cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received Return request saying 'item not working' on New item with warranty

Hi Guys,

I sold new item that was never opened, in original package and moreover it comes with manufacturer warranty and I received return request. Buyer clams it doesn't work, which is hard to believe since it was brand new and never opened.

There's slight chance the product he/she bought is incompatible with their hardware (its hardware part), but even so that shouldn't be a ground for return.

My listing says 'returns not accepted'.

But there's no even such option to decline the return request!

I replied to buyer, but ebay gives few days to respond to return request, and my reply doesn't seem to count as respond.

What will happen if I don't take any action besides replying to buyer?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 123
latest reply
122 REPLIES 122

Re: Received Return request saying 'item not working' on New item with warranty

Returns and Refunds are not the same thing.

A return involves the merchandise.

A refund involves the money.

Your policy states "No Returns"

It does not state "No Refunds"

Just pointing out some ebay caveats.

I sell here because I have chosen to learn the ropes and I accept someone else's leadership as my own.

Or perhaps...

Self-employment is a skill that will teach you to work for free and like it.

Message 31 of 123
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

Buyers can still file a remorse return when the seller has a no return policy. It’s not blocked. The return request goes through and the seller gets the usual response options plus the option to decline the return 🙂

The way that is phrased it may lead the seller to believe they are off the hook by simply declining the return, that in fact could be dangerous advice if the seller had not intended to allow the buyer to keep the item because of application behavior ...

To define application behavior one should understand ebay as a computer program that is designed to behave in certain ways, in short it responds to user input and in this case will formulate a response according to input given by both the seller, the buyer, and ultimately what the software was originally designed to do.

Because of that...

The MBG overrides the no returns policy, by declining the return it simply allows the buyer to escalate and ebay refunds their money plus they keep the item... 

That is what the software will tell the program to do.

Nobody can do anything about that, not even the CS.

Therefore...

A seller's best "winning" strategy in any case is to always reply with:

Dear Buyer,

I am so sorry you are experiencing the problem with this item, please do return it for a full refund.

Thank you,

Seller

It also helps to accept returns in the first place, this greatly facilitates the application in behaving appropriately in the above scenario. You see, unfortunately the coding doesn't cover returns in a "no returns" scenario, it makes a strange sort of sense... It's like black and white, the status is "returns not accepted" and that is what the software recognizes, a seller now attempting to accept a return anyway is likely to face an uncooperative piece of software (specifically, ebay does not automatically issue a return label upon acceptance, at least it didn't use to and I'm not about to risk one of my items to "test" this scenario but if anyone's up to it I'd love to hear all about the outcome).

Message 32 of 123
latest reply

@sg51 wrote:

Its possible. But 1) there's warranty. I even offered buyer to help with warranty - no response yet. Item is high quality from good brand (one of the best on the market)

2) Its WAY WAY MORE LIKELY buyer bought smth incompatible with what he has.

So let's say your guess is correct.

Buyer can choose to return it to you, and know for absolute certainty that the return will succeed.  If you're smart, you will accept the return and quickly refund upon return. If you're not smart, eBay will refund, and you'll be in for a truckload of grief.

Or, buyer can try the warranty, and wonder how that might go.

Which would you choose if you were buyer?

Of course for buyer its easier to just abuse the right to return. But seller can leave bad feedback and/or click report buyer button. Don't know if anybody at ebay cares though

That buyer have good feedback and ebay account for many years, so I guess he would care

Message 33 of 123
latest reply

@sidemouse wrote:

@missjen831 wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

Buyers can still file a remorse return when the seller has a no return policy. It’s not blocked. The return request goes through and the seller gets the usual response options plus the option to decline the return 🙂

The way that is phrased it may lead the seller to believe they are off the hook by simply declining the return, that in fact could be dangerous advice if the seller had not intended to allow the buyer to keep the item because of application behavior ...

To define application behavior one should understand ebay as a computer program that is designed to behave in certain ways, in short it responds to user input and in this case will formulate a response according to input given by both the seller, the buyer, and ultimately what the software was originally designed to do.

Because of that...

The MBG overrides the no returns policy, by declining the return it simply allows the buyer to escalate and ebay refunds their money plus they keep the item... 

Therefore...

Dear Buyer,

I am so sorry you are experiencing the problem with this item, please do return it for a full refund.

Thank you,

Seller

It also helps to accept returns in the first place, this greatly facilitates the application in behaving appropriately in the above scenario. You see, unfortunately the coding doesn't cover returns in a "no returns" scenario, it makes a strange sort of sense... It's like black and white, the status is "returns not accepted" and that is what the software recognizes, a seller now attempting to accept a return anyway is likely to face an uncooperative piece of software (specifically, ebay does not automatically issue a return label upon acceptance, at least it didn't use to and I'm not about to risk one of my items to "test" this scenario but if anyone's up to it I'd love to hear all about the outcome).

Thank you. Now I'm totally confused...

Anybody tried accepting return for listing with 'no returns'?

Message 34 of 123
latest reply

@stridder123 wrote:

To my understanding the seller can accept the return, however the application does not automatically issue a label... Instead the seller has to generate a label and send it to the buyer (one way to do this is to make the label into an image and then either send it through a message or formulate it as a 'response' into the case / return) but there's still risk...

One has to hope at this stage the buyer is honest...

If so then the buyer returns the merchandise and things proceed as intended.

However the application can issue the refund whether the item is returned or not (because of the MBG).

This behavior is specific to "no returns accepted" scenarios.

Message 35 of 123
latest reply

@stridder123 wrote:

@sidemouse wrote:

@missjen831 wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

Because of that...

Therefore...

