cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received a 1099-k form yesterday from ebay, I haven't sold anything on ebay.

Yesterday I received a 1099-k form from ebay, the only problem is I have never sold any items on ebay.  On the form it says for both the month of june and july of 2021 it says the gross amount of payment/third party network transactions was $822.48. Again I have never sold nor listed anything for sale on ebay before. I checked my transactions for those two months and I made four purchases that totaled $360. So I am not sure why I am getting this form. Is this a scam? 

Message 1 of 110
latest reply
109 REPLIES 109

Re: Received a 1099-k form yesterday from ebay, I haven't sold anything on ebay.

UNFORTUNATELY EBAY IS A SCAM BY DEFINITION

Message 106 of 110
latest reply

Re: Received a 1099-k form yesterday from ebay, I haven't sold anything on ebay.

So here's a wrinkle which suggests this is NOT a database error, but actually a glaring weakness in eBay's cybersecurity efforts: For almost all of last year, we received "eBay returns" for items we never sold. We figured it was someone overseas trying to avoid shipping charges associated with returns. We typically laughed it off and dumped the items in the trash. We're not laughing anymore. NOW we know it was a scheme to avoid paying taxes... And they sold a LOT under our name. The 1099-K (which just came in the mail today) has our correct address and SSN.

Message 107 of 110
latest reply

@fishbowl4 wrote:

So here's a wrinkle which suggests this is NOT a database error, but actually a glaring weakness in eBay's cybersecurity efforts: For almost all of last year, we received "eBay returns" for items we never sold. We figured it was someone overseas trying to avoid shipping charges associated with returns. We typically laughed it off and dumped the items in the trash. We're not laughing anymore. NOW we know it was a scheme to avoid paying taxes... And they sold a LOT under our name. The 1099-K (which just came in the mail today) has our correct address and SSN.

@fishbowl4 this topic is a year old but you're exactly right that's what was happening last year and still appears to be happening this year.

I saw multiple reports last year from people whose identities had been stolen and used to create fraudulent accounts here say that they had also received odd return packages just like you.

I'd suggest reaching out to eBay support at AskeBay on Twitter or eBay For Business on Facebook or following the information on this help page - I know it's not a "hacked account" exactly, but following those instructions should get you to the Trust and Safety department.

https://www.ebay.com/help/account/protecting-account/securing-account?id=4196 

You'll also want to contact the IRS to report identity theft if you haven't already

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/taxpayer-guide-to-identity-theft 

And it wouldn't be a bad idea to report it to the FTC as well.

https://www.identitytheft.gov/#/ 

Message 108 of 110
latest reply

@fishbowl4 wrote:

Someone stole your identity and used it to register as a seller, they would have had to use the same info to open a bank account since the seller name and bank must match (exactly) and if they do not then the account will never be set up completely and no money would ever be paid out.

eBay can confirm that the SSN is valid and matches the name but that is all they can do.

@valueaddedresource 

Tagging since you seem to be tracking these.

Message 109 of 110
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding. 

Message 110 of 110
latest reply