cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Might get me in the doghouse but I'd like to know

While searching eBay for gemstone chip beads I discovered something I found interesting and curious.

These are item numbers of some of the listings I considered purchasing from:

Of these six listing five have the usual sponsored ads appearing.  One does not.  After looking at that particular sellers store listings I am curious as to why the special treatment of no sponsored ads like the rest of us ? 

(I also found a small volume seller of beads with no sponsored ads).

I don't want to create a ruckus but I'd really like to know how the rest of us sellers can enjoy ad free listings too?  

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

One of the item numbers you listed goes to an "item not found" page. When I checked the others, one didn't have ads from other sellers but I don't know if it's the same item where you found no other ads. When I looked at the listings that did have ads and clicked on "See other items," I found their other items had no ads. So listings for all these sellers show without ads at least some time.

Do you have a hypothesis as to why one seller might be different? Have you checked other sellers that share that differentiating characteristic to test your hypothesis that sellers with that particular characteristic are treated differently?

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

No hypothesis, I'm just very curious as to why that one seller didn't have ads on any of their listings when other sellers selling gemstone chips do. I honestly don't know why the majority of us sellers have ads all over our listings but apparently some sellers don't.  Why don't all listings contain sponsored and suggested item ads like mine, and yours, and probably most everybody reading this.

I don't begrudge them the privilege of having clean listings uncluttered with ads.  No competing ads vying for potential buyers attention to lure them away from what you're selling.  We would all like that.  I'm curious to know why they are given that privilege when the rest of us aren't.  With all the promoted ads by sellers I was quite surprised to find any listing that did not contain them.

When I looked at the other listings offered by five of the buyers in their eBay store they all had ads appearing on each of their listings. 

(As did many other listings I looked at, including those seller's stores,  but did not note one their item numbers above as it would have been example overkill).   

The one without ads on the listing I found in search had no ads whatsoever showing on listings within their eBay store. 

As I mentioned I also found another seller of gemstone chip beads in my original search without ads appearing on her listings either. None on the listing returned by Search and none on any listing within her eBay store.  That smaller seller offers more than just beads in her store.  I did not post one of her item numbers as I believe she may frequent these boards and did not want to bring undue attention to her listings. 

Are they listings offered by eBay employees?  Who knows. I'm just curious.

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

If you don't pay to promote your listings, you won't have sponsored ads showing on your listings

Have a great day
Message 4 of 32
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

If you don't pay to promote your listings, you won't have sponsored ads showing on your listings

@kensgiftshop that has not been true since 2019 when eBay quietly killed the opt out function of "cross promotion".

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

@b86fiero I've also noticed all of the listings for a major brand toy/game company have zero PL ads shown as well.

I've suspected that may have been a favor after a major snafu in 2019 caused massive overselling of some products from that brand's eBay store, resulting in lawsuits and a tarnitioned image for both them and eBay....but I have no way to prove it. 😉

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

I thought all listings showed sponsored ads that's why I was surprised to find a couple that didn't.  

I recall posts from sellers when PL was first launched complaining ads were showing on their listings when they weren't using PL themselves. 

So to not have sponsored ads appearing on my listings I would have to remove any and all promotions and take my chances that a buyer could find them in search.

Thanks for the insight. 

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

@b86fiero wrote:

I thought all listings showed sponsored ads that's why I was surprised to find a couple that didn't.  

I recall posts from sellers when PL was first launched complaining ads were showing on their listings when they weren't using PL themselves. 

So to not have sponsored ads appearing on my listings I would have to remove any and all promotions and take my chances that a buyer could find them in search.

Thanks for the insight. 

@b86fiero  sorry but that is incorrect info, that's how it used to work but not since 2019.

Previously "cross promotion" was a quid pro quo, voluntary program.

You could opt in to have your listings promoted on other sellers' listings that had opted in, but in return you would have other sellers' listings promoted on yours as well. 

Or you could choose not to opt in, and forgo the possible "bump" from being cross promoted, but also then not have any other sellers' items shown on your listings.

They killed that opt out option in 2019 and the modern version of Promoted Listings is not voluntary and there is no (publicly advertised) way to opt out of having ads shown on listing pages.

I don't know why some sellers don't have them but it is definitely not an option that is available to all.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

I do recall the mess up in 2019 as it was reported in offsite news blogs.

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

Thanks for your reply. You are correct. I do recall the hoopla created when eBay ended the "cross promotion opt out" option. Much seller angst ensued and the selling board lit up with complaints.

So now I'm back to still curious and still wondering why some "from all appearances regular sellers" don't have sponsored ads on their listings.  Neither of the two I noted are national chains or high volume sellers.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@b86fiero wrote:

Thanks for the insight. 

@b86fiero  sorry but that is incorrect info, that's how it used to work but not since 2019.

Previously "cross promotion" was a quid pro quo, voluntary program.

You could opt in to have your listings promoted on other sellers' listings that had opted in, but in return you would have other sellers' listings promoted on yours as well. 

Or you could choose not to opt in, and forgo the possible "bump" from being cross promoted, but also then not have any other sellers' items shown on your listings.

They killed that opt out option in 2019 and the modern version of Promoted Listings is not voluntary and there is no (publicly advertised) way to opt out of having ads shown on listing pages.

I don't know why some sellers don't have them but it is definitely not an option that is available to all.

When I stopped promoting my listings years ago, I've never had any other ads on my listings.

Have a great day
Message 11 of 32
latest reply

kensgiftshop,

I just looked at two of your mug listings and yes, you do have sponsored ads appearing on your listings.

When you look at your listings you don't see them.  eBay does not show you ads on your own listings. Same as I don't see them on mine but do see them on others.

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

When I stopped promoting my listings years ago, I've never had any other ads on my listings.

Use a different browser or private browsing window not logged in to eBay. You'll see ads on your listings if not logged in to your selling account.

(Assuming nothing else to interfere like browser plug ins.)

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 13 of 32
latest reply

I had actually asked in the November monthly chat if eBay would ever consider an "ad free subscription" option where sellers could pay a monthly fee to remove PL ads from listings.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Monthly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Monthly-Chat-November-9th-at-1-00-pm-PT/m... 

Maybe they already have something like that but it's invite only? Or maybe somehow some accounts were "grandfathered in" back when they took away the option to opt out?

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

Those that 'sponsor' don't get 'similar sponsored items' (which is OTHER sellers items) across their listings BEFORE the written description; when they DO get them, it's below the written description and are items by the same seller, and states 'other sponsored items from this seller'. 

Message 15 of 32
latest reply