Dear Buyer,

Thank you,

Seller

There is some incorrect information being give to you. You can accept a return when the listing has “no returns” as the return policy. You aren’t blocked from anything when you have a no returns policy. You can accept the return or you can issue a refund and let the buyer keep the item. You can offer a partial refund too. And a no returns policy does NOT mean the buyer keeps the item and gets a refund. If the return is escalated, a no returns policy does NOT mean the buyer gets an immediate refund and gets to keep the item. All this talk about coding is completely incorrect. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 36 of 123
latest reply

@sidemouse wrote:

@stridder123 wrote:

To my understanding the seller can accept the return, however the application does not automatically issue a label... Instead the seller has to generate a label and send it to the buyer (one way to do this is to make the label into an image and then either send it through a message or formulate it as a 'response' into the case / return) but there's still risk...

However the application can issue the refund whether the item is returned or not (because of the MBG).

A return label is issued no matter what the sellers return policy is. A no returns policy does not prevent a label from being issued. The system can and will issue a label. No matter what the sellers return policy is. The seller doesn’t have to issue the label themselves. If the seller doesn’t accept the return and eBay steps in, they automatically issue a label. If the seller accepts the return, they have the choice of having eBay issue a label or they can provide their own. 

tyler@ebay brian@ebay can you please assist us here, there’s some serious misconceptions bere. Thank you. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 37 of 123
latest reply

Ebay is no longer a good platform for the casual person just looking to unload stuff from their house for a few extra bucks. It is geared toward big sellers who can somehow try to absorb return losses.

My policy-never sell anything on ebay I can't afford to just give away. There was a time many years ago that I sold horse equipment and saddles valued at hundreds of dollars to $1,000 per item. LMAO HAAAAAAA never ever ever would I consider such a thing the way eBay is now o__O

I recently sold something for $70. Sent it Priority mail, insured with the standard $50 insurance that comes with it. USPS took almost 60 days to deliver it. I had to refund the buyer the $70. I got $50 back from USPS. Had to just eat the $20 plus the ebay fees, plus my item was lost. She did eventually get it but for free. This stuff happens all the time between post office errors and buyers doing returns. It is very risky to sell anything on ebay. 

Message 38 of 123
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

@sidemouse wrote:

@stridder123 wrote:

A return label is issued no matter what the sellers return policy is. A no returns policy does not prevent a label from being issued. The system can and will issue a label. No matter what the sellers return policy is. The seller doesn’t have to issue the label themselves. If the seller doesn’t accept the return and eBay steps in, they automatically issue a label. If the seller accepts the return, they have the choice of having eBay issue a label or they can provide their own. 

tyler@ebay brian@ebay can you please assist us here, there’s some serious misconceptions bere. Thank you. 

Application behavior does not follow personal interpretation of policy.

Message 39 of 123
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

@stridder123 wrote:

@sidemouse wrote:

@missjen831 wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

Because of that...

Therefore...

Dear Buyer,

Thank you,

Seller

There is some incorrect information being give to you. You can accept a return when the listing has “no returns” as the return policy. You aren’t blocked from anything when you have a no returns policy. You can accept the return or you can issue a refund and let the buyer keep the item. You can offer a partial refund too. And a no returns policy does NOT mean the buyer keeps the item and gets a refund. If the return is escalated, a no returns policy does NOT mean the buyer gets an immediate refund and gets to keep the item. All this talk about coding is completely incorrect. 

Please read carefully, I never stated the return can not be accepted.

If you wish to do further research it is all in the developer's section.

Please point out to us where it covers returns in a No Returns scenario.

https://developer.ebay.com/devzone/guides/ebayfeatures/Development/Post-Order-Returns.html

It is not a difficult scenario, what does no returns mean?

Spoiler:  No returns!

It is very simple, really.

You can try and accept it, the program will let you do that...

But the buyer is under no obligation to do it.

The code does not force the buyer to return the item.

This behavior is specific to "No Returns" sales.

Message 40 of 123
latest reply

@stridder123 wrote:

@sg51 wrote:

Its possible. But 1) there's warranty. I even offered buyer to help with warranty - no response yet. Item is high quality from good brand (one of the best on the market)

Buyer can choose to return it to you, and know for absolute certainty that the return will succeed.  If you're smart, you will accept the return and quickly refund upon return. If you're not smart, eBay will refund, and you'll be in for a truckload of grief.

Of course for buyer its easier to just abuse the right to return. But seller can leave bad feedback and/or click report buyer button. Don't know if anybody at ebay cares though

That buyer have good feedback and ebay account for many years, so I guess he would care

Sellers can`t leave their buyer bad feedback. They also can`t leave a positive feedback with a negative comment. If they do, it could be removed by ebay. If you think the buyer is abusing the returns process you can report them.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 41 of 123
latest reply

Just realized: there are 2 modules in the package. The chances that both don't work are simply ZERO:)

Buyer replied "it does not even turn on my motherboard. Nothing to try. Manufacturer was not contacted. I cannot use it if you do not take it back I will just throw it in the trash. Not comfortable selling it again."

Message 42 of 123
latest reply

My guess would be they had one that didn't work... They would be keeping yours and sending you back the one they already have.  We a pretty sure we've had this happen with beer lights/advertising.  Just a thought... It sucks though... because you aren't protected against that.

Message 43 of 123
latest reply

@hillbillymedia wrote:

@stridder123 wrote:

@sg51 wrote:

Sellers can`t leave their buyer bad feedback. They also can`t leave a positive feedback with a negative comment. If they do, it could be removed by ebay. If you think the buyer is abusing the returns process you can report them.

Thank you. Yes, its pretty clear than returns process is abused.

How long it usually takes for ebay to look into if one reports a buyer?

Is there a chance ebay will look into this within couple days?

Message 44 of 123
latest reply

eBay should look into it and rule against you in less than a day.

Message 45 of 123
latest reply