cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received Return request saying 'item not working' on New item with warranty

Hi Guys,

I sold new item that was never opened, in original package and moreover it comes with manufacturer warranty and I received return request. Buyer clams it doesn't work, which is hard to believe since it was brand new and never opened.

There's slight chance the product he/she bought is incompatible with their hardware (its hardware part), but even so that shouldn't be a ground for return.

My listing says 'returns not accepted'.

But there's no even such option to decline the return request!

I replied to buyer, but ebay gives few days to respond to return request, and my reply doesn't seem to count as respond.

What will happen if I don't take any action besides replying to buyer?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 123
latest reply
122 REPLIES 122

Re: Received Return request saying 'item not working' on New item with warranty

If you don't select return for refund and buyer escaltes the dispute ebay will auto refund them and allow them to keep your merchandise...

Message 2 of 123
latest reply

Your no returns policy is for reasons of buyers remorse.  When a buyer wants to return because the item is not as described the eBay MBG overrides your return policy, and eBay allows those returns.

If you do nothing and the buyer escalated the return request into a case generally ebay will just refund the buyer from your paypal account and instruct the buyer to just destroy the item since it is not as described.

Also your selling account will get a unresolved by seller defect which will count against your selling standard rating.

Here are a couple links to help you understand these policies better.

eBay Simplified Returns

eBay Money Back Guarantee

Seller Performance Standards

Good Luck Selling!

Message 3 of 123
latest reply

Many manufacturers do not honor warrantees on items sold on ebay.If it does not work its on you to make buyer whole and seek warrantee claims when you have it back

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 4 of 123
latest reply

Thank you

Buyer doesn't claim anything like 'the item not as described'. Buyer claims it doesn't work with their hardware.

Is there anything I can do or seller is always assumed 'At fault' on ebay no matter what?

If so, I will just stop selling on ebay (I sell once in half a year here), thus my seller rating doesn't really matter anymore

'Your no returns policy is for reasons of buyers remorse' - what this actually means?

Message 5 of 123
latest reply

Thanks, but I doubt brand new sealed part may not work.

Buyer likely ordered wrong/incompatible part, which is pretty common for computer parts. or who knows what

Message 6 of 123
latest reply

they will take your money to pay for a shipping label

then the day it is scanned that it arrived

they will take the money from you paypal account

then your seller status gets an dent, they will charge you more for seller fees

oh, forgot to mention, still charge you for the cost of the sale final value fees

anyways, this is what just happen to us

Message 7 of 123
latest reply

Thanks!

Sounds horrible, especially being charged seller fee after ebay steals your money. Why you guys still selling here??

So whats my best strategy? Buyer just started return request today, can wait for a couple days

Don't wanna loose both item sold and money:(

I guess I will delete all my other listings just in case

Message 8 of 123
latest reply

Buyer will escalate, they will be refunded and may get to keep the item, and you will get a very serious seller defect, case closed without seller resolution, which can jeopardize your selling privileges.

You can respond return for refund, and you pay return shipping and refund purchase price and original shipping when you get it back.

New in the package item can also be defective. The MBG, get the item you ordered or your money back, overrides your no returns policy so buyers aren't stuck with items that are not as described.

You need to respond to the case before the buyer escalates. Ebay wants you to handle it; they don't want to have to step in for you.
Message 9 of 123
latest reply

@stridder123 wrote:

Thank you

Buyer doesn't claim anything like 'the item not as described'. Buyer claims it doesn't work with their hardware.

Is there anything I can do or seller is always assumed 'At fault' on ebay no matter what?

If so, I will just stop selling on ebay (I sell once in half a year here), thus my seller rating doesn't really matter anymore

'Your no returns policy is for reasons of buyers remorse' - what this actually means?

Buyers remorse, changed my mind, it is not what I thought I was buying, etc.

OP, you can also just refund if you don't care to get the item back or pay return shipping.  Your call.  If you just refund, they keep the item.

Message 10 of 123
latest reply

So sorry this happened to you, OP.

Hang in there.
Message 11 of 123
latest reply

@stridder123 wrote:

Thanks!

Sounds horrible, especially being charged seller fee after ebay steals your money. Why you guys still selling here??

So whats my best strategy? Buyer just started return request today, can wait for a couple days

Don't wanna loose both item sold and money:(

I guess I will delete all my other listings just in case

Deleting all your other items will have no effect on this case, so you might want to leave them up.  Totally your call, though.

Message 12 of 123
latest reply

OP, you can also just refund if you don't care to get the item back or pay return shipping.  Your call.  If you just refund, they keep the item.

Of course I want it back, its very high qualify part from reputable manufacturer with good warranty. Which is why I don't believe it can be damaged out of the box (there's just nothing to brake unless one step on it;). The thing is its open box now, so I won't sell it for anything interesting. Buyer might also lost smth from box.

Message 13 of 123
latest reply

Are you telling us that neither you nor anyone else you know have ever bought a new item that turned out to be defective?

Message 14 of 123
latest reply

Might as well hit return for refund get it over with quick and then if item comes back in a condition it wasn't sold in you can lodge a complaint with ebay for buyers misuse of MBG....

Message 15 of 123
latest reply