cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received Return request saying 'item not working' on New item with warranty

Hi Guys,

I sold new item that was never opened, in original package and moreover it comes with manufacturer warranty and I received return request. Buyer clams it doesn't work, which is hard to believe since it was brand new and never opened.

There's slight chance the product he/she bought is incompatible with their hardware (its hardware part), but even so that shouldn't be a ground for return.

My listing says 'returns not accepted'.

But there's no even such option to decline the return request!

I replied to buyer, but ebay gives few days to respond to return request, and my reply doesn't seem to count as respond.

What will happen if I don't take any action besides replying to buyer?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 123
latest reply
122 REPLIES 122

Re: Received Return request saying 'item not working' on New item with warranty

Thanks Jen! 🙂
Message 106 of 123
latest reply

I think I’m a little late to this thread.

Message 107 of 123
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@stridder123

@stridder123 wrote:

Thanks!

Sounds horrible, especially being charged seller fee after ebay steals your money. Why you guys still selling here??

So whats my best strategy? Buyer just started return request today, can wait for a couple days

Don't wanna loose both item sold and money:(

I guess I will delete all my other listings just in case

I read your original post, a number of replies and got to this one.  Don't overract and fold up your tent.  Retail sales, regardless of the venue (online of brick & mortor stores) come with a certain % of returns, period.  Its part of the cost of doing business.  One thing you could have done if you offered Free Returns was only Refund a part of the original sale instead of the whole thing.  Buyers are liable to research what they purchase and I am sure you would certainly answer any tech questions on the item to make sure its the right piece AND will work with the Buyer's system right?  You ARE an expert on it right?

As to not accepting returns ... I still have NO CLUE why eBay still has that bogus setting on the site ... it is SO easy to circumvent.  As to Sellers using it, are they saying, "I want you to buy my item and keep it regardless of what you get or what happens after you get it, I just want your money and not your issues" or "I don't want this item back so if it doesn't work out you can keep it but I won't be refunding you." ??????  eBay is all about easy returns for Buyers, so again, the choice to not accept returns is ridiculous, sorry but it is.

1) I'm not doing business here. I was selling one single pack which I bought for myself. Any time I buy a part for PC I do research for weeks, and ask advise on professional forums. One has to do research before buying any PC part, otherwise anybody could open computer store and sell them.

2) The choice 'No returns' exist, and its super misleading now. It should be there - is just your phylosophy. 

3) I sold it way cheaper than other listings for same part just b/c I though 'No returns' means 'No returns'. If I new how things actually work - wouldn't even post it here.

Its ridiculous that ebay even allow to submit a return request for 'No returns' listing!

Message 108 of 123
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

@stridder123 wrote:

brian@ebay

How should I proceed if memory modules appear to be good? Buyer return is says 'defective or not working'. Incompatability e.g. with buyer hardware is not 'defective or not working', and thus abuse of return policy.

They are used now, so I loose money b/c of this and shipping cost in both ways

You can file an appeal to get the return shipping cost back.

Could you point to a page that describes how it works?

Message 109 of 123
latest reply

I’m sorry I don’t believe there is a help page for this. We were informed by the eBay employees that post here, as well as by customer service that in a false SNAD scenario, which is what this is (buyer is lying and saying item is not as described, seller gets it back and it’s exactly as described), that the seller has to refund in full when he gets the item back and he can then file an appeal and eBay should then refund the return shipping cost. There should be an appeal link somewhere in the return case. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 110 of 123
latest reply

ebay must have changed their policy use to be no response from the seller ebay issued a refund and buyer was allowed to keep the item and if seller happen to question how they could get their item back CS told them sorry case is closed you'll need to contact buyer and make arrangements with them to get your item returned....

Message 111 of 123
latest reply

6 pages and another seller who doesn't like the information relayed to him who goes and digs himself a bigger hole. What a waste of peoples time and energy.

Mind you - this was a low feedback seller with a couple of items thrown up - selling RAM - highly scammable. If he bought and decided not to use it - as long as it was sealed - why ddn't he just return it to where he bought it? Problem solved - Ebay is not involved.

TY jen and Brian - for your understanding and expalnation of policy.

