cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received Return request saying 'item not working' on New item with warranty

Hi Guys,

I sold new item that was never opened, in original package and moreover it comes with manufacturer warranty and I received return request. Buyer clams it doesn't work, which is hard to believe since it was brand new and never opened.

There's slight chance the product he/she bought is incompatible with their hardware (its hardware part), but even so that shouldn't be a ground for return.

My listing says 'returns not accepted'.

But there's no even such option to decline the return request!

I replied to buyer, but ebay gives few days to respond to return request, and my reply doesn't seem to count as respond.

What will happen if I don't take any action besides replying to buyer?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 123
latest reply
122 REPLIES 122

Re: Received Return request saying 'item not working' on New item with warranty

Deleting all your other items will have no effect on this case, so you might want to leave them up.  Totally your call, though.

Still it seems selling here gives more trouble and waste of time than money for such casual seller as me. If I knew how things work for sellers on ebay earlier - wouldn't even start selling. Doesn't really matter whether this case will be resolved

Message 16 of 123
latest reply

I would accept the return to try to get the item back. Anything else will only be worse. 

Message 17 of 123
latest reply

@m60driver wrote:

Are you telling us that neither you nor anyone else you know have ever bought a new item that turned out to be defective?

Its possible. But 1) there's warranty. I even offered buyer to help with warranty - no response yet. Item is high quality from good brand (one of the best on the market)

2) Its WAY WAY MORE LIKELY buyer bought smth incompatible with what he has. Also usually its very hard to determine which PC part actually not working. Often all of them work, one just need to play with settings/check internet forums and/or of could be 100 of other scenarios

Message 18 of 123
latest reply

@stridder123 wrote:

Thank you

Buyer doesn't claim anything like 'the item not as described'. Buyer claims it doesn't work with their hardware.

Is there anything I can do or seller is always assumed 'At fault' on ebay no matter what?

If so, I will just stop selling on ebay (I sell once in half a year here), thus my seller rating doesn't really matter anymore

'Your no returns policy is for reasons of buyers remorse' - what this actually means?

If you have a no return policy and the buyer opened a return request, I think the only reason they could use to make it go through is a not as described reason?  I might be wrong but this seems right.

We get it that buyers will use any reason to not invest any more money in a transactions that was not perfect. I hope you can also understand that as well?  Your no returns policy sort of forces buyers to make up reasons for the return.

In your category of items you really need to be very specific about what and where the item will work and sometimes this requires you to provide extra customer service and instructions to buyers in the package about how to install the parts.

I understand this is a lot of extra work but you need to understand because of the popularity of your category your risk / reward is much higher meaning younwill reap more and also have more issues than most categories and you will see more of these instances as you grow as a seller.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 19 of 123
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

Might as well hit return for refund get it over with quick and then if item comes back in a condition it wasn't sold in you can lodge a complaint with ebay for buyers misuse of MBG....

Thanks!

I guess if package was sealed it would wouldn't work as condition it wasn't sold?:)

Could you give example on this? and how to proof it?

Take photos right after openning box?

What if I determine the part actually works after it comes back? I'm actually 99% sure its good

Message 20 of 123
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

If you have a no return policy and the buyer opened a return request, I think the only reason they could use to make it go through is a not as described reason?  I might be wrong but this seems right.

Indicated Reason:

'Doesn't work or defective'

with comment: part doesn't work on my hardware

Message 21 of 123
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

I understand this is a lot of extra work but you need to understand because of the popularity of your category your risk / reward is much higher meaning younwill reap more and also have more issues than most categories and you will see more of these instances as you grow as a seller.

I originally bought it for myself, than changed my mind and sold it slightly cheaper than price I paid myself (especially if we count seller fee). So no reward here.

Message 22 of 123
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

@stridder123 wrote:

Thank you

Buyer doesn't claim anything like 'the item not as described'. Buyer claims it doesn't work with their hardware.

Is there anything I can do or seller is always assumed 'At fault' on ebay no matter what?

If so, I will just stop selling on ebay (I sell once in half a year here), thus my seller rating doesn't really matter anymore

'Your no returns policy is for reasons of buyers remorse' - what this actually means?

We get it that buyers will use any reason to not invest any more money in a transactions that was not perfect. I hope you can also understand that as well?  Your no returns policy sort of forces buyers to make up reasons for the return.

In your category of items you really need to be very specific about what and where the item will work and sometimes this requires you to provide extra customer service and instructions to buyers in the package about how to install the parts.

Good Luck Selling!

Buyers can still file a remorse return when the seller has a no return policy. It’s not blocked. The return request goes through and the seller gets the usual response options plus the option to decline the return 🙂

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 23 of 123
latest reply

@stridder123 wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

I originally bought it for myself, than changed my mind and sold it slightly cheaper than price I paid myself (especially if we count seller fee). So no reward here.

@stridder123. You seem to have very good attitude and I want you to succeed.  Just understand sometimes you have to bite your tongue and finish these return requests although you know it was not right. 

All of us have to do this just like B&M stores do it every day.  It really is just part of doing business regardless if it is done online or at a local store.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 24 of 123
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

@stridder123 wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

@stridder123. You seem to have very good attitude and I want you to succeed.  Just understand sometimes you have to bite your tongue and finish these return requests although you know it was not right. 

All of us have to do this just like B&M stores do it every day.  It really is just part of doing business regardless if it is done online or at a local store.

Good Luck Selling!

Like you philosophy, no kidding:)

Just wanna make things clear: I don't really have selling business here or anywhere else. Even if ebay closes my account tomorrow - not a big deal

Message 25 of 123
latest reply

@stridder123. You still have  way out.  After you accept the return or eBay auto sends the buyer  a return shipping label.  The buyer has 5 business days (m-f) or 7 days total to get an acceptance scan to show they have started the return process.  In my experiences I find that about half of all returns never happen. 

If after this time frame and no acceptance scan you can call eBay and have them close the return request in your favor, which means no refund for the buyer even if they try to return after the time frame.

That does not mean if they do return it that you would not refund(you would currently have the item and the payment) them but it give you an advantage to reduce the refund they originally requested.  If the item is not in the same condition you would have the right to refund them less than the selling price.

After all you took a lose and they did not respond in the time frame outlined to them in the MBG. 

Things can and often do work out correctly but you have to go through the process.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 26 of 123
latest reply

Its possible. But 1) there's warranty. I even offered buyer to help with warranty - no response yet. Item is high quality from good brand (one of the best on the market)

2) Its WAY WAY MORE LIKELY buyer bought smth incompatible with what he has.

So let's say your guess is correct.

Buyer can choose to return it to you, and know for absolute certainty that the return will succeed.  If you're smart, you will accept the return and quickly refund upon return. If you're not smart, eBay will refund, and you'll be in for a truckload of grief.

Or, buyer can try the warranty, and wonder how that might go.

Which would you choose if you were buyer?

Message 27 of 123
latest reply

That does not mean if they do return it that you would not refund(you would currently have the item and the payment) them but it give you an advantage to reduce the refund they originally requested. 

Faulty SNAD returns cannot be ajudicated by a unilateral partial. 

Message 28 of 123
latest reply

@stridder123 wrote:

Thanks, but I doubt brand new sealed part may not work.

Buyer likely ordered wrong/incompatible part, which is pretty common for computer parts. or who knows what

I've bought new items at the store that didn't work.

You didn't test the item, so you don't know for sure the item wasn't defective.

Have a great day
Message 29 of 123
latest reply

@stridder123 wrote:

So whats my best strategy?

Accept the return and send a return shipping label.

Have a great day
Message 30 of 123
latest reply