cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-paying Bidder Alert

Am I crazy or is there no longer a way to do a non-paying bidder alert.  I've been doing this for 20 years and suddenly it's nowhere to be found.  Help.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Non-paying Bidder Alert

@judesantiquesnbooks 

Unless the seller goes in to manually change it, eBay will automatically issue a strike after 4 days of nonpayment. 

It seems, with managed payments, eBay loses money when a buyer doesn’t pay and this, THEY are going after the buyer. 
Previously, they got their fees, even when a buyer didn’t pay. It was up to the seller to report the unpaid item. Those that didn’t file, were carrying the deadbeats and letting them get away with it.  

With the new system, buyers receive a strongly worded reminder from eBay and if there is no payment, eBay cancels the listing after 96 hours and issues a strike.
No more pussy footing around. eBay wants their money. 

Buyers that worked the old system are now coming here surprised that they were issued a strike do early. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Non-paying Bidder Alert

Ebay changed everything and has extended the length of time a buyer has to pay. It used to be 2 days, now it's 4 days before you can take action.
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items?id=4137&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=...

-------------
Posting ID
Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Non-paying Bidder Alert

@judesantiquesnbooks 

Unless the seller goes in to manually change it, eBay will automatically issue a strike after 4 days of nonpayment. 

It seems, with managed payments, eBay loses money when a buyer doesn’t pay and this, THEY are going after the buyer. 
Previously, they got their fees, even when a buyer didn’t pay. It was up to the seller to report the unpaid item. Those that didn’t file, were carrying the deadbeats and letting them get away with it.  

With the new system, buyers receive a strongly worded reminder from eBay and if there is no payment, eBay cancels the listing after 96 hours and issues a strike.
No more pussy footing around. eBay wants their money. 

Buyers that worked the old system are now coming here surprised that they were issued a strike do early. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Non-paying Bidder Alert

I'm not aware that eBay has ever had a non-paying bidder alert.  What are you talking about?

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Non-paying Bidder Alert

@wesk_36 wrote:

Ebay changed everything and has extended the length of time a buyer has to pay. It used to be 2 days, now it's 4 days before you can take action.
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items?id=4137&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=...

They have actually REDUCED the time!

You would need to understand how the new process that is faster and easier works.

You now have to wait 4 days to start the process instead of two but the "process" is instant, you file on day 4, and the strike is issued immediately. Since no payment was made no fees have been charged so no refund required to recoup fees.

Bottom line, the process now takes 4 days instead of 5 days.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

Non-paying Bidder Alert

It is done automatically now. I the buyer does not pay after 5 days you cancel and buyer gets a strike.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Non-paying Bidder Alert

My buyer is on day 6 and I don't see any action, do sellers have any access to view actions against that buyer or do we receive any type of notification?  Also, do I need to cancel the order in order to get fees refunded and relist?  I have also been doing this over 20 years and these new processes are losing me! lol 🙂 Appreciate any feedback.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Non-paying Bidder Alert

How do you know that bidder gets a strike for non-payment?  I had a bidder that didn’t pay for 7 days after repeated promises.  I was told I could cancel the transaction and resell my item, but when I cancelled I was told I couldn’t leave feedback.  So how do other sellers find out about non-paying bidders??

Sews4you
(Peggy)
Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Non-paying Bidder Alert

What is a "non-paying bidder alert"?

Are you talking about a seller opening an unpaid item case when a buyer has not paid within 48 hours?

If so, eBay takes care of this for you now.  After 4 days, they cancel and refund your FVF.

If that didn't happen in your case, why not go to the Resolution Center and see if you can open a case there?

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Non-paying Bidder Alert

No, I am talking about not being able to leave appropriate feedback when a bidder doesn’t pay.  What does it accomplish to have eBay cancel the transaction if I can’t leave feedback to warn other sellers?

Sews4you
(Peggy)
Message 10 of 27
latest reply

Non-paying Bidder Alert

It's been over eight years since sellers could leave negative feedback.

And a good thing too.

Who do you think ever read that feedback?
Not the deadbeat. He knows he didn't pay and doesn't care.

Not your fellow sellers.

85% or more of transactions are Fixed Price. Those sellers only learn who the buyer is when he buys.

Most auctions include either Best Offer or Buy It Now options. The BIN sellers only learn who the buyer is when he buys.

Not eBay. EBay does not use feedback (which is voluntary and actually rarely left at all) to assess member accounts.

The only reader is your future customer.

And how do you think she will react when she sees you badmouthing another buyer?

Yep.

EBay will open an Unpaid Item Dispute after 96 hours. And close it almost immediately. This is two to four days faster than the previous system which also required the seller to put the Dispute into motion.

@dryophelia  I had not thought of that reason why eBay moved to this new system. For once, it has done something that will save sellers money and time. Wow.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Non-paying Bidder Alert

It isn’t automatic unless you have it set up to be automatic. Go to the order and cancel using the reason nonpayment.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Non-paying Bidder Alert

I am in Aus, and when this changed it was set as a default, not saying it is the same over there in the US, but just be careful and double check your settings if you don't want eBay to step in automatically.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Non-paying Bidder Alert

I am glad to hear these deadbeat non-paying bidders (also in most cases so rude they don't even acknowledge or reply to polite reminders to pay) are getting strikes.  I was surprised that the non-paying bidder alert went  away since I have also been using this method for 20 years.  But the new cancellation seems simpler as long as it serves the same purpose.  If the "block bidder list" is still in use, I will continue as before and block the idiot blockhead.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

Non-paying Bidder Alert

Yes, the blocked bidder list is still available but I can’t tell you if it works.

Peggy

Sews4you
(Peggy)
Message 15 of 27
latest reply