cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New scam after 140 days of purchase/136 days after delivery

I haven`t seen anything like this, but you guys might know what to do. Very strange/fishy situation.

An UK buyer (registered in the UK, but the name is not British) with a private feedback (there is always a reason why users use that option!) provided the US address to ship. The items were delivered on April 3, today is August 8. ebay shows as delivered by USPS to that address, but USPS had already recycled the number, and it is not in the system with the progress/delivery.

The buyer claims that he used a consolidator in Nashua, NH (Stackry or another one according to the address) and that the business is closing and they say they can only return to sender or destroy the items. It`s been over 5 months since the delivery!

The buyer asked me to help "receiving the item".  Sounds like Nigerian scam to me.

What is it all about? Am I covered from this nonsense if he goes the hard way?

P.S. Here is some of his text:

"Good afternoon!

I wish my message finds you very well.

I purchase from you xxx

I travel a lot for long periods sometimes and nobody is available to receive packages and due that I need to use a package forwarder to receive my packages, consolidate the purchases and when at home send to me.

The business is closing and the only option they provides me is to ship the package to the sender.... or "destroy them" (maybe the ducks magically appears on the living room of someone)

The only other option they provides is destroy the item and the amount paid was converted on waste. You remember the amount was not little because I made some purchases.

Do you can help me receiving the item? I purchase it again if you wish and now provides my address to send it.

Please help me, they only option they give me is return to seller or destroy them.

Let me know your comments"

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

@beautifulbeauty2012 

Anytime something is mailed to a freight forwarder, the seller's obligation is met once the item shows as delivered to that freight forwarder's address and ebay does not protect buyer's who use freight forwarders bc the ff is considered a 3rd party entity. The philosophy being that the mailed product can be altered at the freight facility so may not reach the buyer in its original condition.

Here ais the eBay link re this>

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Message 2 of 61
latest reply

My concern is that USPS doesn`t have that delivery information on their website because they don`t keep old info. ebay shows as delivered, and an agent said nothing to worry about. I still have some concerns since it is under 180 days.

What is he trying to do here?

Message 3 of 61
latest reply

The text of the buyer's email seems far more reasonable than your interpretation of their intent.

Message 4 of 61
latest reply

Tell me their "reason" then. I doubt you can do it correctly though.

Message 5 of 61
latest reply

Just seems like the FF closing and his package is stuck.

I'd personally help him out, as long as I'm not paying anything out of pocket.

Message 6 of 61
latest reply

Option 1 would be, "not your problem". This is between the FF and his customer. 

Option 2 might be if you randomly receive the item back, refund appropriately less shipping you paid. 

I would not be involving myself otherwise.

Posting ID
Message 7 of 61
latest reply

I like option one,     

What can the OP do that the "Buyer"  can't do for himself?

Message 8 of 61
latest reply

It`s been over 5 months since the purchase/delivery, he had plenty of time to reconsolidate packages. And the shipping difference for the items he purchased between the US and the UK was only $6!

There is no guarantee that once he pays again and provides the UK address, he won`t file NAD or something else and get the items for free. His private feedback is a huge red flag for me as a seller; those buyers always have something to hide like too many negatives to sellers left or the same issues. 

ebay said ignore and block.

Message 9 of 61
latest reply

I like your answer!

Message 10 of 61
latest reply

As far as eBay is concerned, you are in the clear.  The eBay Money-Back-Guarantee is only for 30 days, after that the buyer cannot claim MBG protections/refunds.

As far as the customer, have them simply tell the FF to return your shipment to you and you will then refund and relist the item.  You will not refund the original shipping since the package was delivered (the FF status is not your problem to resolve), and you will deduct a handling charge of xx% for reprocessing the package.

If the package is returned, AND it is complete and UNopened, then open and confirm condition of the item inside.  If it is damaged, that handling fee may need to be increased.  If it is undamaged, then a) you packaged it very well!, and b) you refund the adjusted purchase price and relist the item, sending the new listing number to the buyer.

If you are enrolled in eBay's newest international shipping service, you don't add any offshore shipping options - just domestic US.  eBay will display the international service to international buyers.  You will pay to ship to a service center, eBay reships to customer, and if the customer has any issues, eBay will deal with those, not you.  It actually sounds like a pretty sweet deal -- and no fussing from the buyer about the cost of shipping -- that is a conversation they should have with eBay, not you.

So... technically you need to do nothing.  If you do decide to help them out, be sure to protect yourself financially and you should be fine.  It's better to inform a customer that their refund will be reduce by shipping & handling and then not have to, than it is to not inform them and then find out you either got played or need to package better.

There is one twist.... the buyer could actually be a reseller who buys on eBay and resells elsewhere.  If the item doesn't sell withing xx days, this message is sent to the seller to attempt to recover the investment, possibly even at the expense of the seller.

And be doubly cautious of any package returned that is not as shipped.  If the FF opened and repacked, there could be damage or missing pieces.  Hence the handling charge.

Good luck, and do please keep us updated!

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 11 of 61
latest reply

Could also be a hacked account and the person contacting you is phishing. 

Posting ID
Message 12 of 61
latest reply

USPS has the info. Go see your local Post Master.

Message 13 of 61
latest reply

@beautifulbeauty2012 wrote:

It`s been over 5 months since the purchase/delivery, he had plenty of time to reconsolidate packages. And the shipping difference for the items he purchased between the US and the UK was only $6!

This round of Covid must be dulling my senses....

If it's been 5 MONTHS and the FF is just now getting in touch with the customer that they cannot forward the package...........

That doesn't pass the sniff test to me.  Who would wait almost half a year to receive something bought and paid for, and that you paid EXTRA for the import/delivery?  That whole story just got a lot more rancid.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 14 of 61
latest reply

As others mentioned you should be in the clear and this is between the buyer and the FF. About the only thing you may have to worry about is the buyer opening a INR chargeback which pretty much overrides and nullifies any of eBay's policies. However, should they do so the messages you have from the buyer and the shipping information you have from the order, which I would download from eBay to a file, should be sufficient to win the chargeback. In the meantime I would do as dnasilver suggested and talk with your postmaster and sell if they can pull the shipping information for you, including showing delivery to the FF. 

Out of  curiosity do you happen to know the FF and the address and if so could you post it please. Other sellers may be interested if this is indeed not some type of scam, and those sellers have packages being processed through that FF. 

Message 15 of 61
latest reply