cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received a 1099-k form yesterday from ebay, I haven't sold anything on ebay.

Yesterday I received a 1099-k form from ebay, the only problem is I have never sold any items on ebay.  On the form it says for both the month of june and july of 2021 it says the gross amount of payment/third party network transactions was $822.48. Again I have never sold nor listed anything for sale on ebay before. I checked my transactions for those two months and I made four purchases that totaled $360. So I am not sure why I am getting this form. Is this a scam? 

Message 1 of 110
latest reply
109 REPLIES 109

Re: Received a 1099-k form yesterday from ebay, I haven't sold anything on ebay.

Same thing here, but less severe. The tax form I got really only has my last name and address correct. Everything else isn't related to me. TIN/SS isn't mine, First name is spelled wrong and the account number isn't mine. I called Ebay but they weren't very helpful. Basically just said it was a mistake on their end and that my account is only used for buying which it is so I don't need to worry about the form. Seems strange. My theory is some seller must have used my address and name to create a bogus account to sell their stuff? Whoever it was sold 89 of something for $3,644 and change in May of last year. Nothing before or after that. 

Message 76 of 110
latest reply

Re: Received a 1099-k form yesterday from ebay, I haven't sold anything on ebay.

Yup that's my thought aswell. I was initially pretty freaked out about it, but as I looked things over I realized that the only reason I got that tax form at all was because someone got my address which could have been any of the sellers I've bought from. They could have put booogalloo as the name on the address and I've have received it.  Nothing else about the info on the form actually affects me. TIN/SS isn't mine, Ebay account number (which if anyone is wondering is just your ebay account name)  isn't mine, even my first name is spelled wrong. If the SS numbers matched up then we'd have a real problem but these are mostly likely, like you said just fraud accounts made using random billing address and fake SS numbers. 

Message 77 of 110
latest reply

Since the SSN or TIN does not match yours, you do not have to worry about the IRS coming after you.

The eBay advice to "ignore it" is valid.

Message 78 of 110
latest reply

tyler@ebay  velvet@ebay  - I know this week is crazy with the seller update, but could you please pump this one up the ladder?

Between the community, social media, and several people who have reached out to me directly, I've observed over 50 reports so far of people who either have never sold anything on eBay and/or have never knowingly set up an account receiving 1099Ks from eBay.

Message 79 of 110
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

tyler@ebay  velvet@ebay  - I know this week is crazy with the seller update, but could you please pump this one up the ladder?

Between the community, social media, and several people who have reached out to me directly, I've observed over 50 reports so far of people who either have never sold anything on eBay and/or have never knowingly set up an account receiving 1099Ks from eBay.

Hi @valueaddedresource! We've reached out for additional information on this and were told that if a member reports that they do not sell on eBay and some one may have used their info, creating a 1099-K form, then they should contact Customer Support for further assistance. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 80 of 110
latest reply

Same thing has happened to me twice. One yesterday and one today. They actually have the last 4 digits of my social security number. I do have an Ebay account, but have never sold anything, ever.

Message 81 of 110
latest reply

I've received 2 1099's from Ebay commerce and after calling and talking to some foreigner, I have no faith in Ebay to take care of this. How do I get this resolved? I have never sold anything, and they have my social security number on the form. What can I do? Has Ebay become this careless with peoples Social security numbers? I see major lawsuits coming your way!!

Message 82 of 110
latest reply

ID theft is what you seem to be claiming,  Such is some one is using your information to sell on ebay.

Contact law enforcement and ask them what to do about such.

Message 83 of 110
latest reply

@gredenni0 wrote:

I've received 2 1099's from Ebay commerce and after calling and talking to some foreigner, I have no faith in Ebay to take care of this. How do I get this resolved? I have never sold anything, and they have my social security number on the form. What can I do? Has Ebay become this careless with peoples Social security numbers? I see major lawsuits coming your way!!

If they have your social its a much bigger issue. You need to contact law enforcement and Social Security. You should also put blocks on your credit activity to prevent anyone but you from using your info to gets loans.

Message 84 of 110
latest reply

good luck E Bay CS is useless try this # 408 376 4700 e bay commerce inc I have never done any business with e bay and still received a 1099 for $25,000 never buy from E Bay or use Pay Pal BOYCOT them

Message 85 of 110
latest reply

velvet@ebay 

Are you saying there isn't an ebay database problem, and all these reports are fraud?

Message 86 of 110
latest reply

@carlqsportscards wrote:

velvet@ebay 

Are you saying there isn't an ebay database problem, and all these reports are fraud?

Hey @carlqsportscards! I addressed the appropriate action to take in this post. Thanks!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 87 of 110
latest reply

I recently got a form as well. This one matches my last four social. I am so scared, what do I do ? Username is wrong though.

Message 88 of 110
latest reply

We recieved a 1099 from Ebay it had my wife's maiden name,real last 4 SS digits over $46,000 dollars in sales, she never had an account. If took me an hour to find a fraud# to call. There was a real Ebay account, but customer service would not provide even an email stating we disputed selling anything.. I fear Ebay won't take the right action with the IRS. I've contacted law enforcement and called my lawyer. 

Message 89 of 110
latest reply

@elmerflores7 wrote:

I recently got a form as well. This one matches my last four social. I am so scared, what do I do ? Username is wrong though.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Received-a-1099-k-form-yesterday-from-ebay-I-haven-t-sold/m-p/...

Read, follow instructions.

Message 90 of 110
latest reply