cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recieving Seller Offers for Viewing?

I've noticed that I've been receiving "SELLER OFFERS" for items I've only viewed when doing comps and not "watched". Is this something new? 

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: Recieving Seller Offers for Viewing?

"So, are we now able to make them without watchers? --

If the seller uses Fixed Price, a watcher MAY BE someone who buy it at some point but just not now, ...."

"they are sending offers if you just look at a listing, doesn't matter if you're interested in the item or not. --

Why would you View if you were not interested?"

Maybe they were interested UNTIL they viewed the listing.

Message 31 of 50
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

So, are we now able to make them without watchers?

If the seller uses Fixed Price, a watcher is someone who isn't going to buy, or they already would have.

Not at all true.  As a seller I get a decent percent of takers on my sent offers so clearly those people wanted to buy, but either the price was just a bit too high or they put it on watch but then forgot about it until my offer reminded them.  

As a buyer (and I've seen other buyers say this), when I see a fixed price item that is priced too high and doesn't have 'make offer' enabled, I may put it on watch just to see if the price comes down later, or if I'll get an offer from the seller.  If I do get an offer but it's just a piddly 5% off or something, then I realize their expectations are far too high for me, so I un-watch the item at that point.  

-For my listings, I do enable 'make offer' on most of them, and I use the auto-reject and auto accept features, in fact I make those the SAME amount (I don't see the point of a "maybe" range).  So, if someone makes an offer below my minimum they get an automatic 'no' and I don't even have to know about, but if their offer is above minimum they get an immediate YES and the item is SOLD.   But here's the funny part: for some reason, there are buyers who just apparently don't make offers, rather they just put the item on watch and wait to receive a seller offer.  

Quite often I will send an offer that isn't even as low as my auto-accept minimum, and someone will take it!  This happened just a couple hours ago.  I had this fixed priced at $479.95 but the auto-accept amount was $400.  It's been listed for almost a week and I was getting sick of seeing it on the 'Add Item Specifics!" thing on my home page every time I logged in, so today when I realized it had 8 watchers I figured it was time to try sending an offer.  I got a taker in 2 or 3 minutes.  But remember, they could have gotten it for $400 if they had just made that offer, ha!  

818CA4BE-C18A-4340-A338-64F636599165_4_5005_c.jpeg

Message 32 of 50
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@gurlcat wrote:

@a-lotta-stuff wrote:

We only buy the same three things on ebay, any other listings we 'open' are ones we want to 'steal' the title and info from so we can list ours for less. When/if we get offers on those items we first message seller and tell them the only interest we had was to undersell them and then let the offer expire.

Wait, what do you have to gain from telling them that?  

I think someone is being 'edgy'.

If someone wrote that to me I'd show them edgy.  🤣 
I source only what I can sell for crazy margins, so I'd appreciate a voluntary heads up from the competition, then have fun dropping my price low enough to wipe the smirk off their face.  If they were really smirky I wouldn't just drop it enough to sell first, but to lower the average sold comp significantly.  -Probably be the last one I'd have available anyway, since I sell mostly one-offs.  

Message 33 of 50
latest reply

I like receiving offers for items I'm thinking about buying and I like sending offers to watchers, since I've had a moderate success rate by doing so.   I do not like to receive offers for items I look at, nor do I want to bug buyers by sending offers if they just looked at my item.   I skip listings on my send offer list that show zero watchers and hope that at least eliminates that, but I'm not sure.

I was hoping to ask about this on the monthly chat, but where the heck is that?

Message 34 of 50
latest reply

The whole thing is quite confusing for me. I don't want offers from items I look at, only items I'm watching. Nor do I want to send offers to buyers who look, but do not watch. I'm not that desperate, but apparently eBay is.

Message 35 of 50
latest reply

We didn't want other people's listings showing up on ours either.  But eBay will do whatever works on "some" buyers even if it ticks off other buyers and all sellers.  

Message 36 of 50
latest reply

I had to check first to make sure I remembered it right - the message with offer had an ebay and not a member address, and ebay messages always make us nervous till we see the subject. So I replied like that.

And as to the 'source only what I can sell for crazy margins' and '... mostly one-offs' part ... we do same so 'you is us.'

Message 37 of 50
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@ckimodog wrote:

@kensgiftshop 

I get those all the time! I actually got an offer on Cuban Cigars from Cuba, but sold by a US seller!  lol 😁

I reported a few digital items the other day, then received offers on each listing.

Then about 30 minutes later received emails saying the listings had been removed.

If I just reported a listing, why would I want to receive an offer on it, I'm not going to buy it, no matter how good the offer is.

The two actions (looking and reporting) call up two different procedures. Since looking doesn't necessarily mean reporting the two procedures won't be linked; you'll get the offer, then after examination you'll get the notification of take-down. The whole thing of sending offers just for looking is annoying, though, because this is what happens.

Like @gurlcat  I have pretty good luck sending offers to people who are actually watching - it's usually on things I want to move along and in lieu of putting them on sale (season-end, etc.).

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 38 of 50
latest reply

@a-lotta-stuff wrote:

I had to check first to make sure I remembered it right - the message with offer had an ebay and not a member address, and ebay messages always make us nervous till we see the subject. So I replied like that.

I don't understand what you're saying.  Do you think eBay takes it upon themselves to send buyers offers without the sellers' permission?  Have you ever had a buyer "accept an offer" of a reduced price that you never actually authorized?  Can you imagine how furious that would make all of us, and how many sellers they'd lose if they did that?  How would they even determine the amount to offer?   

Even if that's what you thought whenever you've replied saying you were just checking the listing to undersell competitors' prices, what would be the point of THAT?  -Some eBay employee would actually read it with their eyes and ...... do ........ what, as a result????   Sorry your explanation just makes me more puzzled than I was before.  

Message 39 of 50
latest reply

Would this have anything to do with the "Competing Offers" option in preferences? 

Here is a link from the Buyers board:

Communication Preferences> Competing Offers 

Message 40 of 50
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

I was hoping to ask about this on the monthly chat, but where the heck is that?

They retired the monthly chat because a couple hours once a month was too much to spend communicating with us I guess. Now apparently they will only do them when a seller update is released and only answering pre-submitted questions. The announcement was kind of vague.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Retired-Monthly-Chat-with-eBay/Monthly-Chat-Update/m-p/34294877#M30392

BTW Devon replied to three threads earlier today but not this one. Oh well.

Message 41 of 50
latest reply

I got one the other day. Not only did I look at it, I used the "sell similar" button to create my listing. No thanks ebay. I have one of my own already, hence the sell similar. 

Big brother is watching..... 

Message 42 of 50
latest reply

OK, last word on this - Got a message, went to look, address was 'ebay' not seller name - till I notice the subject didn't say 'funds held' or 'item removed' I was nervous - so I took it out on the seller.

And we don't send offers or want them because we don't sell things for the amount 'they' want, we sell them for the amount we want. The real store pays all bills, ebay is 'coffee and cake' money. We do it for fun.

Message 43 of 50
latest reply

I honestly cannot even tell if you're talking about offers sent to you from other sellers or offers from you to buyers anymore.  "funds held" and "item removed". -huhhh???
Just never mind I guess.  

Message 44 of 50
latest reply

I just got offers for 2 different items I looked at ONCE EACH yesterday.  This is totally out of control.  

Message 45 of 50
latest reply