cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received a 1099-k form yesterday from ebay, I haven't sold anything on ebay.

Yesterday I received a 1099-k form from ebay, the only problem is I have never sold any items on ebay.  On the form it says for both the month of june and july of 2021 it says the gross amount of payment/third party network transactions was $822.48. Again I have never sold nor listed anything for sale on ebay before. I checked my transactions for those two months and I made four purchases that totaled $360. So I am not sure why I am getting this form. Is this a scam? 

Message 1 of 110
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@valueaddedresource wrote:

tyler@ebay  velvet@ebay  - I know this week is crazy with the seller update, but could you please pump this one up the ladder?

Between the community, social media, and several people who have reached out to me directly, I've observed over 50 reports so far of people who either have never sold anything on eBay and/or have never knowingly set up an account receiving 1099Ks from eBay.

Hi @valueaddedresource! We've reached out for additional information on this and were told that if a member reports that they do not sell on eBay and some one may have used their info, creating a 1099-K form, then they should contact Customer Support for further assistance. 

Velvet,
eBay

View Best Answer in original post

Message 80 of 110
latest reply
109 REPLIES 109

That's crazy?  You should contact EBAY because that 1099-K also gets reported to the IRS.  How would EBAY get your name and SS# if you didn't register as a seller?   Did someone in your family use your EBAY account to register as seller?

Message 2 of 110
latest reply

None of my family members are on ebay or sell things on ebay.  Not sure what is going on with this.

Also on the letter this is the customer support number they have listed for ebay, 800-456-3229. Is that even the real customer support number?

Message 3 of 110
latest reply

That is really weird - not even certain there is a phone number where you can call e-Bay currently.

(8) eBay for Business | Facebook

If you have facebook, reach out to e-Bay CS there and see if they can help you.  Message button in the upper right on the landing page - send them a private message.  Explain you are only a Buyer and received a 1099-k.

Lots of issues with the 1099-Ks these past few days.  What a mess!  Good luck!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 4 of 110
latest reply

I have to confess that out of the 100's of postings related to the 1099 fiasco this is a new one and probably the strangest one I have seen yet. As others suggested contact eBay through the FB site and report the issue. If they are unable to resolve the issue, or even if they do, I would contact the IRS no later than 28 February to report the anomaly. If you received one then eBay is also going to send a copy of that to the IRS. 

Message 5 of 110
latest reply

@better_night47 wrote:

None of my family members are on ebay or sell things on ebay.  Not sure what is going on with this.

Also on the letter this is the customer support number they have listed for ebay, 800-456-3229. Is that even the real customer support number?

I have no idea why someone who has never sold an item received a 1099K form. 

But I will say that my 1099K does have that same phone number in the lower left in the box entitled PSE'S name and telephone number. The box below (that I've redacted in red) shows the seller ID of the account. 

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 12.28.23 AM.png

@better_night47 - does that box have your ID? 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 110
latest reply

No that box doesn't have my seller ID it is someone else's. 

Message 7 of 110
latest reply

@better_night47 wrote:

No that box doesn't have my seller ID it is someone else's. 

But the rest of the form is your name, your address, your  SS# (last 4 digits)?

albertabrightalberta

Message 8 of 110
latest reply

It is my name and address but if by SS#  you mean the payee's tin number than no it is not the last four of my SS#. 

Message 9 of 110
latest reply

@better_night47 wrote:

It is my name and address but if by SS#  you mean the payee's tin number than no it is not the last four of my SS#. 

With a different seller ID and different last 4 digits, they have the wrong person's name and address linked to the ID that should have received the tax form.

I have no idea who to contact. 

@Anonymous 

albertabrightalberta

Message 10 of 110
latest reply

Yeah no clue, I sent them a message through FB site to see if I get a response. Thanks anyways, hopefully they get back to me in the morning. Thank you!

Message 11 of 110
latest reply

@better_night47  - I've seen two other similar reports on Twitter, people who say they don't even have an eBay account are saying they received a 1099-K from eBay.

My gut instinct (keep in mind this is just a guess on my part) - it may be related to some of the hijacked account takeover fraud that is happening on the platform, like triangulation fraud for example.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Warning-Retail-Arbitrage-Credit-Card-Fraud/td-p/30822324

My guess is it may be possible that fraudsters have either compromised and used people's accounts to sell items and/or may be using stolen Personal Identifiable Information (PII) to create fake accounts or provide fake payment info to eBay.

For help from eBay with a hacked account go here - https://www.ebay.com/help/account/protecting-account/securing-account?id=4196 

And here are some resources from the IRS about what to do if you are a victim of tax related identity theft.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/taxpayer-guide-to-identity-theft 

Message 12 of 110
latest reply

This happened to me today! I do not have an eBay account and have never sold anything and it says all the transactions happened in September. It’s my name and actually an old address, but not last 4 of social or account name. Did you get a reply from eBay?

Message 13 of 110
latest reply

I also got a 1099-K today and I also have never sold anything at all on eBay.  Never.

"Payee's TIN" does not match my SSN.

An account number is shown, but I was not aware of even having an account on eBay at all  (except for the one I created today in order to pursue this issue).  

I'm shown as receiving $1,976 in June (nothing for rest of year), and the number of transactions is shown as 21.

Again, I have never sold or bought anything on eBay.

Trying to get a call back from an agent, but it's not happening so far.

Message 14 of 110
latest reply

Wow.  This is a mess.....

Hope they get this sorted out soon.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 15 of 110
latest reply