Message 112 of 123
latest reply

@stridder123 wrote:

Thank you

Buyer doesn't claim anything like 'the item not as described'. Buyer claims it doesn't work with their hardware.

Is there anything I can do or seller is always assumed 'At fault' on ebay no matter what?

If so, I will just stop selling on ebay (I sell once in half a year here), thus my seller rating doesn't really matter anymore

'Your no returns policy is for reasons of buyers remorse' - what this actually means?

If it doesn't work with their hardware, it doesn't work.  Accept the return and ask the buyer to ship it back.  Why beat your head against the wall?  Retail involves some level of risk.  Just take the loss and move on. 

Message 113 of 123
latest reply

@stridder123 wrote:

Hi Guys,

I sold new item that was never opened, in original package and moreover it comes with manufacturer warranty and I received return request. Buyer clams it doesn't work, which is hard to believe since it was brand new and never opened.

There's slight chance the product he/she bought is incompatible with their hardware (its hardware part), but even so that shouldn't be a ground for return.

I replied to buyer, but ebay gives few days to respond to return request, and my reply doesn't seem to count as respond.

Thanks!

You will be required to take the return and make the refund. Buyer is expected to get a working item and did not.
Resolve the issue and take the return and make the refund before it further damages your seller performace ratings...and ebay makes the refund for you and you possibly lose the item too.
You can choose to have a no return policy but know that doesn't really exist. Read ebay's money back guarantee or PayPal buyer protection policies.

Message 114 of 123
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

I’m sorry I don’t believe there is a help page for this. We were informed by the eBay employees that post here, as well as by customer service that in a false SNAD scenario, which is what this is (buyer is lying and saying item is not as described, seller gets it back and it’s exactly as described), that the seller has to refund in full when he gets the item back and he can then file an appeal and eBay should then refund the return shipping cost. There should be an appeal link somewhere in the return case. 

Thanks for the info, @missjen831@stridder123, I know this has been an upsetting situation for you. If you do get the RAM back and it's working just fine then please feel free to tag me in this thread. I'll be happy to send your case to the claims team so an appeal to get return shipping costs back. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 115 of 123
latest reply

I'm going to select upgrader....

Message 116 of 123
latest reply

@everything-from-trinkets-to-treasures wrote:

@stridder123 wrote:

Hi Guys,

Thanks!

You will be required to take the return and make the refund. Buyer is expected to get a working item and did not.
Resolve the issue and take the return and make the refund before it further damages your seller performace ratings...and ebay makes the refund for you and you possibly lose the item too.
You can choose to have a no return policy but know that doesn't really exist. Read ebay's money back guarantee or PayPal buyer protection policies.

How about you read the thread first?

Message 117 of 123
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

6 pages and another seller who doesn't like the information relayed to him who goes and digs himself a bigger hole. What a waste of peoples time and energy.

Mind you - this was a low feedback seller with a couple of items thrown up - selling RAM - highly scammable. If he bought and decided not to use it - as long as it was sealed - why ddn't he just return it to where he bought it? Problem solved - Ebay is not involved.

TY jen and Brian - for your understanding and expalnation of policy.

right. 6 pages, and you haven't read any of them

Message 118 of 123
latest reply

stridder you just have to be mellow and wait until item arrives back. Some folks just post to push someones button getting a poster upset is kind of a victory for them. Just relax wait on the items return and then go from there....

Message 119 of 123
latest reply

@clu3 wrote:

@stridder123 wrote:

Thank you

Buyer doesn't claim anything like 'the item not as described'. Buyer claims it doesn't work with their hardware.

Is there anything I can do or seller is always assumed 'At fault' on ebay no matter what?

If so, I will just stop selling on ebay (I sell once in half a year here), thus my seller rating doesn't really matter anymore

'Your no returns policy is for reasons of buyers remorse' - what this actually means?

If it doesn't work with their hardware, it doesn't work.  Accept the return and ask the buyer to ship it back.  Why beat your head against the wall?  Retail involves some level of risk.  Just take the loss and move on. 

Really?:) There're memory slots standards that doesn't even physically fit into each other:)

Go to hardware forum and see how many people are complaining about incompatibility. I'll move on, just seek of people that never assembled a PC giving advises;)

Message 120 of 123
latest reply