'm not surprised sales have slowed down here as many of the clothing items that target the younger generation may no longer do well here when they buy from these other sites with much more frequency.

Message 9 of 154
latest reply

I used to buy unpaid storage units and am on occasion a swap meet vendor..... I can buy name brand NWT clothing for a buck or two on a weekly basis.  I probably have more NEW clothes than I have days left to live!!!  Sellers with slow sales may need to think outside the box when sourcing items to sell online.    I maintain that everyone is a seller now with numerous FB groups right in their own backyard.  Porch Pick-Up is now the new Ebay.

Message 10 of 154
latest reply

@doubledz-a2z wrote:

I used to buy unpaid storage units and am on occasion a swap meet vendor..... I can buy name brand NWT clothing for a buck or two on a weekly basis.  I probably have more NEW clothes than I have days left to live!!!  Sellers with slow sales may need to think outside the box when sourcing items to sell online.    I maintain that everyone is a seller now with numerous FB groups right in their own backyard.  Porch Pick-Up is now the new Ebay.

Maybe for the recreational seller, but I don't see any kind of marketplace app taking the place of Ebay for any sort of volume selling

Message 11 of 154
latest reply

I still buy just as unabashedly online as always. However eBay is doing a disservice to buyers and sellers by letting fraud exist on this site
Message 12 of 154
latest reply

Yes, and I am on Mercari and FB..not Posh.. I go where I can sell for better prices where returns are not encouraged and buyers are sellers are a community.
Message 13 of 154
latest reply

That is what I am doing
Message 14 of 154
latest reply

@ez-deals-4you wrote:

Just wondering if it is just me, or if other long-time sellers have noticed a complete drop through the floor of sales that started in the beginning of this month?

It's been since the end of January. People are mostly window shopping right now. Watching things but not buying. I'd say it's a sign that people are interested in things they don't yet have the money for at the moment.

Message 15 of 154
latest reply