cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more return funds on holds?

I've currently got two pending returns, neither have the funds on hold like usually done.  Of course one return is bogus I lost money on paying to ship back because the zero feedback buyer can't be bothered to press two buttons I sent instructions on how to reset and claims it doesn't work and won't even acknowledge attempts at resetting it, even though it passes all it's own self test.  The other is a cpu they ordered the wrong socket for and after they discovered they have to pay return shipping for remorse returns, no longer responds to messages or takes action on the return so it's probably going to be open for months.  

Am I to expect what everyone seems to be experiencing where they ask for a credit card to return the funds even though I'm on managed payments and they pull funds at will?  Why not put funds for either on hold with a separate notification like all the others?

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

@jahood1984 I first noticed eBay was not holding funds on remorse returns back in April, but at the time it seemed like it was only applying to some sellers and there was no rhyme or reason to it.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Has-eBay-changed-policy-on-holds-for-returns/m-p/31769178/hig... 

More recently I've noticed funds are not being held on INR or INAD cases either.  My experience in the last month or two has been that the funds don't go on hold unless/until it is escalated for eBay to make a decision in the case.

tyler@ebay  back in April you said you were going to run it up the flagpole to see if there had been any changes in how holds on funds for returns were being handled in Managed Payments, but we never got any concrete answers.  Any updates on this?

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

I like it better this way.  Refunds just come out of your mp bank account  or cc 

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

Someone filed a false SNAD on me a couple days ago and eBay did not put the funds on hold. That's the first time eBay hasn't held the funds. It was under $100 - not sure if that's relevant, but throwing it out there in case it is.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 30
latest reply

These are both under $100 but the one I had last month under 100 was put on hold.  One of these is remorse and one is inad/not working.  I'd prefer they put the funds on hold honestly, mostly because I know these can longer open a long time.  One of my last returns took almost 2 months to close, if I knew it wouldn't be so long I could at least ensure I have funds in my pending mp balance.   

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Someone filed a false SNAD on me a couple days ago and eBay did not put the funds on hold. That's the first time eBay hasn't held the funds. It was under $100 - not sure if that's relevant, but throwing it out there in case it is.

We had 1 in early October and they did not "hold" the monies.  It was only $28, but I thought it was really off it was not held.  

I would prefer it this way.  As a Seller, I can certainly manage this process with a Buyer and I think we should be able to do so.  If it is a high dollar amount, am guessing they still hold it?  Wonder what the threshold is?

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 6 of 30
latest reply

@katzrul15  I've had one that was about $260 that was not held.

Back in April Tyler had thought it was maybe a Top Rated Seller thing, which at the time didn't really match what we were seeing. Maybe that was a limited test (like the picture requirement for returns test they are running now) and now they have expanded it to more sellers?

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

Let me tell you, patience and silence can pay off in these cases.

You don't lose money on a shipping label unless the buyer uses it, in which case you're getting something back because "use" happens when a shipping company employee scans the label.

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

This one's likely attributable to more bad coding, simply put the errors in the program are causing all sorts of malfunctions.  And it's not just eaby, every large corporation with a web site, apps, they're all badly coded. Who knows why they would pay the kind of money they do just to receive garbage programming in their software that their employees and customers must use.

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

@px_455 wrote:

This one's likely attributable to more bad coding, simply put the errors in the program are causing all sorts of malfunctions.  And it's not just eaby, every large corporation with a web site, apps, they're all badly coded. Who knows why they would pay the kind of money they do just to receive garbage programming in their software that their employees and customers must use.

@px_455 while there are certainly many examples of bad coding on this site, I'm not sure this is one of them - this seems to be a very intentional change in my opinion.

Previously funds were held at the time a return request or case was opened - now the funds are only being held if/when the case is escalated for eBay to step in (at least in my experience).

If it was just no hold at all that could be a random coding error, maybe, but to me the fact that the funds do still go on hold on escalation would require programing to change when the funds are held, which would seem to indicate this is likely an intentional act on eBay's part.

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

Interesting. I had a $20 remorse return that was put on hold in October. I was expecting the hold, though...

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@px_455 wrote:

@px_455 while there are certainly many examples of bad coding on this site, I'm not sure this is one of them - this seems to be a very intentional change in my opinion.

Previously funds were held at the time a return request or case was opened - now the funds are only being held if/when the case is escalated for eBay to step in (at least in my experience).

If it was just no hold at all that could be a random coding error, maybe, but to me the fact that the funds do still go on hold on escalation would require programing to change when the funds are held, which would seem to indicate this is likely an intentional act on eBay's part.

I would think eaby would prefer to have the funds in ALL cases.

But whichever it is, no problems from me lol

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

Interesting. I had a $20 remorse return that was put on hold in October. I was expecting the hold, though...

@mtgraves7984 thanks for that confirmation.

tyler@ebay  velvet@ebay  is there another test going on or has there been a change in how eBay handles holds for returns/claims?

If so, what would be the criteria looked at - TRS status, sales volume, lower than average returns/claims within a certain timeframe, good Service Metrics....all of the above, none of the above, something else?

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

@katzrul15  I've had one that was about $260 that was not held.

Back in April Tyler had thought it was maybe a Top Rated Seller thing, which at the time didn't really match what we were seeing. Maybe that was a limited test (like the picture requirement for returns test they are running now) and now they have expanded it to more sellers?

Not sure.  We are TRS....that listing qualified for TRS+.  Ours was only $28.......

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 14 of 30
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

@mtgraves7984 thanks for that confirmation.

tyler@ebay  velvet@ebay  is there another test going on or has there been a change in how eBay handles holds for returns/claims?

If so, what would be the criteria looked at - TRS status, sales volume, lower than average returns/claims within a certain timeframe, good Service Metrics....all of the above, none of the above, something else?

Hey @valueaddedresource! There's no test going on that we're aware of. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 15 of 30
latest reply