cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return for defective item / SNAD that is not actually a SNAD?

I sell new/used/refurbished computer parts. Recently I had a buyer purchase an item that was not actually compatible with his machine although correctly described in my listing. I researched it and found that the item he purchased was not compatible. In any case I accepted the return or eBay automatically accepted the return as SNAD (I forget which). He may or may not have been ignorant whether the part was not compatible at the start of his return request but in any case I explained to him that it was not compatible.

My question is how does eBay differentiate true SNADs from buyer's remorse / people who just bought the wrong item?

Are accepted returns counted toward defects against one's account?

I would like to note I do not use a posting ID on this forums as of yet. This is my real selling ID but I would like people to courteously respect my wish not for them to dig through my account to try to score points or whatever during this discussion. That tends to annoy me.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Return for defective item / SNAD that is not actually a SNAD?

A buyer can lie and file SNAD and ebay will believe them.

But if you accept the return and refund upon receiving your item, it will NOT result in a defect.

A defect is fo when the seller refses to do so and ebay is forced to step in and do it themselves.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Who is trying to score points and what does the points get them?
Thanks in advance.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

You did all the right things and respected the buyer and approved a return. You are allright with no defects.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

I think he means kudos or whatever they call them now.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Ok. Thanks for the feedback. I accepted the return. The item is light weight and I am 99% sure there is nothing wrong with it assuming it does not get damaged in shipping. I am sure I will be able to resell it.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Who is trying to score points?

People who pose irrelevant, trollish, or nitpicking coments in response to an OP, especially with "evidence" garnered by combing through the OP's listings and feedback while themselves hiding behind an anonymous posting account.

What is the purpose of scoring points?

I don't know maybe to pad one's ego?

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@zirkni wrote:  In any case I accepted the return or eBay automatically accepted the return as SNAD (I forget which).

That can make a difference. Did you accept it or did the buyer ask eBay to step in and eBay auto-accepted.

A defect will not be issued if you voluntarily accepted the return & you refund the buyer. A defect will occur if eBay auto-accepted after the buyer asked eBay to step in.

@zirkni wrote: My question is how does eBay differentiate true SNADs from buyer's remorse / people who just bought the wrong item?

Primarily they look at the type of return request that was opened. What was the exact reason chosen by the buyer and what did the buyer say in the comments of the return?

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

I am pretty sure I accepted. I just have no recollection of doing so. The buyer only opened his return today. I don't believe eBay automatically accepts returns until the buyer-seller negotiation period has elapsed. Am I wrong about that?

eBay message notifying me of the return:

"[buyer] let us know that something is wrong with [product]. As a result, they requested to return the item for a refund."

I assume that that the item was returned under the "eBay Money Back Guarantee." Are'nt these returns automatically accepted by the system?

Incidentally the buyer was nice enough to include photos of his computer in his return request. From his photos I could determine the model of his computer and from the model number, that my product was not compatible with it.

So there is almost certainly nothing wrong with the item...but I don't think it is worth fighting...assuming I don't get a defect because my buyer used the Money Back Guarantee.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

"In any case I accepted the return or eBay automatically accepted the return as SNAD (I forget which)."

"My question is how does eBay differentiate true SNADs from buyer's remorse / people who just bought the wrong item?"

"Are accepted returns counted toward defects against one's account?" "I am pretty sure I accepted. I just have no recollection of doing so. The buyer only opened his return today. I don't believe eBay automatically accepts returns until the buyer-seller negotiation period has elapsed. Am I wrong about that?"

"I assume that that the item was returned under the "eBay Money Back Guarantee." Are'nt [sic] these returns automatically accepted by the system?"

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/selling-policies?id=4214

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behaviour-policies/user-agreement?id=4259

"People who pose irrelevant, trollish, or nitpicking coments [sic] in response to an OP, especially with "evidence" garnered by combing through the OP's listings and feedback while themselves hiding behind an anonymous posting account."

https://community.ebay.com/t5/About-the-Community/Rules-of-Engagement/m-p/26164369?nobounce=

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Thanks for the links and taking the time to quote text I wrote earlier in thread. I think it would have been a more useful contribution to the discussion to just provide a simple yes / no answer to my question with the information I have given. I believe I gave enough information for you to do that. It is relatively easy to find policy documents. I am able to read them. What is the purpose participating in a "community help forum" just to link to the documents? Are we encouraged to ask other members for answers to problems we have here or not? I am not trying to be argumentative. I am just genuinely trying to improve the quality of the discussion. If when I (or any one else) asks a simple yes / no question and we are just given links, we might as well just read the primary documents and never ask the question in the first place. I think one of purposes of the forums is as time saving mechanism. In an ideal world users should be able to ask questions and get answers from knowldgeable peers.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Well you got helpful advice, and answers to your questions, and sometimes people here use snark. You know, like in the real world.

If the return is already in progress and only opened today, then you accepted it. Ebay gives the seller and buyer a few days to figure out if a return is necessary. You're good. Just refund when you get it back.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Buying a part that does not work with what was intended is not buyer's remorse. That term is way over used around here. There is actually only a very small percent of buyers who have "true" buyer's remorse. If you sell computer parts you should expect things like this to happen. I would suggest if you want to continue to sell computer parts to build the cost into your business plan.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Here's my answer to your question: It seems to me you would be well served to read the documents for which I provided links. You've been selling on eBay for a year now, but, based on the questions you've asked in this thread and others you have started, you don't seem to know how eBay works. It is always a good idea to do your due diligence when operating a business. That is accomplished by reading the documents provided by the venue.

You can certainly come here to ask every single question you run up against in your transactions; however, it's like asking how to spell a word. It's always better to look it up yourself. Do your homework. Participate in the Live Broadcasts and Community Chats. That's what the people answering you have done, and it's what you should do too, rather than expecting someone else to do all the heavy lifting. Relying on other people to answer every question for you isn't the best idea for handling your transactions--especially since you don't know whether the responders are giving you correct information; case in point, you seem to have received incorrect information on the accepted format for photos used in item listings.

It might also be a good idea to record some sort of documentation on your transactions, such as whether you have responded to a return request. Not remembering whether you responded to a buyer's return request just a few days ago is unprofessional at best. It's just a good practice for any business to track their transactions. It could mean the difference between a simple return transaction, for example, and a defect on your seller account.

As far as your request for people not to delve into your eBay account: your account is public knowledge. The eBay community has Rules of Engagement, for which I provided a link, and it is perfectly legitimate, and, in fact, appropriate, for people to look at any public information about another poster. If it annoys you to have people look at your listings, your feedback, or anything else publically available, perhaps you might want to consider refraining from posting until you've created a posting id.

Last, I want to express how inappropriate it is for anyone to post a question asking for advice or assistance or help on a discussion board and then become argumentative, defensive, insulting, abrasive, haughty, accusatory, and what some might even consider threatening if other posters are the least bit critical of your position. There is definitely a pattern in the threads in which you have posted. Some of your posts in this thread and others are, frankly, unconscionable, and, if you continue to treat posters in the same vein, you may find that no one here is going to be willing to help you.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Hello everyone,

This thread is getting a bit heated.  Please remember that it’s fine to disagree with others, but discussion should always remain courteous and respectful.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply