cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return for defective item / SNAD that is not actually a SNAD?

I sell new/used/refurbished computer parts. Recently I had a buyer purchase an item that was not actually compatible with his machine although correctly described in my listing. I researched it and found that the item he purchased was not compatible. In any case I accepted the return or eBay automatically accepted the return as SNAD (I forget which). He may or may not have been ignorant whether the part was not compatible at the start of his return request but in any case I explained to him that it was not compatible.

My question is how does eBay differentiate true SNADs from buyer's remorse / people who just bought the wrong item?

Are accepted returns counted toward defects against one's account?

I would like to note I do not use a posting ID on this forums as of yet. This is my real selling ID but I would like people to courteously respect my wish not for them to dig through my account to try to score points or whatever during this discussion. That tends to annoy me.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

OK. I quit the discussion forums. They are a useless waste time. Asking question that merits a yes or no answer and expecting a yes or no answer instead of a mountain of criticism and irrelevant or redundant information is "inappropriate." Ok I quit. I obviously don't fit in here. I will read the docs or call customer support. At least they wont attack me for asking a direct question and expecting a direct answer.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Well they might if they can actually understand what you're asking, or you can understand what they are saying. But I wouldn't necessarily count that you will always receive direct answers. Plan for lots of time for the phone call(s).
Message 17 of 21
latest reply

Asking us not to look into your listings is a sure fire way for people to go look at your listing. No I didn't look but I had to restrain myself.

Dear God, please help me to be
the person my dog thinks I am.
Message 18 of 21
latest reply

@zirkni wrote:

I am pretty sure I accepted. I just have no recollection of doing so. The buyer only opened his return today. I don't believe eBay automatically accepts returns until the buyer-seller negotiation period has elapsed. Am I wrong about that?

eBay message notifying me of the return:

"[buyer] let us know that something is wrong with [product]. As a result, they requested to return the item for a refund."

I assume that that the item was returned under the "eBay Money Back Guarantee." Are'nt these returns automatically accepted by the system?

Incidentally the buyer was nice enough to include photos of his computer in his return request. From his photos I could determine the model of his computer and from the model number, that my product was not compatible with it.

So there is almost certainly nothing wrong with the item...but I don't think it is worth fighting...assuming I don't get a defect because my buyer used the Money Back Guarantee.

You won't if you accept the return. Make sure you do that today(don't count on ebay accepting it for you). Then refund when you get it back.

@coolections wrote:

Buying a part that does not work with what was intended is not buyer's remorse. That term is way over used around here. There is actually only a very small percent of buyers who have "true" buyer's remorse. If you sell computer parts you should expect things like this to happen. I would suggest if you want to continue to sell computer parts to build the cost into your business plan.

Buying a part that doesn't work with what the buyer intended to use it for IS buyers remorse if it never was intended to work in that computer.

If you bought a CPU for a MAC and tried to jam it into a regular PC, do you think anyone would take that CPU back or consider it not as described?

How does eBay differentiate true SNADs from buyer's remorse / people who just bought the wrong item?

They can't, so they don't - and will almost always take the buyer's word. 

Are accepted returns counted toward defects against one's account?

Not if you accept the return and refund without asking eBay to step in. eBay will show you your return rate on your dashboard, but so far they have not used it as a criteria for seller status. 

Message 21 of 21
latest reply